The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This forum section is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Bobby Lee in the hall of fame, what do you think???
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Bobby Lee in the hall of fame, what do you think???
Jerry Foster

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2014 7:35 am    

It is a great achievement Bob has done with the forum. we have ALL benefited from this program. you truly have my VOTE Very Happy Jerry F.

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2014 2:35 pm    

when I post for sale ad on the forum, I get emails from Spain, Italy, Australia, New Zealand, Malta, Germany, England, South Africa, Japan etc...etc... I don't know anyone else who did more for promotion of steel guitars in the world, than Bob and SGF... I don't know much about steel guitar HOF or their politics and rules, but I know one thing, Bob and his SGF are known all over the world, by thousands and thousands of steel players, and did more for steel players and this instrument, in the recent history, than anyone else I know...

db

Tom OHara

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2014 3:20 pm    

Sure, why not? I met B0b in the early '70's and only purchased a PSG about 4 years ago. The seller recommended joining the Forum and had nothing but great things to say about it. I had no idea until recently that Bobby Lee was the same person who I was in a band with, though only for a short while. I'm very happy to have located him after all these years and to learn that he's responsible for the Forum just blows my mind. I feel obligated now to learn how to play this U12. As mainly a keyboardist, I've always considered the PSG as the B3 of Country Music! Hats off to all you players and especially to B0b.

Bo Legg

Post  Posted 26 Aug 2014 3:41 pm    

Yes and his name written just "b0b" (b zero b) it’s famous to Forum members and the rest can just wonder!!

Stuart Legg

Post  Posted 26 Aug 2014 3:44 pm    

Love your show "Spongeb0b"
Yessssss "b0b"

Don Lanier

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2014 7:11 pm     bob and the HOF

Ive learned more about all of you and the Instrument its use, players etc all right here, seems like a logical choice to me...
https://www.facebook.com/Pearlprocase

Terry Wood

Marshfield, MO
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2014 8:36 am    

Hi Friends of The Steel Forum,

Well, I joined this forum several years ago. I have met and got acquainted with old friends, new friends and just loved ever minute of it. I certainly wished that we would have had this site years ago!

b0b as done a wonderful thing by creating and maintaining this site! He has been great to work with and has helped all of us steel players.

Honestly, I cannot think of anyone else who has done anything more for all of us steel players. He gets my vote 100% We all owe him!!!

Thanks Mr. b0b!

Your Ozarkian Friends,

Terry and Zane Wood

Malcolm McMaster

Beith Ayrshire Scotland
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2014 4:46 pm    

A big yes from me, no one deserves it more. Very Happy
MSA Millenium SD10, GK MB200, Sica 12inch cab, Joyo American Sound Pedal/ Jay Ganz Straight Ahead amp, Telonics 15inch in Peavey cab, Digitech RP150, Peterson tuner.Hilton volume pedal.Scott Dixon seat and guitar flight case.

Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2014 6:26 pm    

I've been saying b0b should be in the Hall of Fame for years---Even though he hates me, and the South, and banjo's. Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green

Bob Kagy

Lafayette, CO USA
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2014 11:09 am    

Warms my heart to see that b0b got this award. I was at the '99 ISCG when he got an award then and was glad to stand up and clap. Not just the forum, but also his presence in making comments in the threads has been a gift.

Joe Goldmark

San Francisco, CA 94131
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2014 11:05 am    

Absolutely HOF. We forget how incredible this Forum was back in the day, when there was no Facebook or any other way to communicate with other steelers. We still enjoy the info and the sense of community that the Forum provides, and I'm sure it still has an incredible impact on newbies.

Most HOFs do have a few categories and I'm a little surprised ours doesn't. There should be a builders section as well. I'm glad that Tom Bradshaw was inducted and b0b needs to be also.

Joe

Emmett Roch

Texas Hill Country
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2014 5:44 pm    

Joe nailed it, as have several who have posted.

YES to b0b in the SGHoF.

steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2015 2:09 pm     Thx b0b

Boy, ain't that the truth. b0b has helped thousands by putting us in touch with one another to share, knowledge of all sorts, not just steel related knowledge.

Friendship, & common bond creation have also been other results. This Forum reminds me of a medieval guild of sorts. Thx, b0b

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2015 9:12 am    

I completely agree with Tom Bradshaw's perspective on this. Hall of Fame type things are not just about line performers. There are contributions at a LOT of levels. For example, athletic hall of famers are not restricted to people whose playing credentials hit the mark. Lots of managers and even strictly owners (e.g., Walt Alston, Tommy Lasorda, Connie Mack as manager; and long-time Red Sox owner Tom Yawkey as Executive) have plaques in Cooperstown. That type of precedent for the SGHOF is already set with Tom's induction, and I see no reason to retreat from that.

