The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  A Word or Two About TERRY BETHEL
Jeremiah Hanley

Springfield, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2015 1:09 pm    

Terry Bethel, president of the Ozark Steel Guitar Association! For many years now, Terry had to be working across America for his boss, Mel Tillis. But now that he's retired from the road, we get to share with him the many stories of his experiences on the road and stage. He has undergone several mishaps on the highways of America but we're glad that he survived them. Here at home we had several by-monthly jams without him, as well as some of the February shows, so we're looking forward of having his presence at the events that are to come.

His friendship with his peers in the world of entertainment affords him with a long list of top-notch steel players. And because of that connection that he has, we get to enjoy their great talents at our shows. Probably his invitation to come to play at the OzSGA shows is not a 'yes' or 'no', but "when can I come"? I'm sure the top-notch bands that he invites is a strong incentive for super pickers to come. We're very fortunate to have Terry at the helm of our activities! And his talent on the steel guitar does not seem to be upstaged by his fellow steel guitar players. In other words, we need to give Terry Bethel a great big thank-you for all he does!!

Roy Rosetta

Nederland, Texas.. On the Texas Gulf Coast
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2015 1:20 pm    

A M E N !!!! Well said Jerry.
...Roy and Barbara

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2015 1:32 pm    

I met Terry backstage at a Mel Tillis show in Wattsburg,PA many years ago and he was kind enough to answer all my many questions.

Around 1982 I bought a new Sho-Bud D-10, 8+8 that had an assembly tag signed by Terry. My dealer at the time, claimed that it was assembled by Terry Bethel the steel player. I have no idea but it seems possible because he said the assembler said I had all my knee levers on the wrong knees! Back then I had no clue what half of them did but I did know how to read the published copedant charts and fill in the Sho-Bud order form LOL.

The Bethel guitar was another nice involvement that I though was a great machine and played super smooth.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Bob Frederick

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2015 3:09 pm     Terry Bethel

Thanks for the great show last year at the Quad Cities steel show. We missed you this year and look forward to having you again in the near future.

Thanks for everything you have done for the steel guitar community

Larry Baker

Columbia, Mo. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2015 4:18 pm    

Terry is top notch, and a Dear Friend. Larry and Jean

Ted Barnhouse II

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2015 5:06 pm    

I really enjoyed the interaction with Terry at the Branson Show. I go to listen and learn something on the steel guitar. Sometimes I go just to talk to the players no matter what the skill level. Where else can you get all this but a Steel Guitar Show. WOW!

Michael McGee

Everton, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2015 6:13 pm    

Agreed, Jeremiah! We are blessed by all he does for OzSGA. He is a best friend, a mentor, and like a brother to me, and I treasure our times together. Thank you, Terry!

Clark Doughty

KANSAS
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2015 7:15 pm     Terry Bethel

Thanks for your post Jerry. We are certainly blessed in this part of the country to have such talent available and the privilege of hearing such class players. Thanks to Terry and all of you at OSGA who do a magnificent job of putting this all together. Besides all the great steel players and singers the backup band is second to none. Also the worship service is just a real blessing and very up lifting.......thanks again for all you do..clark and lucy Smile

Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2015 9:14 pm    

Thank you Terry for welcoming us in to your show. It has been a thrill everytime we have gotten to play on the OzSGA shows. Terry could have filled our spots with great players but for reasons I guess only Terry knows he has made a spot for us for many years. Thank you Terry and thank you Jerry Hanley for your years of friendship along with your wonderful wife Venda.
Jerry and Carlene

Martha Randall

Hollister, MO
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2015 8:32 am    

I met Terry 41 years ago this Sept 24th, He was a great friend to my husband and my daughter still calls him Uncle Terry. In March of 2014 he asked me to build a website for him(terrybethelmusic.com) Although I had never done that he said he had confidence in me & to go for it...lol....with all his pictures and stories I completed the start of the site. I continue to update as new pix and stories come along. Last year(2014) was the 1st year I was involved in the Super Event. My husband and I had attended once when it was held at the Baldknobbers. Thanks Mr B for all you do for OzSGA,and newcomers to the steel world, you have mentored so many...and Thanks for being a great friend. I hope to be able to help for years to come...God bless you my friend!

