The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Hilton volume pedal crackle
Joseph Kincher

Portland, Oregon USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2013 6:19 pm    

I'm having an issue with my (practically) new Hilton pedal, but I suspect the problem is not the pedal itself, and thought I'd bounce it off the forumites before bothering Keith.

Basically it's this: I''m generating crackling sounds (more like clicks and pops, maybe) when engaging the pedal, similar to a potentiometer issue, only it's a Hilton, so no pots. I had a similar issue with my Goodrich, even after replacing the pot, and now I'm thinking the problem lies elsewhere.

The guitar is only a year old, the Hilton is new, and I'm experiencing crackle on both of my amps. So it's gotta be the cables, right? I seem to remember Greg Cutshaw mentioning that one's cables could have a negative effect on a VP. My cables seem to be fine-- crackle only happens when engaging the pedal--and they're not old, but they're not "high end" either. So what needs to happen here, exactly?

Thanks in advance, fellas.

Joe

Last edited by Joseph Kincher on 14 Nov 2013 7:53 pm; edited 2 times in total

Bill L. Wilson

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2013 7:51 pm     Cracklin' Sounds.

It could be static electricity off of your clothes, shoes, carpet, or some other source. I've got a dimmer in my dining room that causes buzzing in a radio when plugged into that particular circuit.

Ben Lawson

Brooksville Florida
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2013 9:15 pm    

Joe after you check the other possibilities I can tell you that Keith is one of the best manufacturers you can deal with. If there is a problem with the pedal, which is rare, Keith is the fairest and fastest to help out.

Charles Pompe

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2013 8:51 am     Cords

I had the same problem. Keith suggested cords and I finally replaced them, all of them.. Mad He was right. No more problems.

Charlie