The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  too many options
Ted Barnhouse II

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2015 9:42 am    

I hope I'm in the right place for this. I have struggled like most I'm sure over years to learn this beast. I have bought a lot of help items but I've never really found what I've wanted. We have Band In A Box but for me hard to learn. What I really want is a good beat with the bass line that I want without having to get a PHD in how to use it. Am I going to have to record my own stuff as simply as I can and use that? If I do then what do I use? Oh yes I've bought the tracks to. There has to be an easier cheaper way. You all on the forum have many years of experience and surely have an idea. I'm sure other folks would appreciate knowing this to. I thank you all in advance for your help.

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2015 9:49 am    

Since you already have BIAB, you can buy pre-programmed tracks from Jim Baron.

Ted Barnhouse II

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2015 10:05 am    

Mike I think I have some of those. Perhaps more explanation. There is a new product coming out soon for guitar pickers where you plug in your guitar play a few chords for it to learn then step on the pedal and it gives you a basic drum beat and bass line based on the progression you just gave it. It's called the Trio Band Creator and as far as I can tell it only works with a guitar. Very simple.

Storm Rosson

Silver City, NM. USA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2015 10:21 am    

Are u talking about a "looper"? A looper is a pretty simple device to make and record your own "self-played" backtracks as u play them . The length and number of tracks u lay down, and signal quality kinda depends on how much memory space (flash ram via SD chips usually),and the device complexity (more $= more features), and how many instruments u can play.It's more tedious to explain how it works than actually using one, so go to any big-box music store online and u can find a variety of them with various features and prices and a place to start a google search and find out exactly how it works.The one I used to have cost about 180$ but they are cheaper and better now....Stormy Smile

Larry Baker

Columbia, Mo. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2015 1:50 pm    

Ted, where are you located in Mo.? Larry

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2015 1:58 pm    

Also, Jeff Newman has a couple of very good CDS of rhythm tracks called "Steel Tracks" volume 1 and 2. You might want to order them from Fran.

Ted Barnhouse II

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2015 6:13 am    

Larry I am down near Farmington. Storm not a looper. Just want Bass and a good beat. The Trio Band Creator might be what I want but it's not out yet. Mike I have a lot of that stuff. Thank you all for the replies.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2015 9:01 am    

Ted I live near Festus Mo and have a trio pedal on the way. I will try it on pedal steel and let you know. I had BIAB until 2004 and just got tired of it. I also own a pile of drum machines and never got that good on programming. I know what you are after. the rhythm tracks are cool for just those songs but for your own stuff you want the same thing I am after. I will post info whenever I get the TRIO pedal and have a run at it.

Roger Palmer

Rossendale, UK
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2015 9:39 am    

There's also millions of high quality backing tracks on youtube I recently discovered...

Ted Barnhouse II

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2015 10:30 am    

Larry now you're talking. When I first heard of it I started checking with all the Guitar Centers. Some knew what I was talking about but some had to look it up. The one place in St Louis had the same idea I had which was to be there the day they get it and check it out. I like the concept but I'd like to be able to record the songs and keep them for future use. That is the answer no one could give me. With my job I'm able to check out the Guitar Centers around the country. I'd like to hear what you find out thanks much!

Don Barnhardt

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2015 4:56 pm    

Check out the Digitech Trio Band Creator Pedal.

chech out the DigiTech

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2015 5:35 pm    

Ted Barnhouse II wrote:
The Trio Band Creator might be what I want but it's not out yet.

Johnny Baldwin

Long Beach, California, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2015 5:52 pm    

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4484J3JhYGY

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 28 Jun 2015 6:58 pm    

I had a friend of mine ask me today if it slows down like a real drummer… Shocked Laughing

Michael Johnstone

Sylmar,Ca. USA
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2015 12:13 am    

Learn a few licks and turnarounds,join a bar band and play every night for 5 years. Learn more licks and turnarounds as you go. That's how you learn an instrument. There's no gettin' around it and no substitute. Everything else is just conversation.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2015 1:57 pm    

The Trio is impressive.
I will need to spend a lot more time with it (which I do not have right now) before I can give it an honest review but it seems that it will serve really well as a practice tool. I am hoping that it will also be a useful tool for auditioning ideas and variants before committing time to tracking parts.
I have not received the foot controller yet (FS-3X) but I expect it to be an extra $35 well spent.