The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  3 necks
Joe Delaronde

Selkirk, Manitoba, Canada
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2000 7:46 pm    

Would you prefer a 3 neck to a double or single neck, why? I know the answer seems quite obvious, but I'm curiuos to the reasons some steelers will give. How many out there play a triple neck steel????
Thanks ...Joe

[This message was edited by Joe Delaronde on 23 October 2000 at 08:47 PM.]

George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2000 8:38 pm    

I have had a 3 neck Fender since 1954 and I must confess I seldom take it out anymore. Just too heavy and bulky. I get along fine with my double neck Rickenbacker. Besides, I feel 2 good tunings are all that are required for the gigs I play which are always Hawaiian.

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2000 10:08 pm    

I have had a Fender Custom for about a year so I am not yet tired of hauling it around.I use it not that frequently,but I like the options it affords me.I use E13 (DEF#G#BC#EG#),G6(EGBDEGBD instead of A6-I am more commfortable with it) and C6(CC#EGACEG).I keep that top neck for experimenting so I change the tuning from time to time.

Billy Jones

Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2000 11:18 pm    

We sure missed you in The Pas Joe. It was a great time.
When I had my triple Fender Custom, I used 2 necks for my inversions, mainly A6th and E13, and the 3rd neck for specialty tunings that worked well for some of the odd chord changes that I used to play with when I wanted a fat sound. I even tried the bass tuning that wasn't too popular but it did open a lot of doors.
.... Billy

Robert

Chicago
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2000 4:23 pm    

Joe -
I guess a triple-neck would look cool on stage, but for the added expense, weight, and opportunities for tuning machine or pick-up breakdowns, I can't see it. Two necks with two useful tunings for the music you want to play seem like plenty. Anyway, you can always change to SOME other tunings on one or the other neck without re-stringing the darned thing . . . if you need it for a certain song, or you just want to play around with a new tuning. On the other hand, if somebody is GIVING you a triple-neck, accept it graciously and think of something to do with a third neck!

Take care,

Rob