The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Bashful Brother Oswald on the dobro
Colin Black

San Juan, Puerto Rico
Post  Posted 8 May 2000 7:11 am    

I just bought a copy of Brother Oswald's (first?) solo dobro album--I can't even remember the name right now. It's about 15 songs long, all instrumental and all standards. The insert says that he and his pals recorded the entire album in a day--just went in there and busted them out! Well, I would highly recommend the album to anyone who plays the dobro or just to anyone who wants to hear a wonderful musician play a wonderful instrument. It's truly inspirational.

I would add, too, that I am a pretty young guy (26--is that still young?), new to the steel guitar world (in fact, my first lap steel seems to be on the very slow boat from the states to PR). So, this is not nostalgia (not that there's anything wrong with that), this is discovery! I woke up Sunday morning and put in this CD and I couldn't keep my hands off my guitar, playing along (as best I could). In particular, the rendition of Tennessee Waltz is so simple and beautiful that you can't help but play it yourself.

Anyhow, enough spouting, I just thought I would share my pleasure at discovering one of the greats, and recommend to anyone that has not heard this CD to put it on their wish list.

Regards,

Colin

Andy Alford

Post  Posted 8 May 2000 2:45 pm    

He is grand.If you like him on the Dobro you ought to hear Little Roy Wiggins on the Hawaiian Steel.

mikey

New Jersey
Post  Posted 8 May 2000 3:12 pm    

Oz has been an inspiration to me since I started playing Dobro...for people who are interested, you can get some fine Videos of his playing from Clarence Jackson at www.dobrojackson.com if you have a problem opening the site, (I tried and just did) # is (843) 899-3359 in SC...as well as CDs, Tapes and Brother Oswald's book directly from Oz, mail for the list....
Pete Kirby
PO Box 1734
Madison, TN 37116
PS just for anyone who doesn't know, Oz tunes up a step...Open A, some great stuff on the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band's Record, Will the Circle Be Unbroken, and Oz has a relatively new CD out, Rounder CD 0080, Don't Say Aloha by Bashful Brother Oswald...Great record, Check it out,
Aloha,
Mike

[This message was edited by mikey on 08 May 2000 at 04:21 PM.]

Garryharris

Hendersonville, TN USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2000 6:12 pm    

The Bashful Brother Oswald sound is the best.
I am not a big dobro fan but I like his sound. To me most dobro players overplay. It seems that they believe that more is better. In a time frame many play three notes when one would be perfect. I'm not impressed with how fast a dobro can be played. I like it when they keep it simple.

Ric Nelson

Silver Spring, Maryland
Post  Posted 9 May 2000 5:23 am    

Colin:
Oswald ("Pete" Kirby) has inspired most dobro players over the years. In fact, many of the newer players don't even realize this. He set down the standard licks back in the 1930s. He once told me that he was self-taught and just played what came natural.

Even my hero, Shot Jackson, was inspired when he first hear the dobro being played by Oswald over the radio. Both of them inspired me. Neither of them used a Stevens bar, which many dobro players do, but instead they used a standard steel bar. In fun, they said only "whimps" used the Stevens and as soon as I heard that I also changed. It took a little practice to be able to hold on to it and of course, you can't eat any French fires before you play or you'd have a missile, ready to fire, in your hand.

When Oswald recorded the "Wabash Cannonball" he used a pick-up with an amp. After it was released, he said that when he heard it he hated the sound so much that he sold the guitar to one person and the amp to another so he'd never hear it again.

His health is poor nowadays and he is in my prayers. I'd say, if you are playing along with his CDs and thinking about what he is doing, you are in mighty good company.

