The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Effects ,yes or no
Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2003 4:48 pm    

How many of you guys use effects (other than a reverb in the amp itself) and why?And how many don`t use any?I used to play thru a Digitech 2120 and all other kinds of effects.When I first moved to Nashville I met some great players who were against effects ,they said that too much effects will only damage original sound of the guitar.Now I don`t use nothing but the reverb from my amp and I like it that way,it gives me the pure and clean tone.I have a little delay pedal but I`m not sure if I`ll use it for the live gigs or not.What do you think?

------------------

Eric West

Portland, Oregon, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2003 5:33 pm    

For about 20 years I used NO effects whatsoever. I finally tried a couple peavey reverbs and didn't like them. Then an RV3 that was two noisy and the reverb sounded too mushy.

A couple months ago after seeing Gary Morse's I got a Pod xt.

Takes a LOT of dialing in, but I like it. Great for all kinds of things. "tubey" sounding channels with old fender type tremolos, Marshal Treadplate "sound".

I can even bypass it and get that "Peavey" sound.

Reverbs, delays, stereo pans, leslies, chori, flangers and compressors up the wazoo, if wanted. I use a cave reverb with a slight 153ms delay. No amp reverb. That's what was "mushing it up".

Amp spring reverbs are what pick up neon light transformer interference too, so it's all gone. SO is the HISS that I got out of my RV3 after the vp.

It also plugs directly into the USB and records in 24 bit. I'll be doing more of that here shortly. It allows sound clips to get quickly processed down and posted too.

In short it's not a "suitcase nuke" and I don't have to put it on the floor. Not a lot of screwing around to switch channels either mounted on the leg I used to stick my tuner ( it has one) on.

EJL

[This message was edited by Eric West on 06 December 2003 at 05:34 PM.]

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2003 5:36 pm    

I love the way my Mullen sounds through my Evans amp; but, I also like to run through two f/x units.

I have a Lex with 4 or 5 different reverbs programmed in. That way I can choose the one that sounds best at a given venue. I can also turn the reverb up or down as needed, without getting up. One of the programs has just a hair of chorus added to it. I use it on a few slow tunes. Very subtle.

I also have another unit for delay only. I like to use anywhere from 250ms to 350ms of delay. I keep it turned way down. You don't really notice it unless you turn it off. It's very subtle, but I like the way it sounds.

------------------
Lee, from South Texas
Down On The Rio Grande

John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2003 5:53 pm    

Yes

Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2003 6:30 pm    

Before the days of REVERB, I used an Echolette.....for affects with my Bigsby and Fender 4 x 10's Bassman amp. Never really happy with it but it was better than DRY.
I now use my Peavy Session 400 x 15" b/w combined with my Peavy LA 400 x 12" b/w going thro' my ProFex II. I feel I have a sound worthy of anyone's ears....even with my aged old Emmons P/P.
I tried the various stomp box affects as they originally came, chorus, etc., but was never happy with them. The Pro Fex II does the job for me.
When it comes to my Bakelites and 8" Harmony amp, the DRY sound makes it sound truly traditional as in the 1940's. To ME, it's a great sound.

richard burton

Britain
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2003 1:46 am    

I use a Boss delay unit and occasionally a graphic equaliser if 'it just don't sound right'.

David L. Donald

Koh Samui Island, Thailand
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2003 2:47 am    

I just got the TransFex 212s I had on trial.
it recorded very well, and I love the twin amps and speakers in the open cabinet. I couldn't let it go back to the shop.

This allows programed stereo chorus and reverb, or two delays at the same time, and other effects anywhere I play. 90w for each speaker is enough for most any gig I could stand volume wise.

I will be transfering the Newman presets via midi from the TubeFX shortly. The TubeFx will go in the studio rack and midied to the sequqncer.

I think effects in the overall sound of a band can add texture... if properly used.

There will always be totally dry presets in my system, but the ability to have repeatable controled effects and amp preamp manipulation is a great plus for me.

But even in the totally dry presets, I can have automated eq changes or a boost for a solo ride etc. Still clean, but different.

I also can plug in the mandolin and have presets for it instantly. A great plus.
All this with one package and a midi foot pedal. And I like the sound of the amp.

Any technique that is pleasing to you is right. if it isn't don't use it.

