The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New Capo
Ted Smith

Idaho - shot of Jeff Peterson, Ted and Smith Curry "Nothing but the taillights tour"
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2000 11:19 am    

Jeff Berringer told me about this and I just received it, a new Capo from a guy in Dillsboro IN., that is the best I've seen for Lap Steel and Dobro. Looks like the Beard but has a balance on both sides and instead of the thumb screw it has a cam lever so you can install it with one hand - very sweet. He's just making them custom for $50 each, Elmer Bradley, phone number is (812)432-3205 if you want more info. It's probably like most of the custom lap steel stuff, a few get made that everybody wants a few years later and then you can't get one.

David Pennybaker

Conroe, TX USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2000 2:12 pm    

Hey, Ted.

Do you have any pictures of these? Or a website link?

I'm assuming it'll work on the Melobro. I've been leary of buying a capo for it yet, because I'm always concerned that it won't work due to the high string height on the Melobro.

------------------
The Unofficial Photographer of The Wilkinsons

Olli Haavisto

Jarvenpaa,Finland
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2000 12:15 am    

David,
High string string heigth is not a problem with Dobro capos (except maybe the Kyser),low height is.For ex. only the Beard fits (barely) under the strings of my Weiss copy.

------------------
Olli Haavisto
Polar steeler
Finland

Bill Leff

Santa Cruz, CA, USA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2000 9:04 am    

Olli, beg to differ on your string height comment. I have a Korean Regal that the Shubb capo will not work on because the strings are too high, which is why I sold the capo. I talked to Shubb about it and they don't have a solution to the problem.

-Bill

Peter Jacobs

Northern Virginia
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2000 9:21 am    

If you can find one, the Leno capo should fit just about any raised nut guitar, as it is simply two bars that clamp onto the strings (I don't know if its made any more). One thing though -- its locking clip may bang into the neck of your lap steel, so you may have to use it upside down (I do this on my Melobar, but it shouldn't be a problem on a resonator guitar).

Ted Smith

Idaho - shot of Jeff Peterson, Ted and Smith Curry "Nothing but the taillights tour"
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2000 9:23 am    

The neck widths and string heights really do differ on resonator guitars. Beards capo works from the top to eliminate this but you have to use both hands to install it. This Bradley capo is very similar to the Beard but has a cam lever that makes it so you can install it with one hand. I'll try and get a picture on the hotsheet today.

Ted Smith

Post  Posted 22 Nov 2000 10:35 am    

I got a couple of shots of it. That hotsheet is slow to load because of the number of pictures on it.

[This message was edited by Ted Smith on 22 November 2000 at 05:25 PM.]

Olli Haavisto

Jarvenpaa,Finland
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2000 11:15 pm    

Bill,
I meant to write down the Shubb capo as the one that might not fit but for some reason it came out as Kyser!I don`t think they even make Dobro capos.

------------------
Olli Haavisto
Polar steeler
Finland