The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Starter Lap Steel
Aaron Schiff

Cedaredge, CO, USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2000 10:07 am    

I am gathering info for purchasing a lap steel. I currently play dobro. I grew up with western swing (Leon McAullife, Joaquin Murphy) & I will probably start with Cindy Cashdollar's Homespun videos. I like the looks of Fenders & Rickenbackers from the 50's. I have also been looking at Melobar. I know from other instruments that there is a minimum level of quality necessary to learn, but that it is neither necessary nor wise to buy the best to start. I would appreciate suggestions about starting instruments, 6 string vs 8 string, tunings, amps and any other equipment. I haven't used an amp in 30 years. I know Carter has a pedal starter package, is there such a thing for lap steel that could work for small time gigging as well as learning?

Bill Findlay

Baytown, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2000 10:56 am    

If you can swing getting a Fender Stringmaster I would go for that. Either a single or Double 8. Prefeably Double. I have had a triple 8 Fender custom, a Gibson D-8 console, many years ago a Rickenbacker D-6 . The stringmaster tops them all for sound and payability. I now have a T-8 stringmaster and it is the one for western swing. If you stick with it you'll eventually have to have a SM and if you don't it is very saleable. Remington makes a good SM like lap steel which I understand is a good guitar but you would have to get a new one which is expensive. I use a session 400 amp but there are alot of suitable amps,availiable used at resonable prices. The Nashville 400 would probably be a good amp for a Lap. I would go for the eight string, whatever you get.
Regards:

------------------
billfindlay@EV1.Net
Quote:
Emmons D-10 LG, Emmons SD-10 LG III, Session 400 , 500 & NV1000 Amps.

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2000 11:26 am    

I think that a double 8 is the perfect setup for a beginner. If you use the E13 and C6th tunings, it really sets you up for eventually moving to pedal steel.

For lap, I'd recommend a 6 string tuned to C6th.

sliding bill

UK
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2001 4:36 am    

I have been "dabbling" for a couple of years now - mostly with Dobro.
I picked up an old Harmony 6 string lap steel to carry with me when I travel with work (better than just watching the TV in hotels). I have played a little C6 but mostly G (high and low bass) and lately D.
I have an 8 string under construction but I am amazed how versatile you can get with just 6 strings.
Budget has always limited me.
There are a few bargains to be had on ebay if you are patient.
Didn't the great Jerry Byrd say that it didn't really matter how many strings you had ? (or something like that).

HAve fun,

Bill

------------------
Aspiring to mediocrity