The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This forum section is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Attendance at the ISGC
Goto page Previous  1, 2
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Attendance at the ISGC
Joseph Napolitano

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2014 6:08 pm    

So true Brad. Just about everyone I know up here in the Northeast,who even knows what a pedal steel is, was turned on to the instrument by Buddy Cage in the 70s.

c

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2014 6:11 pm    

I came in through the door marked "Rusty Young" and Poco... (though some might say I Came in Through the Bathroom Window)

Greg Vice

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2014 7:15 pm    

So cool Jim, Rusty got me started in early 70's Was awesome last year to be there for kind woman, had to miss this year for trip to see grandson in army at Fort Benning family days. Jr. Brown got him interested about 3yrs.ago. Had to give him my old rick8 to play. Played 6 string for years then broke both arms and wrist, thought I was done playing because of nerve damage, then found the old rick in closet the rest is history, now 4pedals 6laps and 2 consoles. ISGC is great, manufactures are for the most part act like they don't want my money I too have went a number of years with money to spend and got cold shoulder other than Fred Justus or Williams' guitar whom offered me to try guitar out
you wouldn't buy a car with out at least a test drive

Tony Palmer

St Augustine,FL
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2014 10:24 am    

I've remarked about this for years...the rooms have been set up at great expense I'm sure, only to be dominated by jam sessions...which are the greatest, btw!.....but leaving any prospective buyers to fend for themselves. I NEVER could understand this!!!
Not all the rooms were "guilty" of this, but certainly the majority were. Can't comment on this year's show but apparently some mfrs still don't "get it".
A very strange business model.....

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2014 11:40 am    

My wife and I went about 4 years ago. She wanted to learn steel and we wanted to look at the steels in the display rooms. The only problem we could not try a steel in any of the rooms. One was closed so one of the performers could warm up (and as it turned out all that company's guitars were on display in the main ball room). Another had their endorser playing every time we went into that room. Another had continuous jams.

We came with $$ to buy a steel and left with the $$.

Tony Palmer

St Augustine,FL
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2014 12:11 pm    

I've remarked about this for years...the rooms have been set up at great expense I'm sure, only to be dominated by endless jam sessions...which are GREAT!, btw.....but leaving any prospective buyers to fend for themselves. I NEVER could understand this!!!
Not all the rooms were "guilty" of this, but certainly the majority were. Can't comment on this year's show but apparently some mfrs still don't "get it".
A very strange business model.....

Bill L. Wilson

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2014 6:46 pm     They Better Wake Up.

I've never been to the St. Louis Show, so I can't comment on it. But Fred Justice tries to sell me a steel guitar every time I set down behind one of his Fantastic Justice Steel Guitars. I always end up hangin' in his room, and get to hear Boo Bernstein, Skip Edwards, and other great players at the Phoenix Show. Fred will let you set there all day, if you like and play to your hearts content, so I do. The Dallas Show is great too, someone always has parts, gear, and most anything related to steel guitar for sale. Another thing about these display rooms, if a customer comes up to look at a steel while I'm playin', I get up and go do something else, so they can look, try, and maybe buy.....I had a great conversation with Sage Benado about his PF Steel Dream at The Dallas Show, and the man knows his stuff....When I decide to buy, his pedals are it.....So I will continue to visit Phoenix and Dallas, cause I really do enjoy them.

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2014 7:45 pm    

Tony Palmer wrote:
.the rooms have been set up at great expense I'm sure, only to be dominated by endless jam sessions.

And not just jam sessions. There are individuals who hog the instruments for hours on end. I never could try one of the new steels at a Phoenix show because the same kid was playing his lick on it every time I went in the room, for the whole weekend! In St Louis there were even some guys who brought their own prerecorded tracks and pretended to be "on stage" for extended periods of time! All is vanity!

Roger Edgington

San Antonio, Texas USA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2014 5:05 pm    

I was in the Derby room playing my white signature guitar jammin with Johnny and the guys. Had a blast. I played about 5 hrs. Johnny Bush is my favorite drummer

Jonathan Cullifer

Gallatin, TN
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2014 6:29 pm    

At 26 I'm sure I was one of the younger musicians in attendance. I ran into a Nashville friend of mine who has a great understanding of classic country music that we love to listen to, but I don't run across many people like that around here.

Another observation: Maybe it's just my imagination but it seems that a lot of the middle age folks have left I don't recall many steel players younger than 30 in the 15 or so years I have been going.

I love the steel guitar first and foremost, the style of music is secondary. I would love to see more people that have something to offer outside of traditional country music.