Colin Black

San Juan, Puerto Rico
Post  Posted 9 May 2000 5:53 am    

I'm awfully sorry to hear that his health is poor, and he will be in my thoughts as well. Hopefully he knows that he is an inspiration to others (pickers and just plain people). In fact, I was trying to pick along to that CD again last night before I went to bed (with the flattop, not a dobro or steel). I couldn't quite get the line, but in my efforts I came across a lick that pleased me; I turned off the CD and turned on the recorder; recorded a rythm track and a lead track, and threw in some impromptu vocals for kicks. Before you know it, my inability to correctly imitate Oswald had led to a catchy little ditty that I hummed myself to sleep with. Now that's inspiration!

I look forward to many pleasant hours of playing with "Oz." (He never even gets upset when I mess up! )

Colin

[This message was edited by Colin Black on 09 May 2000 at 06:54 AM.]

Andy Alford

Post  Posted 10 May 2000 2:18 am    

Last year I found a Regal/Dobro Dobro like his that is prewar.It is a round neck with the added nut.The body built by Regal is deeper then the Dobro factory ones of the time.The guitar is a joy to play.Oswald will always be number one to me on the Dobro.Marty Robbins always wanted to hear Os play it on the opry.It was grand when they made him a member.I read where Roy wiggins learned his ting a ling from hearing the crying sounds of Oswald's dobro.In a day of volume,speed,and finger tricks he shines like a star.His playing is grand.

Kenny Dail

Kinston, N.C. R.I.P.
Post  Posted 10 May 2000 6:34 pm    

I have always enjoyed Oz's Dobro style above any others I have heard but, before Oz went to work with Roy Acuff, Roy had another player that was considered very "hot". His name was Clel "Tex" Summey (sp?). The world of Country music knows this artist by his other stage name, "Cousn Jody" of Alonzo and Oscar fame. Cousin Jody and Bashful Brother Oswald are the pioneers of Dobro as applied to country music. Oswald played an instrumental quite frequently called "Dobro Chimes" however, the Hawaiians play the same tune and call it "Maui Chimes".

Just a bit of trivia that I thought might be interesting to a few of us.

Another bit of infor re Roy Acuff. Roy's band was called the "Smokey Mountain Boys and Girls", but befor he went to the Opry his band was known as "Roy Acuff and the Crazy Tennesseeans". the name change was recommended by Judge George D. Hay, founder of the Grand Ole Opry. The change was recommended because the Crazy Tennesseeans was not "suitable" and unacceptable by the Judge for an Opry act.

Ric I'm not trying to steel (steal...LOL) any of your thunder...just trying to elaborate a little more as to the "pioneer" side of your post.

------------------
kd...and the beat goes on...

Ric Nelson

Silver Spring, Maryland
Post  Posted 11 May 2000 8:13 am    

Kenny:
You're not steeling any. It's all good information and we're all here to share it. That's what the Forum is all about. In fact, it would be wrong if you didn't share what you know with the rest of us.

Garryharris

Hendersonville, TN USA
Post  Posted 12 May 2000 5:19 am    

I had a brief chat with cousin Jody once. he said that he recorded the original Walbash Cannon Ball. I thought that Jody's use of the Steel sort of degraded it. This thing where he would lift his leg then make a loud sound with his guitar. It got a laugh but at what cost to his dignity?

Kenny Dail

Kinston, N.C. R.I.P.
Post  Posted 13 May 2000 11:26 pm    

Garry, I find myself not in total agreement with you in respect to Cousin' Jody's funny licks and actions while playing the novelty tunes Alonzo and Oscar performed. He is one of the few that I have heard that could take the steel guitar to yet another medium... comedy. You have to be a good player to be at ease and play as bad as he played while doing his comedy routines. This not an attempt to flame you or put your opinion down, and I hope we can disagree and still be friends. BTW, update me on Johnny Gimble if you have any new input. Thanks.

------------------

[This message was edited by Kenny Dail on 14 May 2000 at 12:32 AM.]

HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 20 May 2000 10:40 am    

Kenny,I find myself in agreement with you concerning comedy and musicianship, and as to not steer this thread away from Pete "Bashful Brother Oswald" Kirby,I think that a separate thread on this topic,which I'll start in Bar Chatter, might prove interesting.BTW,was the name "Brother Oswald" created for comic effect as was "Uncle Josh" Graves?

