The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Will the real Tennessee Stud plz stand up? ebay
Bill Fuentes

Garland, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2004 3:22 pm    

click here

I am becoming interested in vintage steels, I already collect vintage amps and guitars, I like to get the "un-restored" instruments.

Are there any Sho-Bud historians on this board that can tell me what this particular guitar model and year may be, and what shortcomings it may or may not have?

Bill Fuentes

[This message was edited by Bill Fuentes on 19 February 2004 at 08:27 AM.]

[This message was edited by b0b on 20 February 2004 at 11:56 AM.]

C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2004 12:59 pm    

Bill,

I MAY, I reapeat may, be able to shed some light on this guitar. I saw Gene O'neal play a Sho-Bud at or around the time the record shows the ebay guitar was purchased. Gene had just gone with Charlie Pride around this time and he was wanting to sell his Sho-Bud; because he had fallen in love with his new Emmons.

If it is not Gene's, it is just like it; as I remember. Been a long time however; and NO way could I say it for sure.

If I am not mistaken, this Sho-Bud is what they called a "finger tip" model where the changes where tuned on TOP of the guitar by adjusting little knurled knobs for a raise or lower on the same string. You can clearly see those in the pictures. They are to the right of the changer from the player's view.

I do not recall whether one could get double raises and/or lowers on this model or not. But surely a Sho-Bud guru like Ricky Davis would know.

If yo're interested in a Sho-Bud, I would strongly consider this one from the sound I heard Gene get out of his; and based on what good condition this one seems to be in looking at the photos.

carl

[This message was edited by C Dixon on 19 February 2004 at 01:06 PM.]

Larry Harlan

Hydro, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2004 7:06 am    

Bill, on the forum, go to links, then personal web sites, scroll down to the Sho-Bud Unofficial web site by Greg Simmons. Click on history, click on "Field Guide to SB psg models," and scroll down to "The Fingertip." This is a good history of the steel. They were the first attempt at an all-pull changer w/ moveable bell cranks to change the raise-lower pulls. The fine tune raise-lower stops are out there on the endplate. I have a 67, D-10, 9x4, Ser 7 213 213, that I've owned since about 1970. Dates of manufacture range from late 64 till early 67, although some believe production started as early as 62 or 63 and went as late as 69 or 70. Production stopped because they were mechanically challenged, but were not the nightmare the Baldwin Crossover was believed to be by some. The guitar is old but you'll see on the forum many say it has "tone to the bone." Most who have these guitars have them because they are a collectors item as a part of SB history but have long since moved into a "modern psg," or, like me, have had one for years but but wish to move into a modern steel at some time in the future.
Winnie Winston www.julianwinston.com stated he thought the FT was some of the most beautiful cabinet work SB ever did. On his web site he has a great drawing of the FT puller mechanism.
I asked Bobbe Seymore one time how many were made, and he thought approx. some 400 +/-. It would indeed be interesting to know how many forum members have one of these old babies and to hear about them and their history.
This one on e-bay looks like it needs a good cleanup job and some TLC. It looks to be an earlier model than my 67 as the FT end plate mechanism looks to me to be an older (different anyway) version than what is on mine. I can't be sure though because there isn't a good detailed pic of the endplate mechanism.
I understand the Duane Marrs crew has the capability to help these old guitars some mechanically.
As for mine, I milled new, split finger, msa-type, 4-hole adj. bell cranks for it using the brass rod ferrel and that has helped considerably. Knee levers however, still need a little work. Best of luck in whatever you do.

[This message was edited by Larry Harlan on 20 February 2004 at 07:10 AM.]

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2004 9:22 am    

The fingertip model, IMHO, is the worst playing of the S~B's, but they do have excellent tone. I had one for a few years, but got rid of it last year. It was taking up room and I never played it.

As to Duane being able to do something with it, before I sold the guitar I called him and asked if there was something I could do to improve tunability and pedal action. He replied, verbatim, "no, not really. It was just a transitional design. The changer is limited."

There are guys that do enjoy these guitars, however. I dug looking at mine and hearing it, I just didn't enjoy playing it.

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages
Texas Steel Guitar Association