The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Bmi Steel Guitars
Richard Bradley

California, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2003 12:24 pm    

I am purchasing a BMI single -12 from Bobby Seymours guitars. I would appreciate any user comments on these guitars. I do not see people playing them.

Tony LaCroix

Austin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2003 3:45 pm    

Hi Richard. I just stood up from my BMI S-10, which sounds fantastic to me. I did a great deal of research before buying it. If you search for BMI in the pedal steel section, you'll find nothing but good comments. I think you see them so seldom because there aren't very many of them. Mine stays in tune really well, which is about 90% of what I look for in ANY stringed instrument!

Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2003 7:10 pm    

Zane Beck who designed the BMI contributed
greatly to the development of the pedal steel guitar. He was a genius in the elite class of a very few builders. You should enjoy your BMI very much. He was also the most generous guy I have ever known in the business. I have stories that would bring a tear to my eye telling the way he treated me.
A truly great person, player, designer, builder.
Jerry

Graham Griffith

Tempe, N.S.W., Australia
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2003 7:55 pm    

I've been playing BMI's since 1978 and have no problems .. a great guitar. I'm getting an Anapeg (a "Rolls Royce" according to Winnie Winston) this year but I'll be keeping the BMI. Zane Beck, who I had the pleasure of knowing, was a mechanical genius and Don Fritsche, who built all of my guitars, is a master builder who puts a lot of care into the instruments.

Graham Griffith

Reggie Duncan

Mississippi
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2003 5:10 am    

I would be considered a push-pull player, but I own a BMI S-10. I have used it on many sessions with good results. Zane was surely one of the best!

[This message was edited by Reggie Duncan on 26 June 2003 at 06:10 AM.]

Nicholas Dedring

Beacon, New York, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2003 8:04 am    

Did Zane Beck make them before, after, or at the same time as the ZB Customs?

Also, does anyone know who bought Robbie Turner's BMI from Scotty's Music? I kept looking at it, thinking how neat it was... but I already have one more guitar than I know how to play It was a keyless doubleneck, with 12st E9, and 10st C6, 7p5k. It hung around for a while, and finally vanished. Any ideas what happened to it?

Paul Warnik

Illinois,USA
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2003 8:07 am    

Richard B-I owned a S-12 black BMI from 1980 to about 1983 and I recall the string spacing was somewhat closer than that of most standard 10 string models-I found that when I got used to the closeness of the strings I developed more speed picking them-But that was 20 years ago-HA

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2003 10:51 am    

Hey Richard,
I've had my S-12 BMI for 12 or 13 years now and am totally happy with it. The stock pickup is as good as any on the market. It stays in tune and plays very easy. As someone mentioned, the string spacing is closer. I had a ShoBud S-12 before this guitar and I think I can play faster on my BMI because of the spacing. They're a great guitar in my opinion.

------------------
Livin' in the Past and the Future with a 12 string Mooney Universal tuning.

B.Jenkins

Parkersburg, WV...U.S.A
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2003 2:34 pm    

Richard, you have bought one of the smoothest playing steels around bar none.
Probley the reason you dont see to many for sale, is because why sell something that is doing what you want it to do, without any hang up's.
I have owned 8 and just ordered another one,after selling my Emmons,and I wish I had orderd a B.M.I. when I ordered the Emmons way back when.
you'll like the feel and tone of your new steel..
God Bless
Billy..B.M.I. D-10
B.M.I. dealer

Richard Bradley

California, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2003 9:25 am    

many thanks to all of you for your comments.May you all be blessed with happiness and good fortune!I cant wait to get the steel!