The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Music theory Instruction book
Deirdre Higgins

Connecticut, USA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2014 12:38 pm    

Hi Friends,
I welcome suggestions as to a single good book on learning music theory, notes, and chords for the various steel guitar tunings.
Preferably easy to understand. Thanks a bunch

David Matzenik

Cairns, on the Coral Sea
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2014 4:17 pm    

Mike Neer's Tetra chord study. Its intense, but you won't be sorry.

Deirdre Higgins

Connecticut, USA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2014 4:22 pm    

Thank You David

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2014 5:03 pm     Re: Music theory Instruction book

Deirdre Higgins wrote:
I welcome suggestions as to a single good book on learning music theory, notes, and chords for the various steel guitar tunings.

Presumably you're aware of the big Jerry Byrd book?

Guy Cundell

More idle ramblings from South Australia
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2014 5:51 pm    

Deirdre, do you want a theory book, or a 'steel guitar with theory book'. The problem is there are so many tunings. There is no book that covers theory applied to multiple tunings to my knowledge. Stacy Philips 'Complete Dobro Player" does a great job for open G. Jerry Byrd's book does a less impressive job on theory for C6 but provides solid sight reading advice. There may be others. I would suggest you get a well written book about theory to start with and a really good one is 'Edly's Music Theory for Practical People'. He has a web page and he sells it as a book or a pdf.

Jean-Sebastien Gauthier

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2014 6:20 pm    

I love the Aebersold books, they are made for all instrument, just pure jazz method and music theory.

www.jazzbooks.com/jazz/product/V01DS#.VHU5H9aBAeM

Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2014 7:32 pm     My STRONG recommendaton would be................

I have to second the suggestion of JERRY BYRD's BIG BOOK..... It covers a number of different tunings, NOT JUST C6th.

From an obvious pro that was on top of the game from age 19, one whose name/talent can be verified in any number of ways, I don't see how anyone could go wrong with the purchase and study of this BIG BOOK!

He covers playing from the very beginning thro' advanced playing........and leaves nothing out.
Better than buying a half a dozen books by lesser known authors that offer a wide variety of opinions on how to play this beast.

Aaron Jennings

Montana, USA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2014 8:55 pm    

I had not heard of the Jerry Byrd big book.

"Instruction Course for Steel Guitar"

It's for sale via Scotty's Music: http://www.scottysmusic.com/byrdbook.htm

William Rosen

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2014 9:14 pm    

Take a look at "Basic Music Theory - A Simplified Approach" by Jim Molberg. It's steel guitar-centric. Scotty's Music sells it.

Bill R.
Seattle

Dom Franco

Beaverton, OR, 97007
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2014 2:45 am    

For Steel guitar, may I suggest that Music theory is not really a requirement and may distract you from improving your technique.

Very few if any steel players sight-read like a piano player needs to. Understanding scales can help.. and:
You do need a basic understanding of Chords and Chord progressions. The Nashville system I, IV, V ii etc. is very helpful to teach you the relationships between chords and when you "get it", all of a sudden you will be able to play any song and transpose to any key with ease. (because transposing on the steel guitar just means playing the same thing up a fret or two or down a few...

All that being said, a little basic theory can help, but developing your ear, intonation, hand and eye coordination should be the main focus, and demand the most time.
Just my 2 cents...Dom

Ken Campbell

Ferndale, Montana
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2014 4:54 am    

Get Mike Perlowins book. Top shelf.

Deirdre Higgins

Connecticut, USA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2014 7:37 am    

Dom Franco wrote:
For Steel guitar, may I suggest that Music theory is not really a requirement and may distract you from improving your technique.

Very few if any steel players sight-read like a piano player needs to. Understanding scales can help.. and:
You do need a basic understanding of Chords and Chord progressions.

Maybe that's what I am looking for. Knowing where all the chord possibilities are. So that I can accompany the church music section and play some backup.
Is there a book on chord progression?

Last edited by Deirdre Higgins on 26 Nov 2014 7:52 am; edited 1 time in total

Gary Meixner

New York, USA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2014 7:39 am    

I would never discourage someone from learning music theory and can't see how it would be a distraction. In fact, I believe learning even a little bit of theory can be quite illuminating and a valuable ally in learning to play the steel guitar.

I do agree that sight reading may not be necessary and can be difficult but even learning to read music on very basic level is helpful in the long run. Overcoming the physical aspect of playing the steel or any instrument is a challenge and much practice is required to master the techniques, however having a road map and understanding how scales are made and their relationship to chords can give all the hard work of practicing technique a lot more purpose.

Certainly their many of us who are accomplished musicians and know very little theory - I am not saying it isn't possible but I would applaud Deirdre for being curious and encourage her in this effort.

Gary

Deirdre Higgins

Connecticut, USA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2014 7:49 am    

BTW I do own Jerry's Big Book, and love it.
But I guess a good chord progression book is what I am looking for.
You see if I should play with other musicians and they say we are playing in the key of 'A' for example I'd be lost.
Steel guitar is my first instrument I have no musical background whatsoever.