------------------

[This message was edited by HowardR on 20 May 2000 at 11:42 AM.]

Kenny Dail

Kinston, N.C. R.I.P.
Post  Posted 20 May 2000 1:18 pm    

HowardR, In the early years Roy Acuff had a girl singer in the group hence the name "Smoky Mountain Boys and Girls" and Roy would introduce them for a song as "Rachel and her Bashful Brother Oswald". If my memory serves me right, I believe she played or flogged the B@njo during their comedic renditions. And, no they were not brother and sister. That was how "Bashful Brother Oswald" got the name. And Oz was always dressed for and was the comedy act for the group but he never played "comedy steel" in the manner that "Cousin Jody" did.

------------------

Andy Alford

Post  Posted 13 Nov 2000 5:46 am    

The RC Cola shows have alot of Oswald.On one of them Roy Acuff intoduces Oswald and his Hawaiian guitar not Dobro.These shows were in the early 50s.

C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2000 6:51 am    

Wow,

This thread really brought back some nostalgia to me. Been a long time since I thought of my boyhood and listening with my dad late on Saturday night to the Grand Ole Opry. And the singing of Roy Acuff. He became my idol. At that time I had no idea what a steel guitar was. Or as some posters have said, "Hawaiian Guitar". I just liked Roy Acuff.

Later, when I heard Roy Wiggins, I started taking lessons on the "Hawaiian Guitar". It was then I became acutely aware of Bashful Brother Oswald" and of course "Rachel" who did in fact play a banjo. They had a team act as I recall. As a regular part of Roy's show.

I was living in Tampa, Florida then and Roy often performed at the municpal auditorium there. Being a small child I can remember as though it was yeserday going with my parents to see Roy Acuff, and his "Smokey Mountain Boys". And of course Rachel and Oswald. Also a comedy act featuring one of the band members called "Pap". I was on the edge of my chair. I remember Oswald with that string around his neck holding that "Hawaiian Guitar". It was many years later, that I became aware of the word, "Dobro".

Yes this thread brings back a lot. Pardon folks have to wipe my eyes. My father has passed on. Those were some real touching moments in my long ago past. Wow!

Incidently, I believe Eddy Arnold asked Roy to "clean up" the Oswald "ting-a-ling" sound. Which of course he did. I was never a fan of Oswald's type of rapid ting-a-ling. I preferred Little Roy's more mellow sound.

But I will say this, Bashful Brother Oswald was a "fixture" to the Roy Acuff era for as long as it lasted. It was tantamount to Don Rich with Buck Owens.

This happens a lot in entertainment. Where a "sidekick" becomes inseperable with the "star". And Pete Kirby was one mighty fine gentleman. I met him on several ocassions in later years. And to know him is to love him.

What a "laugh".

God bless Bashful Brother Oswald,

carl

Andy Alford

Post  Posted 14 Nov 2000 7:51 pm    

When Oz plays the dobro he reminds me of how important he is to the introduction of the hawaiian guitar to the world of country music.

HOWaiian

Post  Posted 15 Nov 2000 1:15 am    

thanx all for turning me on to the Bashful Brother. what's the name of the disc you've got, colin?

I'm a newbie to the board; I think it's fantastic. My name's How, and I play lap steel (feel like I'm in Steelers Anonymous!):
'52 (or thereabouts) Stringmaster 8, strung up with 6, 'cos that's more than enough for me. Mostly Hawaiian for me.

Your discussions are inspiring me to play it a lot more!

John DeBoalt

Harrisville New York USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2000 5:42 pm    

I remember meeting OZ back in the early eighty's. He and Charlie Collins did a gig a couple of nights a week at the KOA campground near Opry Land. He was as fine a gentleman as you would ever want to meet. To me he was the Roy Acuff sound. It's too bad that there is not more room for bands with a sound and style to call there own in todays country music, as was possible in the days of OZ and Roy.

------------------