The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Big E...
Don Lanier

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2015 7:51 pm    

I remember it may have been my first year at the ISGC as sound guy and it was a pretty packed house, then still at the Millenium, and Buddy was scheduled to play, the crowd came pouring in thru the doors and people were jockeying for the close seats and filling the Aisles and really packing up close, I didnt know who the Big E was, I was new to this Steel Guitar and I had never seen or heard him. He started his set and the band was smoking and E was playing Licks that had my ears perking up, after his show I realized I had just witnessed Greatness, True Talent of an Immense size, he captivated the entire room, people stopped talking...and he played with a touch, that was unlike what Id heard, Mr Emmons Im so glad I got to see you several times at the ISGC....The most fun was the Big Song Talent show that Russ and his Wife put on and I was in awe of this guy, He was Hip, and Cool and easy and just played steel like it flowed right thru him, when he played people turned and paid attention, he was the epitomy of the Instrument, Im sure the Steelers feel this loss as if its a family member, God Rest His soul, RIP Big E,
https://www.facebook.com/Pearlprocase

dlayne

OH
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2015 8:06 pm     Big E

I just heard about this, I am at a loss for words, Heartbroken...

Rest In Peace Big E

Dale Hampton

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2015 8:06 pm    

This is a sad day. Thank you Buddy for all that you have done for the steel guitar. your innovations and playing will live on for ever. RIP.

Terry Edwards

Florida... livin' on spongecake...
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2015 8:14 pm    

Thank you, Buddy, for enriching our lives with your music. Rest well.

Andy Eder

North Florida, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2015 8:18 pm    

A huge loss to the musical community, RIP Buddy Crying or Very sad Sad

George Redmon

Muskegon & Detroit Michigan.
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2015 8:20 pm    

Beyond words. I will truly miss my mentor. There will never be another like him, who gave so much.

Al Vesel

Chisholm, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2015 8:21 pm     Buddy's passing !!

There are too many words that come to mind when a legend like this passes on!!

TXS for the memories, Buddy!!

You will be greatly missed !!!

Al Vesel
Emmons LeGrande SKH D-10 - WALKER STEREO STEEL AMP w JBL ENCLOSURES & TC ELECTRONICS M-ONE XL PROCESSOR, HILTON VP,FURMAN POWER CONDITIONER, SARNO's Steel Guitar BLACK BOX,BJS,ToneMaster bars,FENDER Strat, FENDER & Ovation acoustic's

Jim Hinds

Gallatin, TN USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2015 8:23 pm    

Thank you Buddy.

Robbie Bossert

WESCOSVILLE,PA,U.S.A.
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2015 8:33 pm    

R.I.P. Buddy.. Thanks for everything....We are steel players and you're the biggest reason why.....

Robbie Bossert

Sad

Last edited by Robbie Bossert on 29 Jul 2015 8:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

Bill Cunningham

Atlanta, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2015 8:34 pm    

A friend sent me an e mail this afternoon. I have just arrived back at my hotel room and am very sad and in shock. I heard Buddy live the first time in Atlanta in 1981 and only had brief conversations with him once in Knoxville and once in Dallas. Years ago in Knoxville I told him a story of me recently being in Ottawa Canada and hearing a DJ announce that it was his 40th birthday. He got a kick out of that and gave his trademark laugh because in fact it had been his 50th!

I can think of three times in my life that I have been moved to tears by the death of someone other than family or close personal friend. When Hal and Maurice passed and now this.

Rest in peace sir. Your contributions have earned you a place in musical history with the greatest of the greats. Crying or Very sad

rick andrews

Westminster Co 80031
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2015 8:55 pm    

I was and always will be filled with an unequivocal sense of awe and wonder.

