The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Looking for Fender Jaguar info?
Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2015 3:38 pm    

The Fender Jaguar is one guitar that I have not owned but maybe......Smile

Is there a clone worth looking into as an original is bringing big $$$$$$

Don't know about the Fender imports so any info is appreciated. I know the guitar scale is 23.5

Alan Tanner

Near Dayton, Ohio
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2015 5:23 pm    

I have two old Fender Jags and wore one completely out.Takes a lot of tinkering to get the bridge and vibrato system to work and stay in tune, but worth the trouble. I did but a Japanese copy a few years back, but found that while it played OK, it suffered from the same vibro maladys. I also found out that the standard hardware and pick guards will not fit the import Jags. Jags were made very popular by the Beach Boys and surfer gang. They have a very unique pickup set up. I have seen the imports here and there for around $800.00 BYMMV....good luck.

Alan Tanner

Near Dayton, Ohio
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2015 5:32 pm    

Here is a little history...... http://www.jag-stang.com/guitars/jaguar/fender-jaguar-history/

Also...there were two series of necks on the originals. One had square inlays and one had "dots", but which one is more desirable I can no longer remember.I think I purchased my first one in 1964, but the neck on it is worn to the bone....

Scott Thomas

Post  Posted 8 Jul 2015 9:06 pm    

The scale is actually 24"

The American Vintage series is pricy, even used. There are two series, the '62 and the '65. You can't really find either one used for under $1,000

The Japanese version are usually called simply "reissues", or MIJ's and can usually be found used in the 700-800 range.

There's a made in Mexico model with vintage specs called the Classic '60s that sells new for a grand.

Then there is the made in Mexico Classic Player model that goes for $800 new.

Finally there is the Squier (Chinese) Vintage Modified Jaguar that goes for $300 new.

There was also a 50th anniversary model with block markers and slightly repositioned trem that you can find used for 1,000 more or less.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2015 2:10 pm    

Original Jaguars (and Jazzmasters) are the bargains of the early Fender stuff! Nice ones, of the 1963 or 1964 vintage, often sell for $3,000 to $4,000. Try getting a Strat or Tele of the same vintage and condition, and you'll pay 3 to 5 times that amount...or more. Whoa!

Back in 1964, a new Jag (Fender's top-of-the-line guitar) or a Jazzmaster would set you back almost $400, but you could get a new Tele for just over $200. Shocked

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2015 6:01 pm    

Thanks for the Jauar info. So many versions so I'll keep my eyes open and try as many as possible. I do have a Jazzmaster that I like and the early surf pics of the Jaguar look cool.

David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2015 7:09 pm    

But of course! Bound to be one, by now...
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/

I just can't see my way through those bizarre bridges - about the least thing I require from a guitar is that the strings not fall off the side of the bridge or neck - but the shapes are groovy, and sifting through Warmoth or USA Custom or even some of Fender's own recent doublebuckie/tunematic bridge offerings could get me there. There's also shortscale.org, most notable for jillions of guitar-outline PDF's, none of which are warranted by ME...
http://shortscale.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=38813

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2015 7:23 pm    

I am going to checkout a Fender Jaguar classic that has decent reviews some improvements over the standard bridge. Sells for $800 new. We'll see?

Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2015 7:54 am    

I guess the guitar never really became popular because they weren't that great for lead, were difficult to tweak precisely, and there was a time when you could barely GIVE them away. I once bought a SHELL PINK original Jaguar at a flea market for $35. Enter Elvis Costello, & suddenly Jags & J-masters were going for big bux again. They are comfortable to play, but require some tweaking to make them good for lead work. My favorite Jag is the one that Conrad Birdie played in "Bye Bye Birdie".

Tom Quinn

Post  Posted 15 Jul 2015 2:02 pm    

Fender Japan makes great Jags and Jazzmasters at the top of their price point. Kenny Vaughan plays a Jaguar all the time on the Marty Stuart show. Not his main axe but he plays it every two weeks or so.

Mark Carlisle

Springville CA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2015 8:59 am    

Surf music was what the Jag was known for, however Joe Pass had no problem getting great jazz tone out of his:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5M7bax-UmnU

Pretty sure this was a loner after he got out of re-hab.

Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2015 9:54 am    

Len,for what a Jag does,there is nothing like it.I have an AVRI ThinSkin with big frets,pictured below.It was part of a special run for Wildwood Music.I have to say that the short scale is easier to play on than the regular Fender scale,but the strings(.010s) feel a little flubby and the overall tone doesn't "ring" the way even my AVRI Jazzmaster(also pictured)does.Heavier strings might help,but I haven't tried that yet,so I couldn't say.It does seem to me that the shorter scale somehow helps with break angle issues.Had to buy a Buzz-Stop for the Jazzmaster but not the Jag.
I do have to say I haven't been impressed(except for price) with any of the 3 foreign-made Fenders I've bought and none of the others I've played,so when I had the bux to get into some of those high-end guitars my teenage self lusted after way back when,I went for AVRI's.Expensive,but worth it to me.

Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2015 6:37 pm    

there is a reason why not many players use the original short scale jags. they sound bad and the scale is too short. yes they are collectible, but so is everything else made in the 60s.

Mark Carlisle

Springville CA
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2015 8:41 am    

So Jags "aren't that good for lead" and "sound bad". Apparently nobody told Joe about that. Scale length is very close to a 175, which he made stunning music on. Guess it's the mechanic not the wrench.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2015 4:47 am    

I think Jags and JM's have less sustain, compared to Strats and Teles, with the reason probably being the bridge design.

Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2015 8:54 am    

Mark Carlisle wrote:
So Jags "aren't that good for lead" and "sound bad". Apparently nobody told Joe about that. Scale length is very close to a 175, which he made stunning music on. Guess it's the mechanic not the wrench.

he never played it when he got out of prison. that was the prison stuff he was using.

Mark Carlisle

Springville CA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2015 9:53 am    

Bill Hatcher wrote:
Mark Carlisle wrote:

he never played it when he got out of prison. that was the prison stuff he was using.

The Jaguar was owned by Synanon, which was not a prison, it was a drug rehab. I have that from the horses mouth, as I met Joe during the time I worked at Group IV Recording in Hollywood. Quite frankly, he really didn't care much about gear.
My point was a gifted musician can make just about any instrument sing.

Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2015 6:29 am    

Mark Carlisle wrote:
Quite frankly, he really didn't care much about gear.
My point was a gifted musician can make just about any instrument sing.

yep. i enjoyed seeing him play several times. once he totally destroyed a sound man. he was getting some feedback on stage during the concert. he looked back at the sound booth and said...."come on man..its just one guitar!" Winking

was looking at some CDs one day and his "six string santa" cd was like a buck...what the heck..bought it. his sound and his playing on it is just stunning. i always liked him, but he was one of the best with the dual technique of the fingers and the pick. he is close to being on my "only on one hand" masters/greats. wes is the thumb...johnny smith is on there..chet atkins..lenny breau. ...pass and jim hall might have to occupy one finger.