Terry Wood

Marshfield, MO
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2015 11:19 am    

Yes, I'm in Agreement! Terry has always been a helping hand everywhere! The first Steel Guitar Show that I ever hosted was in 2006. Terry came and supported us and helped get us on the Map!

Thanks Big T!

GOD Bless!

Terry and Zane Wood

Junior Knight

Eustace Texas..paddle faster..I hear Banjos...
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2015 12:34 pm    

Mr T..as I call him..is tops in my book!

Jagwire Strings
Facebook/ Junior Knight, Steel Guitar

Ron Scott

Michigan
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2015 8:21 am    

Top notch personality and great person and wonderful player....

Mike Wilkerson

Luther Oklahoma
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2015 12:31 pm    

Lol my buddy Terry.Is it coincidence or fate that everytime he comes to Tulsa hes no more than 3 doors down from me and my wifes room.Man is a sheer genius on the steel.Love ya Terry

Roger Shackelton

MINNESOTA (deceased)
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2015 8:39 pm    

I met Terry in 1968 at the Infamous "Flame Cafe" in Mpls. He was playing a D-10 Domland PSG at the time, for band leader Leon Boulanger.
Leon allowed Terry to play an instrumental once in a while. Smile

Roger

Gil Berry

Westminster, CA, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2015 10:30 pm    

My first lessons came at the Honolulu Conservatory of Music in Flint, Michigan about 1952. I was in a class of about twenty other kids trying to learn on a six string raised nut guitar (The teacher had to have a migraine after each weekly 30-minute lesson). Each week we got a new "Oahu" sheet music piece to take home to learn. My hero then was Terry Bethel. He and several other advanced students at the conservatory were on a weekly "Stars of Tomorrow" broadcast on local radio. I still have an old postcard somewhere with Terry and several of his peers at the conservatory posing for the photo. I never became of "Star" - but I think Terry Bethel certainly has.

Ron Scott

Michigan
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2015 2:57 am    

I think another kid was their too Chuck Rich. My Mom tried to get me to go down but I never did so look what I missed...RS

Martha Randall

Hollister, MO
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2015 6:21 am    

No Chuck didn't make it....Sad

Ray Harrison

Tucson, Arizona, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2015 8:56 am    

Terry is full of stories and IMHO one of the most under-rated players around, even though he is in the HOF. I love the pedal action, tone and the chord structure choices he utilizes.

Love the guy besides all this.
Telonics , Fender Rumble500, Polytone Amps
D-16 Martin, 1970 Ovation guitars

Martha Randall

Hollister, MO
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2015 9:04 am    

Ron can you scan that postcard and email to me so I can put it on his website?...mjr2349@gmail.com....thx!...Smile

Buck Grantham

Denham Springs, LA. USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2015 10:29 am     Terry Bethel

Terry is one of the best friends we have. Since We met him a long time ago he has treated us like his brother and sister so we truly consider him our brother and we love him dearly. He has helped a lot of people throughout his long musical life. Buck and Mitzi Grantham,

Gil Berry

Westminster, CA, USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2015 11:01 am    

Martha, if I can find it, I'll certainly scan it and forward it to you. Gil

Ron Scott

Michigan
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2015 12:34 pm    

Martha I don't know what you are talking about with a card !!! I think Terry himself told me about Chuck Rick. You might check with him...RS

Martha Randall

Hollister, MO
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2015 3:28 pm    

sorry Ron I meant that for Gil...lol...also yes Chuck went to school there....I thought you meant that Chuck came to the Branson Steel show. He was supposed to come but couldn't...Sad

Last edited by Martha Randall on 1 Aug 2015 8:19 pm; edited 3 times in total

Mickey Adams

Bandera Texas
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2015 5:44 pm    

I got to spend a whole week with him last month....So I know...NONE OF THIS IS TRUE...... Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz
Just kidding brother!!!......Next visit to Branson, Terry has agreed to let me interview him for my MEtube channel!....Love you brother Terry!
Anderson, Buscarino, Fender, Roman Guitars, Sarno Octal, Revelation Preamps, BJS BARS, Lots of Blackface Fenders!