The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This forum section is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Too Much Jazz!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Too Much Jazz!
George Piburn

The Land of Enchantment New Mexico
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2014 6:14 am    

More Hans Groiner at a Jazz Venue in NYC

I wonder if this is how a steel player with Mr. Jernigan's or Mr. Easley's level of accomplishment would be appreciated in a Pure Jazz Setting?

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2014 7:34 am    

Stephen Gambrell wrote:

Can you write prescriptions, "Dr." Brian Henry? If you can't, you ain't a real doctor.

Your grammar, syntax, and punctuation don't speak well of your title, either.

Well I think Dr. Brian is trolling now...and we are digressing... If Brian is a Professor with a PhD..he is indeed Dr. Brian Henry, an earned title .

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Craig Schwartz

McHenry IL
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2014 8:13 am    

I definitley have an applause forDoug only for who he is as a person, yes I did meet him, watched him, heard him, I would like to hear a sermon of his also maybe someday, He is a minister of Jesus Christ, Oh Im sure he has had some tough times, This thread started off suckin the big one right off the bat. An apology should be asked for in my opinion, just because this wasnt funny it was a rude comment period.

Rick Schmidt

Prescott AZ, USA
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2014 11:16 am    

Some will just never get it and that's ok. I'm just glad that I do. Life would be so boring if everybody played and thought about music the same way. The dumbing down of public opinion on many things is already in full swing in our modern world, so why should our instrument be any different? It's too bad that the pedal steel might ultimately become a victim of this limiting mentality. It's the only legitimate instrument that I can think of that has been so typecast from all sides of the music fence. Buddy Emmons, who in my book invented the pedal steel as we know it, is a huge jazz lover, and one of the greatest jazz steelers in history! Yet he also defined sweet E9 country playing before anybody who didn't get it told him he couldn't.

As a jazz lover myself, I would like to point out that it's not all the same. For me, some of it is really hard to listen to...down right annoying! The same could be said for bluegrass, classical, rock, blues, ethnic musics...etc. etc. (oh and C&W too!) No one type of music is free from self indulgence. I've heard it said that "90% of everything sucks, but it's the other 10% we must pay attention to..."

I don't remember hearing the ISGC being billed as the International Country Steel Guitar Convention...

Should it be?

Oh and for the record, IMHO Doug Jernigan , Steel Guitar Hall of Fame alumni is far beyond criticism from any of us!!!

Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2014 2:50 pm    

Brian Henry wrote:
Thank you Stephen! I will try and reply to you using my best stephenonics.

"You is quite correct I ain't not a reel doc. An somethin else I ain't not never ever rote a perskiption for no one. That just dudden add up that I dudden rite perskiptons. It just iden right that you say I ain't a reel doc. Maybe that wadden what you meant!"
Have fun ol chap - keep,on steeelin 😜

ROFLMAO. You're so funny, Doctor. About as funny as Tony Prior, who said, "Well I think Dr. Brian is trolling now...and we are digressing... If Brian is a Professor with a PhD..he is indeed Dr. Brian Henry, an earned title ."

Tony is, or was my friend, in spite of him being a short Yankee. Doctor Henry, you must be the worst, at capturing the vernacular, as anybody I know. So, you can't write a prescription, Doctor? That's fine. SO RECOMMEND A GOOD BOOK, OK? Mad Mad Mad

Jim Stahlhut

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2014 3:08 pm    

I agree with Jim Cohen.

Widen your scope Brian. I have music I don't like being played at steel shows but I do the right thing and keep my mouth shut about it. You should do the same Brian and let others enjoy what they like; not act like the ruler of the kingdom. It's obvious you just don't understand jazz, a very complex musical form.

Dave Easley has played many true jazz venues with me and others and he is accepted fully!

Doug Jernigan is my friend and one of the best Jazz Steelers around.

Brian, I noticed you took off your last post.

Jim

Brian Henry

Post  Posted 31 Aug 2014 3:22 pm    

Thank you Jim, those are wise words.

Last edited by Brian Henry on 4 Sep 2014 7:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2014 3:55 pm    

AN open mind would go a long way -- I've spent years trying to be half as bad as Dougie !! Very Happy

also, a closed mouth gathers no foot ....
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2014 5:04 pm    

Paddy Long wrote:

also, a closed mouth gathers no foot ....

