The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Gene Fields RIP
Stoney Stonecipher

Knoxville, TN (deceased)
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2014 7:18 am    

The world of the steel guitar has lost another ICON , with a capitol "I". Gene was so many great things, I don't really have enough typing space to start listing them all. A great innovator, a great Steel Guitar builder, a great player, and many more things, but most of all a great human being, that I'm proud to say he was a friend of mine for the last 40 years. We'll all miss you Gene..May you rest in peace-now and forever.

Uffe Edefuhr

Sweden
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2014 7:48 am    

This is wery sad news.... I love my GFI guitars more than any other brand of guitars I have played trough the years.
R.I.P Gene

Brian Ostrom

Old Chelsea Quebec Canada
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2014 7:50 am    

Really sad news. My condolences to the family.

Frank Estes

Huntsville, AL
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2014 8:26 am    

My condolences. I have always received great service from his company and really like GFI guitars.

My Main guitar: GFI D-10 Ultra

Bill Dobkins

Rolla Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2014 8:41 am     RIP Gene Fields

R.I.P. Gene. Glad I got to know you.
I'll always cherish my time at Mount Vernon with Gene, Gary Rittenberry, Lynn Owsley, Eddy Dunlap and myself when they closed the restaurant and let us stay there and visit. What a history lesson I got about the evolution of the Pedal Steel. Thanks for the memories Mr Fields.
BJS Bars
Z~Legend Pro,Custom Tele
Honor our Vet's.
Now pass the gravy.

Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2014 9:54 am    

RIP Gene. Your legacy will outlive us all.

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2014 10:48 am    

I'm really sorry to hear this. Gene was one of my oldest friends from my SoCal days. I met him in the sixties at Blackie Taylor's music store and then shortly after that he was in a band with my ex-wife (Marie Laswell) on bass where I got to know him a little better. He was always a very fine lead guitarist in addition to his steel playing and building expertise. Gene designed the PS-210 Steel as we all know but he was also the designer behind the Fender Starcaster semi hollow guitar which was to be Fender's answer to the Gibson ES-335. These were very fine instruments and are being reissued to this day. Gene also designed an electric guitar for Sierra but I don't think it was ever put into production... One year at Scotty's convention he offered me a GFI S-12 with 8 floor pedals and 6 knee levers for only $1,200. One of the levers was a wrist lever and the only one I'd ever seen on one of his steels... I wish I'd have taken it.. Gene was also behind the 16 pedal heel and toe activated guitar that Al Petty was noted for playing. Gene even had one himself for awhile.. I remember him playing the main stage at Scotty's one year on a non pedal 10 string steel and did a wonderful set... I know we're all sad to see him pass as he was a treasure in the steel guitar, and music world for sure... RIP Gene..........Jerry in Va.

Jim Priebe

Queensland, Australia - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2014 4:46 pm    

RIP Gene.
What a brilliant engineer with a monster track record.
I love his guitars - so simple, reliable, practical, serviceable, carry-able and playable.
My condolences to his family and close friends.

Ron Whitworth

Yuma,Ariz.USA Yeah they say it's a DRY heat !!
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2014 7:51 pm    

I just now saw this terrible news.
So sorry to hear about this - he will be missed by many.
He did a lot for the steel guitar world.
My condolences to his family & friends.
Ron

We need to turn the TWANG up a little

It's not what you play through, it's what you play through it.

They say that tone is all in the fingers...I say it is all in your head Smile

Some of the best pieces of life are the little pieces all added up..Ron

the value of friendship. Old friends shine like diamonds, you can always call them and - most important - you can't buy them.

pdl20

Benton, Ar . USA,
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2014 9:38 pm     Gene Fields

My condolences, this is sad, another good and talented man gone home.
Mullen G 2 D 10 8 & 6 , Emmons D 10 8& 6 Evans Amps , Revelation,MPX1,Steward PA 1000 rack, Steelers Choice Cross country Seat ,Hilton Pedal, Curt Mangan strings . When everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2014 3:39 am    

very sorry to learn of this, RIP Gene..

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Gary Cooper

Atmore, Alabama
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2014 3:43 am     Gene

My deepest sympathy to all of Gene's family. This is another huge loss to the music industry as a whole and to the PSG in particular. Gene was a man of immense skill, honesty, and integrity.