Brian McGaughey

Orcas Island, WA USA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2014 8:17 am    

Deirdre Higgins wrote:

You see if I should play with other musicians and they say we are playing in the key of 'A' for example I'd be lost.

You may do well to find a mentor who would sit down with you for a couple of sessions and tailor some instruction of musical "rules" (hate to use the word "theory") specifically for you. I'll bet via skype you could find someone to help for a modest fee.

Knowing the oommon chords within a key is a must in my opinion. The reasons for them and how the keys work is suprisingly simple and liberating. If I can learn it, anyone can!

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2014 9:10 am    

Dierdre, a few years ago I posted some articles on my blog called "Understanding Harmony In A Month". I tried to just provide a cursory introduction to the subject and just did the articles off the top of my head. Feel free to check them out.

By the way, there are about 10 or 11 articles. i tried to continue, but got sidetracked. When you get to the bottom of the first, there are links for the subsequent articles.

Here is the link: http://www.mikeneer.com/lapsteelin/2010/11/29/understanding-harmony-in-a-month/

Hope it helps.

Gary Meixner

New York, USA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2014 10:05 am    

Deirdre,

I don't own any of the books that have already been mentioned so I can't comment on them; I will say that any books on music theory that I have looked at either assumes the reader can already read music, or the book will first want to teach you to read music before getting into the material. Written notation is the easiest and most economical way to represent the concepts, and to many folks is part and parcel to understanding music theory. You may have to learn to read music on some basic level if you are going use a book alone. A good teacher would make a huge difference and should be able to give you help in understanding the concepts involved without learning to read, although I think you should go for it and learn basic notation, it is pretty easy.

Best of luck,

Gary

Gary Meixner

New York, USA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2014 10:11 am    

Deirdre,

I made a mistake. I do own Mike Neer's book, Steelin' Scales and Modes, and recommend it highly. This may in fact be a good place to start since many on the forum have this book and it would be easy to reference any question you may have.

Best of luck,

Gary Meixner

Johnne Lee Ables

Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2014 10:31 am     I agree.

Ken Campbell wrote:
Get Mike Perlowins book. Top shelf.

Ditto what Ken said.

"In the course of a long life a wise man will be prepared to abandon his baggage several times."

Chase Brady

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2014 11:03 am    

I went to Mike Perlowins' web page to check out the book mentioned. At the checkout, I was told the price is
$ 79228162514264337593543950335.00

Seems a bit steep to me.

Paul DiMaggio

Fort Nelson, British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2014 12:04 pm    

Deidre; if you google "chord progressions" you will get a dizzying aray of info. Under "images" there several charts that will get you started.

Ulrich Sinn

California, USA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2014 1:19 pm    

Why not just get something like Band-In-A-Box (I use iRealPro on my mac)?

These apps allow for transposing and changing tempo and styles, etc.

Take a Hank Williams tune and play it in different keys, that will teach you quickly the relations of I-IV-V etc.
TomKat Amp
how I earn a living

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2014 2:56 pm    

Ulrich Sinn wrote:
Why not just get something like Band-In-A-Box (I use iRealPro on my mac)?

These apps allow for transposing and changing tempo and styles, etc.

Take a Hank Williams tune and play it in different keys, that will teach you quickly the relations of I-IV-V etc.

What an excellent suggestion.

Dom Franco

Beaverton, OR, 97007
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2014 3:28 pm    

Lots of good suggestions above.

Every musician should learn the basics of music, Notes on staff, rests, measures, time signatures etc. BUT:

My observation after 40 years of playing professionally (With top shelf union musicians, in world class recording studios, in concerts with orchestras, stage bands, garage bands at church on the worship team, and everywhere in between) my experience has been that Steel guitars and standard guitars are expected to know chord progressions, be able to transpose to any key, follow a simple chord/lead sheet, and rarely are required to "READ" music.
Dom

Guy Cundell

More idle ramblings from South Australia
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2014 3:59 pm    

Good observation, Dom. My suggestion that no reading is required is that few people write for the instrument. And the reason few composers/arrangers write for the instrument is the lack of a standardised tuning. Furthermore, it is very difficult for the player to learn to read for multiple tunings. Jerry Byrd admits this in his big book and therefore only offers reading tuition on C6 only.

Diedre, to learn to play in different keys, I think good advice would be to find one tuning and stick to it. Choose one that is very popular like C6 or G for which there is more material available. I think the best way for a beginner to do that is via a book of arrangements. Byrd's book is fine but diverse. For C6th you couldn't do much better than Doug Beaumier's book of 25 songs. I hear there is a new one out soon. Once you have some command over plenty of chords, the theory suggestions like Mike's will be more useful. You may already be at that point. A teacher would certainly help. Good luck.