The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This forum section is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Swap Meet
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Swap Meet
Joe Thurman

San Antonio, Texas
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2014 4:25 pm    

Sorry....as I am relatively new to the forum...but has there ever been a "swap meet" sponsored at these events for members to sell gear they no longer want or need? I have seen this type things with sporting clubs. It helps folks get some needed gear from trusted sources, allows the sellers to reach an audience without shipping hassles. There is often a fee to sell or a percentage of goods sold donated to the club....

Just a thought as I see many on the forum with larger items to sell....and those that say they will have things with them when they arrive in St. Louis.

Don Lanier

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2014 6:18 pm     Horse trading

I would imagine theres a fair amount of horse trading going on between people, pickers, sellers, buyers....after all theres a huge audience of steelers...sounds like an Idea, talk to Micheal and Sandra when your at the show....I dont know if they do that at any other show....
https://www.facebook.com/Pearlprocase

Tony Palmer

St Augustine,FL
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2014 1:34 am    

Don this is a great idea. I would go so far as to say most of us could pay for our trip by selling some of our unwanted "stuff". Who wouldn't want the chance to not only unload pedals, cases, effects, bars, etc we haven't used and at the sane time pick up new things at a bargain?
But don't hold your breath....I've never seen this offered as a (much welcome) option for attendees.
Change doesn't come easy from this convention, unless you count moving to smaller quarters for the smaller crowds Sad

Ron Landis

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2014 2:57 pm    

If not a swap meet, will there be builders or dealers selling guitars? I am torn between using the weekend to go to the Steel guitar shop in Nashville on my way to another music festival and going to this event. I guess I should go to St. Louis and just educate myself better before buying a psg. I have lots of good guitars to trade but I'm more interested in buying a new or a good used one.

Eric Philippsen

Central Florida USA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2014 3:40 pm    

It has been the policy of the promoter for the ISGA convention in St Louis that he is the only one allowed to sell used equipment. So, if you bring something then you can consign it for him to sell in a dedicated room there. Such a unique policy has been the subject of some online discussion. At the very least it has kept vintage and used dealers away let alone, some attendees.

However, it's always been the promoter's show and he can set any rules he wants for it.

Don Lanier

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2014 3:03 pm     Swap Meet

Its not my place to set policy or sales policiys for the event, but Ideas are Ideas, and maybe a Consignment fee could be paid and an area set up for horsetrading, I know that Scottys has lots of products, new and used and there are Steel Builders also there, Mullen, etc...the Canvas is blank and Id like to see creative ways to include some form of this, and maybe Sundays could be again used for that purpose...IDEAS make the world go around....as far as moving to smaller hotels for smaller crowds, I think Scotty didnt want to move, but the Millenium was falling down around us, along with its service and etc....Its a great new beginning for an event that BUILT the Steel Guitar Convention and has lasted well over 40 years...
https://www.facebook.com/Pearlprocase