Doug Earnest

Branson, MO USA
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2014 7:46 am    

I am so very sorry to hear this. I only got to meet Gene a few times but it was easy to see that he was a very special person. He was very kind and encouraging to me. Rest in peace, sir.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2014 9:56 am    

Sad news. I've known Gene since 1968, and enjoyed sharing memories of SoCal with him. I must admit that he didn't look well at all at this year's ISGC and I was concerned about him. He truly was one of the pioneers of our instrument.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Norbert Dengler

germany
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2014 10:05 am    

sad news... all the best to the family in that kind of times...
i enjoy my GFI guitars and i hope bob will keep up the great company.

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2014 2:00 pm    

This is another huge loss for our community.

When we had our L.A.jams, we had a chance to hear many different steel and amps. In my opinion, Ron Epperson and his GFI always had the sweetest tone.

I almost bough a GFI in 2005.I had narrowed the choice down to a GFI, a Carter, or an MSA. In the end I chose MSA (mainly out of personal loyalty to Reece,) but it was a tough call.

Michael Breid

Eureka Springs, Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2014 2:02 pm    

Once at the Branson Steel Guitar Show Gene showed me pictures of a custom pedal steel he'd made for a fellow who couldn't use his legs. Gene had rigged up arm pedals that worked like floor pedals on the steel for raising and lowering strings. Gene was always inventing and re-inventing things and I felt very fortunate to have known this terrific guy. May he rest in peace.

Terry Wood

Marshfield, MO
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2014 3:14 pm    

I want to say that I never really got to know Gene until he relocated to Marshfield, MO a few years back. His Steel Shop was only about 4 1/2 miles from my house. I would go out there occasionally to visit with Gene and his son-in-law Bob. Great guys and just super to visit with!

I loved to talk with Gene. He was so knowledgeable and knew so many of the Greats in our business! He was full of funny stories and Wow when he played for me on his own steel it was super! He was another one of the Great Builders and Innovators! My, my his own Steel Guitar he played for me with the two necks, one tuned like and played like Thumbs Carlisle did. It was tuned like a guitar then he could simply flip a lever and it completely retuned it and could be tuned in three different keys.

The man was a Genuis! He was a man of Integrity too! He reminded me in ways of my late friend Zane Beck. I'm honored to have known Gene and he will be missed by his family and his many, many friends!

Prayers for his family and friends!

Terry and Zane Wood

John Haspert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2014 5:32 pm     Gene Fields- RIP

I am deeply saddened in seeing this. Gene was a Talent among Talents. Genius is an gross understatement as it related to Gene. He was also humble. He looked at me very strangely when I asked him to sign my Ultra D-10 and asked me if I was sure I wanted him to do that. For the last 10 to 15 years, I kept telling him that he belonged in the Hall of Fame. Always assumed that he was nominated. I was so surprised when I asked Scotty 2 years ago, if he was nominated and Scotty told me no, not yet. I had a nice chat with him this year in the GFI room and once again told how much I love my GFI. Can't believe that my hero is gone.

Rudy Hawk

Carrollton,Ohio,USA
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2014 6:13 pm    

R.I.P. Gene,we will miss you.
My prayers to his family.

Fred Martin

Phoenix, Az
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2014 7:09 pm     Kinda sad

I never really met Gene but I have had a GFI or two and did have him work on a keyhead one time. No charge ! Didn't know me or nothing. I just think he was a very special person and of course a wizard on designing steel guitars and Im sure about anything he set his mind to. Those of you that actually knew him were blessed for sure !

Roy Rosetta

Nederland, Texas.. On the Texas Gulf Coast
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2014 8:29 pm    

Sad news. Gene was a great person. Mine and Barbara's
condolences go out to Gene's family for the loss of their dear family member. Gene will certainly be missed. Gene donated two brand new guitars to the Benevalent Fund over the past couple of years to help other musicians out.
...Roy ad Barbara

HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2014 5:18 am    

My deepest sympathy and condolences to Gene's family....

I remember one year he was displaying at The PSGA show in Norwalk....I brought in my PS-210 as it needed some adjustment.....His eyes lit up the moment he saw it as if it were a long lost child......he very graciously made some adjustments and a minor repair....he was a very nice man.....I'm sorry of his passing....

David L. Donald

Koh Samui Island, Thailand
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2014 5:59 am    

I met Gene a few years back, very intelligent, engaging and friendly man.
His steels are truly wonderful. A bright light has gone out. RIP.

Real happiness has no strings attached.
But pedal steels have many!

Scott Duckworth

Etowah, TN Western Foothills of the Smokies
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2014 12:16 pm    

So sorry to hear of his passing. Prayers for his family. I too am a satisfied GFI owner.

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!