Paddy, that is a brilliant quote, my friend! I will credit you each time I use it! Laughing

Another: 'tis better to be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

George Redmon

Muskegon & Detroit Michigan.
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2014 5:40 pm    

Tony P

Quote:
I find jazz on steel guitar boring.... and even a little self indulgent at times

I find the ever present steel guitar instrumental versions of Together Again, A Way To Survive, Farewell Party, Any Ray Price Four Four Shuffle, Lily Dale, and a long long list of others boring myself. Doug is great no matter what he plays. May the (jazz room) jazz part of the convention, continue with great success for years to come. Being a C6th, and only C6th player, i treasure anything that is NOT country (sigh)

Ronnie Miller

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2014 5:41 pm    

WOW....

Kevin Raymer

Chalybeate, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2014 8:43 pm    

WOW is right Ronnie....

Better men than I have died so Mr. Henry can have the right to speak his mind AND so that everyone else can voice their displeasure here in an open exchange.

AND...

My grandpa, who also sacrificed a lung on Omaha Beach to that same cause, also left me with a few nuggets of wisdom like.

"A little bit of common sense goes a long way."

"If you can't say something nice, don't say nothin at all"

And

"Nobody listens to kangaroos..."

I've wondered about that last one for a lot of my life, but I think I'm seeing the application now..

Smile

Anyway... I'll leave us with one last quote.

"Can't we all just get along"

Smile

I don't think I'll revisit this topic again.

Yawl have fun...

James Mayer

back in Portland Oregon, USA (via Arkansas and London, UK)
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2014 1:12 am    

I haven't posted in a very long time, but it's amusing to find that this forum is just as backwards as it was several years ago. I'm not referring to the original post, but the various followup implications that being a christian makes someone a better human being and immune to critique.

There's absolutely no correlation between belief (or lack of) and being a good/bad human being.........much less a good/bad steel player.

Last edited by James Mayer on 1 Sep 2014 1:54 am; edited 1 time in total

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2014 1:45 am    

George Redmon wrote:
Tony P

Quote:
I find jazz on steel guitar boring.... and even a little self indulgent at times

George R. "clarity required"

That didn't come from THIS Tony P...

Two Tony P's...

Last edited by Tony Prior on 1 Sep 2014 1:59 am; edited 5 times in total

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2014 1:52 am    

We are really digressing, Brian did indeed start a topic of nuclear content..but..in all fairness to him or anyone else ...

Why does he or anyone have to broaden their horizon ? We can and should appreciate different players and their skills sets but that doesn't mean we have to be a fan of the "music"... I can think of a few styles of music I can't relate to, and don't want to ! Smile

and yes Stephen is my friend even though he is from SC...I look past that..! Laughing

Jim Stahlhut

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2014 4:27 am    

Brian, I got into jazz by listening to Bob Wills band, Ernest Tubbs band's instrumentals, Asleep at the Wheel, Johnny Gimbel's Bosque bandits, Buddy Emmons, Maurice Anderson, Bobby Caldwell etc. Then I found myself at jazz's doorstep so I walked in. YES you can grow to love jazz!

John L. Farrell

Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2014 5:13 am    

Jim Stalhuth...
Thank You for including my friend Bobby Caldwell. He could cover it all, including Jazz.
He preferred the traditional country stuff but loved to get into the jazz stuff. He taught me to appreciate what I was hearing. I have not heard his equal. He loved playing with those who would venture into the jazz world and then lay it down on Lily Dale.
Love Ya Pal

John L. Farrell

Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2014 5:18 am     Jazz

Jim,
Sorry for misspelling your name...

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2014 5:20 am    

Brian Henry wrote:
Jim, do you think it's possible for one to appreciate jazz even if one doesn't play jazz?

I realize I'm not the "Jim" you addressed this question to, Brian, but if you don't mind, I'll state the obvious: No, it's not necessary to play any genre of music to be able to appreciate it. Most of the audience for every genre of music (from folk, through country, jazz, classical, etc.) is made up of people who have never played any musical instrument in their lives. But, for some genres, it does take some extra listening and "ear-conditioning" to begin to appreciate what you're hearing. It's a kind of "investment" of one's time that not everybody wishes to make, and that's fine too. Different strokes for diff'rent folks...

