The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  RIP Little Jimmy Dickens
Sam White

Coventry, RI 02816
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2015 8:53 am    

So Sad we will all miss you little Jimmy Dickens.God will take good care of you you were one of my favoriet's.I had the honor of meeting Little Jimmy Dickens at the Country Tonight Theater back a few years ago in Pigion Forge TN.One of the nice's people you would ever want to meet.
Sam White
Dynalap lap 8 String Lap Steel Fender frontman 25B speaker changed Boss TU-12H Tuner.Founder and supporter of the Rhode Island Steel Guitar Association Founder of the New England Steel Guitar Association and the Greeneville TN Steel Jams and now founder of the North Carolina Steel Guitar Jams. Honorary member of the Rhode Island Steel Guitar Association,Member of The New England Steel Guitar Association.
Member of the Florida Steel Guitar Club,and member of Mid Atlantic Steel Guitar Association

Sam White

Coventry, RI 02816
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2015 8:53 am     Sam White

So Sad we will all miss you little Jimmy Dickens.God will take good care of you you were one of my favoriet's.I had the honor of meeting Little Jimmy Dickens at the Country Tonight Theater back a few years ago in Pigion Forge TN.One of the nice's people you would ever want to meet.
Sam White
Dynalap lap 8 String Lap Steel Fender frontman 25B speaker changed Boss TU-12H Tuner.Founder and supporter of the Rhode Island Steel Guitar Association Founder of the New England Steel Guitar Association and the Greeneville TN Steel Jams and now founder of the North Carolina Steel Guitar Jams. Honorary member of the Rhode Island Steel Guitar Association,Member of The New England Steel Guitar Association.
Member of the Florida Steel Guitar Club,and member of Mid Atlantic Steel Guitar Association

Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2015 10:46 am    

Another link to the past broken - may he rest in peace.

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2015 11:59 am    

if only entertainers today would address the audience with the respect little jimmy dickens, and others of his era, did.

Carl Williams

Oklahoma
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2015 6:49 pm     Mr. Dickens To Me

Well, it has been almost 40 years ago but I had the privilege and high honor to play steel for two of Jimmy's shows. I was (and still am ha!) a wet-behind-the-ears kid who was in awe of this Opry star. I did address him as Mr. Dickens out of respect knowing he could have been my Dad. The memory of the two shows is slowly diming from my memory but to this day I have two photos to help my memory. One with Little Jimmy with that BIG O'l Gibson across his chest and me, scared to death, behind a little S-10 MSA. Thanks for all the great songs Mr. Dickens...it's so very sad to see you go...Carl

Last edited by Carl Williams on 4 Jan 2015 6:47 am; edited 1 time in total

David L. Donald

Koh Samui Island, Thailand
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2015 10:41 pm    

RIP Jimmy!

I got to see him about 12 years ago at the Opry after ISGC,
and he was the consummate country performer.
No flies on him at that age, none at all.

I also like how he was part Rock n Roller in his early days.
A nice mix of Texas Swing instrumental on a Rockabilly base.
I put him in a column with Hank Snow, who also drew from
outside straight-arrow country when he wanted to.
For me an unsung legend of Rock too,
which didn't diminish his country music love or credentials.

And he always employed and promoted the finest pickers around.
A true friend to the steel guitar world.

Real happiness has no strings attached.
But pedal steels have many!

Last edited by David L. Donald on 4 Jan 2015 1:10 am; edited 1 time in total

Tommy White

Nashville
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2015 11:26 pm    

Chris Ivy, you should be president of country music for the Steel Guitar Forum. Your posts are always spot on, honest and to the point.

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2015 11:52 pm    

I thought it was very nice that RFDTV replayed Marty Stewart's first show from 2008 tonight with Tater as the guest star. It will be replayed again early tomorrow morning, at least.

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2015 3:54 am    

chris ivey wrote:
if only entertainers today would address the audience with the respect little jimmy dickens....

Mr. Dickens was big enough to be on the end of national news the other night, in black and white,
in his guitar and hand-tooled strap that says 'Tater.'
No everybody makes it to that level.

His manner was a humility that has to be real.
Made him seem pretty big to me.

Bob Knight

Bowling Green KY
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2015 4:32 am    

Tommy White wrote:
Chris Ivy, you should be president of country music for the Steel Guitar Forum. Your posts are always spot on, honest and to the point.

Tommy,
I agree with you 100%.

RIP Tater.

Bob Sad
"Thankfully, persistence is a great substitute for talent."

— Steve Martin

Al Risbeck

Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2015 7:48 am     So Sorry

I'll never forget the spine tingling "chill" I got every time he would start "life turned her that way" that was and is my favorite by the Biggest, small man I ever met.
Mullen Discovery, GK mb200 with Eminence EPS-15C, Fender steel King with Eminence EPS-15C,Nashville 400 amp, with EPS-15C,Evans FET500 with Peavey 1501 BW Goodrich L10K V.P.(2),Goodrich L120, Bose L1 PA with ToneMatch 4 Mic control board

Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2015 3:29 pm    

He was one of a kind. We shalln't see his like again in our lifetimes. He was cheerful to the end. A little man with a big heart. Cool

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2015 5:28 pm    

I had the great privilege to work with Tater out here in NZ back in 1984 on the TV Show "Thats Country" ... I remember when he came to the first music rehearsal - he apologised for "occasionally breaking meter" (his words) ... so we apologised right back in case we didn't catch him in time hehe !! He was a lovely man and a truly great Star. RIP wee Jim

Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.

Rick Jackson

Carson City, Nevada
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2015 7:54 pm    

I found this photo of Bud Isaacs and Skeeter Davis with Jimmy backstage at the Opry. Not sure of the exact date. Jimmy is the one that brought Bud to Nashville around 1948-49 after he saw him playing in a bar and liked his sound so much he invited him to play in his band.

Skeeter Stultz

LOMITA, California, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2015 9:06 pm    

Jimmy Dickens was the first major artist I ever saw. That was in either '52 or '53. I still remember the band members names. The last time I saw him was at the Foothill. Doug was with him. Amazing show.

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2015 12:37 pm    

Right after I started playing steel, I had the opportunity to go to the Opry and sit onstage and see the show. While I was backstage that Saturday night in 2000, I met Little Jimmy Dickens and Pee Wee Rogers, who played steel with him at the time. At the Opry that night, it was me, my brother Jeff, my dad, and my grandma. My grandma was so excited because she got to meet Little Jimmy and I was excited too! A few of the artists who were there were Merle Haggard, Jim Ed Brown, Rhonda Vincent, Chad Brock, and of course, Little Jimmy Dickens. RIP, Little Jimmy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Neil Lang

Albert Lea, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2015 2:18 pm    

Rest in Peace Jimmy.
First and only time we saw little Jimmy Dickens in person was back in 1968 in a Honky Tonk on Broadway in Nashville. I can't remember the name of it but it was upstairs over some place like Acuff Music. (?) He had Doug Jernigan on steel.......wow what a great time we had. It was our first time in Nashville, they had us star-struck for sure. What a wonderful, down to earth man he was.

LJ Eiffert

California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2015 7:59 pm    

We always enjoyed the fun with Tater here in Southern California. Last time I talked to Mona was in Las Vegas at the ACM Award show at the MGM. We talked about the good ole days with little Jimmy & he was home healing at that time.RIP Tater & have fun in Musicians heaven with all them ole friends of ours.Uncle Leo J Eiffert jr & the Pigeons - facebook. Sad