The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Always hunting for that "sound"
Leon Eneboe

Sisseton, South Dakota, USA
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2003 7:08 am    

How many of you guys have been down this road? I remember when Jeff Newman wrote in the PSG newsletter, back in the 80s, telling about the "double amp" set up, using two amps with an Ibanez analog delay and a chorus. I followed through and bought two NV400s with above mentioned equipment. Later I got a PV Profex two. I have a RV3, and probable some other stuff in my accumulation. Well, what I am saying is that there seems to be a pristene sound that gets lost in the shuffle when you get on a stage with about 5 other guys and there equipment. I have just about settled in on using one amp with a DD5 delay. So my question is...what simple, minimal combination of amp and effects works best and to your satisfaction?

Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2003 8:39 am    

My favorite combination is a late 60's push-pull through two 70W 1970 Standel Custom XV's. That's just my personal preference and I believe everyone should find what works for them.

WARNING: Just because it works for you now doesn't mean that
1. It will work for you every gig OR
2. It will continue to be your favorite rig

Everyone changes guitars and amps periodically. I have five different amps I use for different applications. Some are tube and some transistor amps. I don't personally prefer the newer solid state amps, but many folks sound great through them.

I think concentrating on sounding good through a really LOUSY amp will reap more benefit than obsessing over whether a NV1000 or an Evans or a Webb brings you to your own steel guitar nirvana.

Just my opinion.

------------------
Larry Bell - email: larry@larrybell.org - gigs - Home Page
2003 Fessenden S/D-12 8x8, 1969 Emmons S-12 6x6, 1971 Dobro, Standel and Peavey Amps

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2003 9:27 am    

Moved to 'Electronics' section.