Ben Elder

La Crescenta, California, USA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2014 10:57 pm    

Quote:
...Buddy Cage had that weird experience years ago...

Anybody but me not know what that experience was?

Bob Blair

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2014 4:49 am    

I wasn't there Ben but what I heard from various sources was that Buddy was on the show and brought his own rock band. A lot of the crowd in the main ballroom got up and left when they started playing. It was quite a long time ago I think.

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2014 5:11 am    

I believe I was there that year. I thought it was entertaining, I stayed but did hear a lot of complaints if that's the time I'm thinking about. Was in 80's I think.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

Ron Funk

Ballwin, Missouri
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2014 4:06 pm    

Jonathan -

Your observations are spot on.

Perhaps a one hour showcase with (4) great younger steelers participating might help the Conv.

Four great younger steelers on the stage at the same time would be a great thing - both for the crowd, and the spontaniety of the Players.

Don Lanier

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2014 4:29 pm     Vendors

Id like to see more Vendors, Myself and Micheal Scott made many a call to Manufacturers in and out of Amps, Steels, etc...and we hope to build a manufacturers Midway, the biggest issue was we didnt know what to expect, what the traffic flow would be, what the crowds might be...we got those answers and Im sure well be working hard to get more SALES, more Amps, More Steels, More everything back to this show floor, THE MIDWAY is a draw, Traders, New, Used, sellers and swappers its a neccessary part of a show....were going to work on this, Quilter will be at the show next year, I hope Octal returns, Sarno, Maybe Fender, Maybe Peavey...we really would like to see Peavey return even just to sell, But space is the key and how best to use it, Things will be added and I hope those that came to buy will find that perfect Steel/Amp/Packseat/picks/cables/pedals.....Truth be told I think many played the wait and see game, after reading this and hearing that at least TWO SALES were lost maybe the time to wait and see is OVER....
https://www.facebook.com/Pearlprocase

Graham

Marmora, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2014 6:23 am    

Don:

You seem to be missing the point on what guys are saying. More steels doesn't alleviate the problem of potential buyers NOT being able to try out a steel when they are in continuous use by jammers.

Perhaps the answer would be to have a separate jamming room with the builders in attendance each putting a guitar in it and then the jammers could jam to their hearts content and potential buyers could try out a steel in the builders rooms and maybe even get some hands on info from the people manning the builders rooms.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2014 9:21 am     A good way to listen

I don't know about the rest of you, but I like to hear the steel played by others before I even think about buying it. I purchased 2 different Sho-Buds years ago when I had no real idea of the mechanics involved, but they sounded good during the try out. My last came from the great Herby Wallace, a new Mullen bought over the phone sight unseen and delivered at the Texas show. I didn't try it until I got home to Mo. 2 days later. I don't sound like Herby, but I'm still happy with that steel from 1994.
I enjoy the jam rooms even though I never take the drivers seat. Amplified headphones is one solution. The Carter group and a few others had this option at the old Millineum in past shows.

Gary Schwartz

Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2014 5:23 pm    

The Buddy Cage performance people are talking about was in the mid 90's - 1996 I think. It was the last segment on a long Saturday of steel picking and this might have contributed to people leaving the room. Those that stayed seemed to be having a good time - even Scotty!

Jeff Scott Brown

O'Fallon Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2014 5:38 pm    

Tony Palmer wrote:
I've remarked about this for years...the rooms have been set up at great expense I'm sure, only to be dominated by jam sessions...which are the greatest, btw!.....but leaving any prospective buyers to fend for themselves. I NEVER could understand this!!!

That has definitely not been my experience. I first attended the show 2 years ago and at that point I had never even put my hands on a pedal steel guitar. I spent a lot of time talking to vendors and every one of them was happy to spend as much time with me as I liked answering questions. I spent the most time in the GFI room where Bob talked to me at length numerous times. Mike Sigler was there most of the time playing but he was happy to talk with me, so much so that I had to back away and ask him to go back to playing, not because I wasn't thoroughly interested in the information he was offering me but because there were quite a few people sitting in the seats presumably more interested in hearing Mike play than they were in listening to him explain the pedal steel to me and I felt bad monopolozing his time. A few days after the show I went to Scotty's and had him order my first guitar from GFI (http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=236520).

Just now before logging on to the forum I had spent the last hour or so playing that same guitar, which I procured 100% based on support and help I received at the show.