Thank you
Thank you
Thank you

Bill Bailey

Kingman, AZ
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2015 9:09 pm     Buddy

Shocked I first saw the news about Buddy on Face Book. I was of course shocked at the news. Pretty much all that has been said already about Buddy can't be matched by me. I will just say, when I bought my first Pedal Steel, A Sho-Bud from Dee Carestia, Dee showed me how to tune it and play some licks to get me started, but the best advice I got from him was to get all the Ernest Tubb, Ray Price, Buck Owens and Connie Smith records I could find, since Ray and Ernest had a lot of Buddy Emmons and Jimmy Day playing on them. That was my introduction to Buddy Emmons. I have a lot of Steel players I call my heroes and among them there will always be Buddy Emmons. My the Lord open the gates of Heaven for Buddy Emmons, Thanks Hoss.
92 Emmons Lashley LeGrande D-10
Two Nashville 400 Amps and Nashvill 112.

Chris Templeton

The Green Mountain State
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2015 9:10 pm    

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2015 9:19 pm    

Buddy Emmons was one of those steel players who took the steel to a beautiful place in country music. He inspired me and so many other steel players and he encouraged and inspired all of us steel players to play this beautiful instrument called the steel guitar. After hearing his "Christmas Sounds Of The Steel Guitar record in 1998, I had no idea that I would be starting to play steel in 1999. I have a few great memories of Mr. Emmons. When I met him in 2002, I was at the Midnite Jamboree at the Texas Troubador Theater, where he was playing steel with Johnny Bush-he was playing the "Black Bart" guitar-an Emmons Lashley Legrande III. I was seated with my parents and also guys like Tommy White, John Hughey, and Dave Robbins. After the show, I walked up to Buddy, he looks at me and says, "So, you're Brett", and I said yes. He was really happy to meet me, and then two years later after eating lunch in Nashville before my set at an NTSGA show, I got out of the car and I walked into the building where the show was with Buddy. I told him I was still playing an Emmons and he smiled. RIP, Mr. Buddy Emmons, you will be missed
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Lucky Oceans

Fremantle, W Australia, Australia
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2015 9:28 pm    

Steel players don't agree about much but we all know that Buddy is the best, a Master, a visionary innovator over decades and a soul man. He touched us all and his passing leaves me in deep sadness. Hoping that somehow Buddy will find the happiness, revelation and excitement that he gave to us over all these years.

Tucker Jackson

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2015 9:30 pm    

What Shakespeare was to the English language, Mr. Emmons was to the steel guitar. His accomplishments may never be surpassed.

It's definitely the end of an era. Thanks for everything, Big E. You were the one.

Bruce W Heffner

Payson, Arizona
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2015 9:41 pm     Sing a Sad Song and Sing it for Me

RIP my friend Buddy Emmons

Bruce

"We live in Arizona now."

Payson, AZ

Elizabeth West

Surrey, B.C., Canada
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2015 9:42 pm    

The Steel Master has passed however, his talent well live on through his playing and the innovation of the pedal steel guitar he's left behind.RIP

Last edited by Elizabeth West on 29 Jul 2015 9:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

Gary Schwartz

Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2015 9:42 pm    

the best - thanks for the great music.

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2015 9:56 pm    

RIP maestro.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,

Ben Morine

Queensland, Australia
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2015 10:19 pm    

Only being a newbie to the pedal steel world, this man was indeed the BEST.

Without Gifts from God like Buddy Emmons, the world would be such an ordinary place.

RIP Steel King

RESPECT

Michael Dene

Gippsland,Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2015 10:20 pm    

Thank you for the music, the sharing, the inspiration and your incredible innovation to the Steel Guitar.

RIP

Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2015 10:25 pm    

All day long I've been trying to come up with something meaningful & poignant to say...
So much has already been said, & it's tough to find the words.

A million thanks to Buddy for lighting the way for so many of us.
Vaya con Dios, Big E

Dean Holman

Branson MO
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2015 10:52 pm    

I can't even remotely say anything that hasn't already been said except your music and your smile spoke volumes and you were well loved here on earth and that will never change and you will never ever be forgotten. I also want to thank God for giving us Buddy Emmons.

Allan Thompson

Scotland.
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2015 10:53 pm    

R.I.P. Mr Emmons. You are the reason I took up this wonderful instrument. Thank you.