The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sho-Bud Maverick as a non-pedal
Marc Weller

Upland, Ca. 91784
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2000 7:51 pm    

Group,

I've been looking for a single eight with 3/8 string spacing (a Fender Custom would be perfect or perhaps a Cougar). Anyway, I saw this Sho-bud Maverick on e-bay and it is a beautiful looking instrument. A single ten which does not have any pedals or levers. Any thoughts on using this as a non-pedal instrument ?? Anybody know what the string spacing is on these things?

MW

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2000 8:36 pm    

Generally, 10 string pedal steels do not make good non-pedal steels because the strings are too close for bar slants (on 2 adjacent strings). I played many Mavericks back in the 80's (belonging to my students) and as I remember, the string spacing is the normal spacing for a 10 string pedal steel... close as compared to 6 or 8 string non-pedal instruments.

------------------
www.dougbsteel.com

George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2000 8:46 pm    

Marc....I have a Sho-Bud 10 string frypan which is actually the same body of the original Sho-Bud "Limited (?) Edition" JB
8 string frypan. Shot turned these out to the dismay of JB who had been given assurances from Shot the mould would be destroyed after 250 of the JB's were made. Anyway, the string spacing is 3/16" and I feel it is not really a comfortable guitar to play...manageable, but not comfortable. The Sho-Bud 10 string frypan has a better pickup than the JB model and also the tuning gears are far superior. I have a JB short neck 8 frypan to compare it with. Personally, I prefer 8 string "lap" guitars.

[This message was edited by George Keoki Lake on 15 November 2000 at 08:48 PM.]

Tele

Andy W. - Wolfenbuettel, Germany
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2000 3:48 am    

Sho-Buds D-9 from late 50s to early 60s have a nice and comfortable string spacing. I really love to play mine. They are hard to find, but if you could track one down it really will surprises you. Plus, the sound is great.

Andy

------------------

ShoBud Gallery

Marc Weller

Upland, Ca. 91784
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2000 7:34 am    

Thanks for all of the info guys.

MW

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2000 12:25 pm    

I used to use mine without pedals. I cut some aluminum tubing to the right length for legs for stand-up playing. I was playing rock-a-billy at the time, and it was perfect for that.

The string spacing on a Maverick is too close to do bar slants on adjacent strings, though. It wouldn't be good for traditional Hawaiian songs.

Ed Mooney

Evanston,IL
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2000 1:14 pm    

I had a Maverick that was awful sounding (to my ear) until I changed the pickup to a George L's PF-1. It sounded like a real instrument after that. EJMjr