The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Is Joe Wright Really Quitting Steel Shows
Danny Letz

Old Glory,Texas, USA 79540
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2015 2:59 pm    

Joe Wright made an announcement at Dallas that he was going to quit going to steel shows. Some of the guys and I were talking and I fear that since he is always making funnys in his show, that the audience didn't take him seriously. We feared that if he was serious, we may not have given him a proper send off. Joe we are going to miss you. You were one of the highlights of the shows. Take care of yourself and your lovely wife and have a good life and if you change your mind or were just kidding we'll be happy to see you again.

Ray Harrison

Tucson, Arizona, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2015 3:10 pm    

Joe Wright is such a talented individual. His Comedy is truly one of the greatest around today, but his steel playing surpasses his comedy.
So many people look forward to his comedy, and they should be listening to how great his tone sounds and his mechanics.
He doesn't wish to pursue a career in comedy.
I have always enjoyed his playing and have sometimes wished that he had more playing time rather than comedy time.
Telonics , Fender Rumble500, Polytone Amps
D-16 Martin, 1970 Ovation guitars

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2015 3:31 pm    

Yes, I was told in private that the amount of money he made last year was unbelievable low and he just can't keep doing the shows. J.R.

Darrell Criswell

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2015 5:44 pm    

Does Joe intend to continue steel playing in any public venues? Is he totally going to remove himself from steel shows?

Joe is just great, I wish him the best but would love to see him perform sometime.

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2015 8:53 pm    

J R Rose wrote:
Yes, I was told in private that the amount of money he made last year was unbelievable low and he just can't keep doing the shows. J.R.

I heard the same thing second hand from a very reliable source at the Dallas steel show.

Darrell Birtcher

Post  Posted 15 Mar 2015 9:07 pm    

I told Joe that I would miss him. His emotional response led me to believe that not only was he serious, but that the decision was extremely painful. I sincerely hope he finds a way to return someday. Shows won't be the same without him.

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2015 9:08 pm    

What happened to art for art's sake? Music should exist on a higher plane, without soiling its noble hands in the sordid affairs of commerce.

Olli Haavisto

Jarvenpaa,Finland
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2015 11:23 pm    

Doug, I can't get my hands financially soiled, no matter how I try. Sad

Last edited by Olli Haavisto on 16 Mar 2015 6:53 am; edited 1 time in total

Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2015 2:02 am    

I was told from a source that knows Joe very well he just is not making enough money to support playing the shows. Joe is an extremely talented musician but he did announce he would not be playing any more steel shows. He said "Goodby Texas" before his final selection. Maybe this will get him more money from the shows to keep him coming back.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2015 4:16 am    

He's certainly a fine player but that cornball comedy routine of his is very hard for me to endure.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2015 4:53 am    

Roger Rettig wrote:
He's certainly a fine player but that cornball comedy routine of his is very hard for me to endure.

That's because you're English, Roger; you only like Benny Hill... Wink

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2015 5:05 am    

I like and prefer Joe the steel player. Joe can play any style but can rock out better than any player I have seen in 30 years of steel guitar shows. Sad more young players didn't catch his shows. Most of the non players I took to shows said Joe was their favorite part. Bless you Joe, I hope you have success in whatever you do.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2015 5:18 am    

Jim Cohen:

Aaaargh! Benny Hill wasn't exported to the US - he was deported. He was less funny than Joe Wright!

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2015 5:19 am    

Roger Rettig wrote:
Jim Cohen:

Aaaargh! Benny Hill wasn't exported to the US - he was deported.

So you came over on the same ship? Wink

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2015 5:21 am    

Sorry for the diversion; couldn't resist. Now back to the original subject of Joe Wright, amazing player that he is. But he can't keep traipsing around the country, losing money. That just can't go on indefinitely...

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2015 5:23 am    

"But he can't keep traipsing around the country, losing money. That just can't go on indefinitely..."

You mean there's another option?