IMO, b0b has made several crucial contributions to the advancement of steel guitar, at a lot of levels. I think one can reasonably argue that he and his stewardship of this forum (sorry, b0b - this kind of stuff doesn't happen on its own, you own sigificant responsibility for the success of this forum) have done more to promote steel guitar over the last 15-20 years, in all its forms, than anybody on the planet. And it's not as if he's not an accomplished player and scholar of the instrument.

So, based on observation of how the board has conducted itself in the past, I feel fairly confident that b0b will be inducted into the SGHOF at some point. This type of accolade is made without the input of the person being honored, and that is as it should be. In general, you don't get to decide you're eligible, and you don't get to decide if you're not. Individuals frequently don't understand the scope of their contributions.

On another note, since it came up - I honestly can't think of anybody the SGHOF board has inducted that doesn't deserve it, when considering their contributions during their time and historical/musical context. Of course, not everyone may understand this historical scope. There are a several fairly unrelated historical contexts, musical styles, and time periods for this instrument, and many here relate primarily or exclusively to one. That's fine, but it does not diminish peoples' contributions in one or more of these varied contexts that may not, to many, be front-and-center.

Paul Arntson

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2015 9:34 am    

I agree. b0b and/or the forum are incredibly important to the steel guitar and its progress. It is very significant and it would be nice if that were recognized.

Craig Schwartz

McHenry IL
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2015 3:12 pm    

By far the best 5 dollar donation ive ever spent thats good for the lifetime of the forum , created by "bob"..........answer .......YES

Gary Cooper

Atmore, Alabama
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2015 9:03 am     bOb

Yes sir, bOb should be in the hall of fame. bOb's efforts created 100's if not 1,000's of steel players a venue to talk about our love of the steel guitar, pedal and non-pedal, and also a lot of friendships have been established. I have never met bOb, but I would be honored to shake his hand and say "THANK YOU." The Hall of Fame should include those who have made significant contributions to the steel guitar. bOb has done that.

Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2015 5:50 pm    

Absolutely... b0b should be in.
He's made a real difference for our instrument. We've all benefited from the work he does. As one who started playing eons before the internet, I can really appreciate what he's done...and so can many others.
Let's get him in there.

Dustin Rigsby

Parts Unknown, Ohio
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2015 11:26 pm     Yup !

With the exception of maybe John Fabian (carter starter),No one has done MORE to promote the steel guitar in the past 20 years than Bobby Lee ! He absolutely deserves the cred for his achievement for the instrument. There are SEVERAL players,myself included, for which the learning curve was straightened quite a bit due to the ability to be able to access the great and not so great alike ! I've gotten so much free milk from the members here that I think it's only fitting that b0b be put in......right next to my hero Sonny Curtis(shameless plug) !

JERRY THURMOND

sullivan mo u.s.a.
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2015 6:25 am    

Its important to note some forums come an go I believe that after 20 years B0B has with stood the test of time. He should be in the HOF

Bas Kapitein

Holland
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2015 2:29 pm    

The International Steel Guitar Convention is as it is, a great happening for the happy few of the international steel guitar community.

But the Forum has become the real International SG Convention.
24/7 thousands of amateurs and pro’s from around the globe join it from the comfort of their home, not having to worry about parking, plane tickets or hotelreservations

I have nothing but praise for those who started and continued the ISGC, but look at the inpact that the forum has.

Scott Duckworth

Etowah, TN Western Foothills of the Smokies
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2015 2:49 am    

I vote for B0b.. again!

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!

Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2015 2:46 pm    

Bobby Lee was inducted into the European Steel Guitar Hall of Fame during 2013. He's the only American to have been given that honour so far. Cool

I should add that if you want him in the SGHoF it's no good just posting on here. There's a protocol involved. You have to fill out the official form as a sponsor and produce volumes of material as to why your nomination should be considered. Then, once a year, the panel considers all the applications that they've received, plus the many applications that they've accumulated on file from previous years, and make their choice. It's not just a matter of a publicity campaign for your favourites.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2015 6:53 pm    

Alan Brookes wrote:
Bobby Lee was inducted into the European Steel Guitar Hall of Fame during 2013. He's the only American to have been given that honour so far. Cool

Not true. It was 2010, and Lloyd Green was inducted that same year.

Gil Berry

Westminster, CA, USA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2015 9:34 pm    

Besides the many great players in the SGHOF, and the other great players likely to be nominated as future inductees, Tom Bradshaw, Dewitt Scott, Jeff Newman and b0b have contributed volumes to the steel guitar world. And b0b, like Scotty, Tom, and Jeff is a pretty darned good player as well. The SGF, his brainchild, has done as much to enhance the exchange of information among players, wanna-be players (like me), and the innovators and manufacturers of steel guitars and related products than anything before. So should b0b be inducted? Heck yes!