The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  LeGrande Tunable Splits
Jeff A. Smith

Angola,Ind. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2003 10:04 pm    

I've had my LeGrande II for several weeks now, and figure it's about time to find out what the allen screws along the back of the changer are able to do. I understand what splits basically do, and I think there may be one on the A pedal/vertical 5th string drop combination, since it sounds pretty good.

Just looking at these screws, that I know have something to do with splits, I can't tell how they work or if everything required to have a split on other changes is already present on the guitar.

Can anybody help me out?

Thanks,

Jeff

mtulbert

Plano, Texas 75023
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2003 4:21 am    

IF the system is the same as a Zum, you tune in this order.

1. Tune the open string to pitch.

2. Tune the "split" (pedals and knee lever where the Tuning Rods are on the side of the guitar.

3. Tune the pedal down only where the hex nut is.

It may be different on an Emmons and Carl Dixon would be the one to verify if this is correct. I also believe that Carl has a tutorial here on the forum if you do a search through the posts.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Mark T.

Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2003 7:59 am    

Jeff,
You have a raise, a lower, and a split between them

Tune the open string at the keyhead
Tune the raised note at the nylon nut
Tune the split at the nylon nut for the lower
Tune the lower with the setscrew that contacts the changer to limit the lowering and tune the split properly

Hope this helps

------------------
Larry Bell - email: larry@larrybell.org - gigs - Home Page
2003 Fessenden S/D-12 8x8, 1969 Emmons S-12 6x6, 1971 Dobro, Standel and Peavey Amps

C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2003 8:43 am    

Sorry Larry, I did not know you had posted when I did, so I have deleted all this post except for the following:

Note: IF you tune pure JI on the A pedal, the "split" with the B to Bb lever will not achieve an in tune C note. The reason for this is the "split" feature was designed to "raise" the lower note instead of lowering it. And sharp it ends up when one tunes JI. There is NO answer for this except, to just half pedal instead of splitting.

carl

[This message was edited by C Dixon on 04 December 2003 at 08:45 AM.]

[This message was edited by C Dixon on 04 December 2003 at 12:13 PM.]

Jeff A. Smith

Angola,Ind. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2003 8:15 pm    

Thanks guys. Larry, it just clicked for me. I could see the screws extending through toward the fingers, but I couldn't see beyond that. I'll also do a search for Carl's tutorial.

Man these guitars are cool. I did some recording the other night, just running direct from the back of my Nashville 400 to a guy's digital Roland console.

The result was nothing exotic, just a beautiful, basic Emmons tone, that still had an element of warmth to it.

I honestly was taken aback at how good it sounded!

Jeff A. Smith

Angola,Ind. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2003 8:42 pm    

I just checked what goes on when I use the A pedal with the vertical lever, and I think part of what confused me is that none of the set screws are currently making contact with any of the changer fingers. Since I assumed an endplate tunable split was operative at least on the 5th string, this confused me.

Somehow, tuning JI beginning with E's 8 cents sharp, the split "C" note clocks in at just slightly over 0 (440 on my Korg). This allows the basic minor triad with the split to sound like pretty good ET.

I had assumed there was an endplate tunable split operating here, but maybe it's just the expert setup job that was done by Danny Hullihen shortly before I bought the guitar.

[This message was edited by Jeff A. Smith on 04 December 2003 at 08:47 PM.]