Tony Palmer

St Augustine,FL
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2014 6:08 am    

I am in awe of the jazz players on pedal steel and even more so when those pros, who might be recognized more for their E9 playing are the ones blowing me away with their C6 jazz styles.
However, I have a hard time staying interested in those long extended jazz solos, no matter who is playing them.
It seems whatever melody was the hook, quickly disappears into endless and endless improvising to the point where I don't even know what song I'm hearing anymore!
That's when I lose interest and it just sounds like a jam to me. Which I'm sure is a lot of fun to play, but I find it hard to stay actively listening to it for more than a couple of songs.
On the other hand I like playing rock music on steel and I'm sure there are plenty who don't enjoy hearing that either, so I'm quite aware we all have different musical tastes.
This post maybe should have been more about jazz playing at steel shows rather than focusing on one person who did so.

George Piburn

The Land of Enchantment New Mexico
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2014 6:20 am     Jeffran College

Earlier in this thread JEFF NEWMAN was brought up.

A major part of his teaching was to be able to play a steel guitar as an instrument in any music style. (I attended 10 years of the Jeffran too 1980 -90)

I know from personal experience that Jeff was a huge Jazz Lover in his personal listening.

We had Jeff Fran and a few friends up to Clarksville to see a Charlie Haden Quartet West Show back in 1999 when I toured with him, they enjoyed the performance very much.

Charlie gave me several of his charts to play his Jazz songs on my C6 lap steel that I carried with me on all of his shows for years -- to play in my hotel room.

Wally Moyers

Lubbock, Texas
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2014 7:05 am    

Kevin Raymer wrote:
WOW is right Ronnie....

Better men than I have died so Mr. Henry can have the right to speak his mind AND so that everyone else can voice their displeasure here in an open exchange.

AND...

My grandpa, who also sacrificed a lung on Omaha Beach to that same cause, also left me with a few nuggets of wisdom like.

"A little bit of common sense goes a long way."

"If you can't say something nice, don't say nothin at all"

And

"Nobody listens to kangaroos..."

I've wondered about that last one for a lot of my life, but I think I'm seeing the application now..

Smile

Anyway... I'll leave us with one last quote.

"Can't we all just get along"

Smile

I don't think I'll revisit this topic again.

Yawl have fun...

Kevin,
The original post has been changed.. It started out being a very mean post against Doug.. I don't think that it should be allowed after the first response has been posted..
Wally

David Hubenak

Wallis, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2014 7:19 am    

This was an absolutely great show, and many thanks to the Scott family for their efforts. I believe that some time we tend to forget the importance of the steel guitar continuing to make inroads in all music. Joe Wright, Doug J. and many others are masterful at showing that versatility. Many years ago (70's) I heard Maurice Anderson doing some work with the Dallas Symphony. It wasn't the classical work we recognize, but rather modern music at that time with a full compliment of instrumentation that only a symphonic orchestra can provide. That was great stuff. Kinda makes me proud of playing one of "those things" as it is sometime referred to.

Dean Holman

Branson MO
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2014 8:18 am    

In my opinion, this topic is NOT about not liking jazz. Regardless of what genre of music was played, there was no appreciation of Doug's skill and talent. If Doug plays a tune you don't like, that's one thing, but to critique someone's skill and ability who in the eyes and ears of everyone else clearly appreciates, tells me that one is either jealous or for some reason has an axe to grind. Really, Doug playing banjo rolls is such a terrible thing? So there is a difference between critiquing and cutting someone down.

Wally Moyers

Lubbock, Texas
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2014 12:58 pm    

Dean Holman wrote:
In my opinion, this topic is NOT about not liking jazz. Regardless of what genre of music was played, there was no appreciation of Doug's skill and talent. If Doug plays a tune you don't like, that's one thing, but to critique someone's skill and ability who in the eyes and ears of everyone else clearly appreciates, tells me that one is either jealous or for some reason has an axe to grind. Really, Doug playing banjo rolls is such a terrible thing? So there is a difference between critiquing and cutting someone down.

Absolutely Right!