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2015 5:25 am    

It was maybe thirty years ago that I found myself playing in the support act on one of Charley Pride's UK tours. Joe was in his band and I can clearly recall him talking with great enthusiasm about his newly-perfected pick-blocking technique.

He was most impressive even then.

Jerome Hawkes

Fayetteville, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2015 6:56 am    

it is sad to see joe leave the circuit, but i can entirely understand his decision - there are probably a lot of steel players these days of all talent levels that find it tough to make a living - and one has to make a living...most find themselves at 50+ and steel is all they know...so its hard to start a new career at that age.

my take on this (steel shows) goes a bit deeper - i think that without new players coming into the pedal steel world, the established guys are just "pedaling" to the same old base of attendees. i bought joes instruction when i first started getting serious about 10 years ago and it was great! imo, he ranks up there with Jeff Newman as one of the best teachers ever - although they are coming from different angles.
the problem with anyone selling material is once everyone has your stuff, and there is no new blood coming in....well, you dont sell anything. joe would be perfect for a lot of younger people getting into steel because he fits that younger mold (vs say someone geared towards trad country steel) so its a shame we lose him. the other side of that is now that i have been attending the big shows for 5-6 years, you have seen everything and heard everyone so it really becomes more of a family reunion type situation - i dont even go hear some of the players because i have heard their show a dozen times and its the same act basically. joe was always one that i tried to catch though because he was fun and entertaining (and different)

the thing with joe is he did mostly everything possible to make a living at it -
he was one of the best players on the instrument - unique among those having his own thing
he was different and entertaining - actually taking the boring steel player stereotype and turning it on its head
he had a whole range of great instructional material available
a great website
....and even married a RN so he had health insurance!

good luck to him.

Last edited by Jerome Hawkes on 16 Mar 2015 7:51 am; edited 1 time in total

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2015 7:28 am    

Roger Rettig wrote:
You mean there's another option?
Art, imitating life, has gotten more expensive.

HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2015 8:04 am    

Paul King wrote:
I was told from a source that knows Joe very well he just is not making enough money to support playing the shows.

I caught most of Joe's set at the show and he announced that he was no longer going to do the shows because he wasn't making money.

I believed that he was dead serious because I perceived his show to be "off" in the sense that he didn't seem to be his jovial self.....his dialog consisted more of comments than jokes and I sensed frustration......he really didn't interact with the audience as he usually does......he announced his last song to be Hotel California which is a long song but he cut it real short, got up and started packing up.....the audience gave him a standing ovation but he just carried his steel off stage without acknowledgement.....so I had no doubt that this was the last round up.....

This is my perspective according to what I saw & heard first hand......

Last edited by HowardR on 16 Mar 2015 11:01 am; edited 4 times in total

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2015 8:48 am    

This is indeed, bad news. I have never been to a steel guitar show, but I have seen videos of some of Joe's acts. I think he is hilarious. A whole day of the top players in the world would start to bore me. Something like Joe's comedy routines would make the day a little easier to withstand. I would probably like him to do a short routine every couple of hours to break up the day.

I can understand his decision. The steel guitar world will miss his talent, humor and enthusiasm. I wish him the best for the future.

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2015 9:09 am    

i didn't even realize they paid the players. so it's like a payed gig for everyone?
richard, as i just said on another thread..too much amazing steel is too much steel.
as much as i can appreciate everyone's talent, it's the emotional enhancement of a song that drew me to the instrument.

Ray Harrison

Tucson, Arizona, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2015 9:12 am    

Due to his comedy, once again, the shows want him to close or play really late and no one gets to hear him actually play so, therefore no sales on CD's or lesson programs.
Telonics , Fender Rumble500, Polytone Amps
D-16 Martin, 1970 Ovation guitars

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2015 9:22 am    

If that is so it is very bad news.

John Booth

Columbus Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2015 9:29 am    

I realize that its all been said, but Joe is probably the most accurate player I've ever seen and I will miss seeing him play.