The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fender Champ
Scott Burns

Haiku, Maui, Hawaii
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2000 12:18 pm    

My old Fender Champ is in fairly Good shape, still, not like looking at something in mint condition. Should I consider having it refinished, or simply look at a few Mojo nicks. Would one even think of doing such a trivil thing? I've watched enough Antique Roadshows on PBS to know that refinish is a dirty word.

Steve Honum

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2000 1:45 pm    

Scott, You don't state whether your amp is tweed or tolex. If it's tweed I would NOT recover. The new tweed is not as nice as the old tweed which had a coat of varnish for protection and looks. Recovering a tweed amp lowers the resale value of the amp considerably. Resurfacing a tolex amp my not have such an effect but I would be very reluctant. A few nicks or discoloration just adds to the character. Fender Champs are great little amps and command fairly respectable prices here in L.A. Tweed ones are highly sought after. I have a silverface Vibro Champ which I use all the time at home for practice, recording and small jam sessions. I used to have a tweed Champ many years ago that was unbelievably cool. I wish I still had it.
Haere mae,
Steve Honunu

[This message was edited by Steve Honum on 04 December 2000 at 01:52 PM.]

Scott Burns

Haiku, Maui, Hawaii
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2000 2:52 pm    

Sorry, I should have mentioned that my Fender Champ is a 6string Lap Steel.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2000 3:08 pm    

In that case take the grill cloth off it immediately. It looks stupid!!
Aw gee, Scott, is it really ugly? I mean, you really nail it in your language--mojo nicks. I like that! If you got this thing looking virgin, would it feel beautiful in your hands or would you wonder where the vibe went? If you can project an answer to that in your imagination, then there's your answer. I don't think I'd let the antique refinishing orthodoxy worry me. Just my own sensibilities.

Steve Honum

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2000 3:08 pm    

Thanks for the clafification. The Champ Steels are also going for decent prices in L.A. (in original condition). I would still recommend NOT refinishing any pre-CBS Fender product.
Haere mae,
Steve Honunu