Tony Palmer

St Augustine,FL
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2014 2:39 pm    

Jeff, with ALL due apologies, people who have been playing pedal steel for 10, 15, 20 or more years...perhaps even on the same steel(!)...are going to require much more time to play and evaluate these complex instruments than a brand new player, who may not have experienced the subtleties found between brands. Even the various options offered by the same brand need to be explored.
Maybe someone who never sat down at a universal 12 might be persuaded to buy one after trying it out for an hour. A new knee lever change might be discovered, a different pickup, keyless vs. keyed...even single neck vs. double neck...all must be experienced in person.
I also notice you're local in MO. There are plenty of attendees who pay close to $1,000 for airfare, hotel, food and admission and look forward to this one, unique opportunity to try out and play the different brands of instruments. That experience is not available anywhere else other than steel shows, especially at ISGC.
And how else is the pedal steel guitar industry going to sustain itself if they are not prominently displayed and easily tried out at these shows?
A brand new double neck can easily get to $4-5,000....I can't imagine expecting people to make a purchase like that without playing them.
I am happy to hear you're enjoying your new GFI...good for you!

Jeff Scott Brown

O'Fallon Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2014 8:40 pm    

Tony Palmer wrote:
Jeff, with ALL due apologies, people who have been playing pedal steel for 10, 15, 20 or more years...perhaps even on the same steel(!)...are going to require much more time to play and evaluate these complex instruments than a brand new player, who may not have experienced the subtleties found between brands. Even the various options offered by the same brand need to be explored.

That seems a reasonable claim. I was addressing the claim "...but leaving any prospective buyers to fend for themselves". I was a buyer and wasn't left to fend for myself at all. GFI gave me all the time that I asked for. Mike Sigler gave me all of the time that I asked for (and more). He was acting as their agent but I really got the sense that he would do it anyway even if he had no obligation to them, but that is beside the point. I started my response with "That was definitely not my experience..." to make clear that I was talking specifically about my experience. I wasn't left to fend for myself.

Luenn Lodin

Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2014 1:49 pm     Isgc

I realize I am bit late talking about the ISGC but I am very new to the lap steel and thoroughly enjoying it. I agree some of the prices for a pedal steel are high and certainly couldnt afford those pricing. However, the lap steel I have is my close 2nd and enjoying it very much. I saw the pedal steel when I was 13 yrs old but never could find anyone up here in Minnesota to teach a young girl then - this beautiful instrument. After many years, I decided to push forward and finally found someone to help me get started. After a long day at work - playing the lap steel certainly gets rid of headaches/pressure. I would like to see a Pedal Steel Convention come here to Minnesota. I dont like traveling by myself and some of my other musician friends arent interested in the pedal so makes it a bit difficult to get to a convention somewhere else. Anyhoo, hope someday to see one here in Minnesota. Smile

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2014 8:15 am    

Luenn,
There are some good steel shows in Iowa and Wisconsin.
In fact, the Iowa show is just next weekend in Waterloo. It's a good show!

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2014 11:21 am     Thanks Erv

Thanks for the post Erv. I have attended shows within reasonable driving range with the required hotel stays. I went to Knoxville Tn. for years, Hot Springs Ark. Texas, Branson Mo. and Mt Vernon, and Benton Il. Every show gave me all I needed to know and helped drive my desire to own, play, and be a part of the wonderful steel guitar organization brotherhood. Any vender I expressed interest in gave me all the time I wanted. I made quick visits between players so as to not miss the main event. I am sorry anyone felt neglected by a vender. I am just saying it was never my experience since 1985 to present and I am not a pro player. I do however have the finances to purchase what I want, thanks to my loving and wonderful wife. 30 years and counting.
Jeff, there is a show in Benton Illinois this weekend.

Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2014 8:00 am    

I sometimes wonder if all the emphasis should be on the Big names at the shows.I'm not saying leave out any of the greats that play every year, heck no. But sprinkle in some who should be heard. There are a few players up in New England (probably more than I know)that would do well with a spot.Doug Beaumier,Jim Roule and Terry Sutton for example. These are well known and accomplished players. Also an international Spotlight with an international player inducted (overdue)as it is the International Steel guitar convention. It's hard to get new people without new players. It's hard to invite players who are mainly locally known and lets face it Scotty doesn't get around as much as well as he use to although he does get to many shows. Add the legends and a place for the unknowns and not call it a talent search. Call it a spot light chance to feature players who are the most popular and best from their areas. Many on here might just be worthy of a spotlight. Most of the attendees go to hear the popular players and they do that until they can't anymore which happens a lot now because of age and health. I have been to 7 shows and the last was 2011. I'm not even a player but I love the instrument and it has been a big part of my best bands. I hope to attend a couple more but at 77 I want to go if the some of the players differ from the same old same old. The true star of the convention is the "steel Guitar". It should be presented as an instrument with no genre limitations.