Peter

Post  Posted 7 Dec 2003 3:27 am    

Yes, PODxt.
And here is a request for a PODxt PSG library.

------------------
Peter den Hartogh-Emmons 1978 S10 - Fender Artist S10-Remington U12-Hilton Volume Pedal-Gibson BR4 lapsteel-Guya "Stringmaster" Copy-MusicMan112RP-Peavy Rage158- - My Animation College in South Africa

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2003 8:36 am    

the thing is,I never use anybody else`s setings.I always set up the sound the way I want it.Before I stopped using effects I would keep tweeking my effects for a months while playing live and at the end I would have what I wanted and it sounded like me.I don`t believe in sounding or playing like anybody else,if it sounds good to me it is me.I like listening other players because I can hear the possibilities of their rig,guitars and amps and I can hear if that would be something that would sound good with my style of playing.I don`t care about the brand and name of the guitar or the amp I just care if it sounds good to me.

------------------

Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2003 8:45 am    

Your sound is your signature.
Using effects (or not), along with the brand of guitar and amp, how you set your amp EQ, what brand of strings you use and a whole SLEW of other stuff help define your signature.

Would you ask someone else what brand of underwear YOU SHOULD WEAR or what kind of car YOU SHOULD DRIVE? I think not.

------------------
Larry Bell - email: larry@larrybell.org - gigs - Home Page
2003 Fessenden S/D-12 8x8, 1969 Emmons S-12 6x6, 1971 Dobro, Standel and Peavey Amps

David L. Donald

Koh Samui Island, Thailand
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2003 9:25 am    

Damir, just a note.
I have modified most of the Newman presets to some extent. Some I just liked and haven't touched.
If it ain't broke don't fix it.
I just thought they would be a good place to start from. And they came on the TubeFX.
I now miss them on the new amp. But not for long.

I spend most days creating effects environments both electronically and with mic usage, so I am not likely to rest with a stock set up too long one way or another.

[This message was edited by David L. Donald on 07 December 2003 at 09:26 AM.]

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2003 10:11 am    

I normally use a Digitech S200 and a Rat distortion pedal. I can be satisfied with the verb in my NV 400, but I really like the digital verb. I like using chorus (very slight), Delay (only once or twice in a night), doubling, rotary, and compression (if set right, I get the popping sound that some tele players get).

What I really don't like about effects is that some players over use them. It really bothers me to listen to a player that uses delay all the time when they play. This pertains to the players where you can easily detect the delay and it gives almost a slapback type of delay. I also don't think delay is a substitute for good verb (I know, verb is actually a type of delay).

The moral of my story is, use effects sparingly and let the true sound of the steel guitar shine through. That sound is why we all chose this instrument.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2003 10:19 am    

NO

John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2003 10:43 am    

It's so subjective. Ricky says no, and man, he sounds awesome with no effects. But a lot of the pop stuff I play sounds better with effects than not. I use a lot of tuned delays and tremelo a lot, with some filter mod stuff on occasion. On a country gig, I use a lot less, but always have some delay and a touch of verb.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2003 10:47 am    

Mostly No effects..other than amp Reverb..

Sometimes I use my Ibanez DE7 Delay Pedal..minimal slap delay probably around + or - 300/350 ms..hard to tell with this little printed scale and I'm not quick enough to count it in real time. No repeats and very gentle delay level.I should use it more it's sounds purdy' good..

When I record here at home I do go thru a Stereo effects module on nmy workstation and the slap Delay is at 350 ms as well...

T

chas smith

Encino, CA, USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2003 11:03 am    

Depends on what kind of music it is. If it's 30's and 40's standards, then it's little or no reverb, if it's country, then spring reverb. I've recorded on metal cuts, so there's overdrivers and delays and if it's film or art music, then it's the Eventide Orville in full bloom.

John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2003 11:08 am    

Orville is an interesting fellow ...

chas smith

Encino, CA, USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2003 5:34 pm    

I'm looking forward to the Eventide Wilbur...

Ernest Cawby

Lake City, Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2003 6:02 pm    

I use a Ultrverb 2, I did use 212 setting till I heard it recorded, then I did not like it, to artificial. Now I just use 008, lead guitar, for the susstain. Sometimes an effect for just a certaion song, and that is all. I love the pure sound, of the guitar best.

ernie

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2003 11:38 pm    

Moved to 'Electronics' section.