The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  My restored D-10 ZB Custom
Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2003 8:16 pm    

I want to publicly thank the following people for my restored 1971 D-10 ZB Custom. Daniel Cormier for finding it, Jerry Fessenden for setting it up and putting four new knee levers on it, Gregg Jones for his immense knowledge of ZB Custom steels, and Tom Brumley for his great playing and inspiration
for me to obtain a classic restored ZB Custom. This guitar is rock solid stable. Barely no cabinet drop. Sings like a bird. Stays in tune on the job. It plays about like a push-pull. If these guitars are set up by someone who knows what they are doing they are rock solid. All the metal was polished out to a mirror finish and looks new. I wasn't sure I was going to keep this but I love this guitar now. It has a very unique beautiful tone through an RV-3 and a Webb 614-E. A real classic. I feel like I'm riding in a 64 Corvette.

[This message was edited by Kevin Hatton on 08 April 2003 at 09:17 PM.]

[This message was edited by Kevin Hatton on 08 April 2003 at 09:18 PM.]

[This message was edited by Kevin Hatton on 08 April 2003 at 09:23 PM.]

Chris Erbacher

Sausalito, California, USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2003 11:24 pm    

glad to hear you are enjoying it, i have a '71 d-11/10 8x6 and have been pondering whether to send it to greg or not to set it up and go thru it for me. it is pretty good right now, but i have this feeling like it would be really sweet if he went thru it for me. what color is yours? mine is a brown bottom with clear coat blonde up top with the same color brown for the necks, and the fretboards are white, thing is super heavy. where i work, they also provide housing, and i am going to get a unit, (i am still single and only 28 years old so i can still get away with where i will be living) BUT i will have to lug all my equipment up three floors worth of stairs, including the steel. this poses interesting questions about alternate forms of transportation for steels. does anyone out there know of a case company what makes cases with dollies built into/onto them? just thought i'd ask. i'm glad you are enjoying your steel, i love mine and i know the feeling, when everything is set up just right, it's butter all the way, i'm thinking about getting an s-10 for travel and movement, so i can leave the double neck at home most of the time. take it easy and congratulations.

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2003 4:18 am    

Quote:
does anyone out there know of a case company what makes cases with dollies built into/onto them?
Bob Dell does:
http://www.cox-internet.com/dellcases/

Dave Van Allen

Doylestown, PA , US , Earth
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2003 5:44 am    

Quote:
A real classic. I feel like I'm riding in a 64 Corvette.

I think mine's more of a "land yacht", like, say a '66 Chrysler Imperial

enjoy it!!! welcome to the club!

Jay Ganz

Out Behind The Barn
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2003 8:03 am    

Come on.....let's see it!!!

Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2003 8:21 am    

I don't have the facility to post a picture, but if someone else does I will email it to you so it can be posted. The guitar is olive green fornt with natural tops and pyramid inlay on the front and necks. Its in near new condition now. Yes, it is heavy, but I installed wheels on the case and a handle on the other end. I roll it around and have NO problem transporting it. I am having a second smaller case made for the pedal board and legs to make the main case even lighter.

Larry Chung

San Francisco, CA, USA
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2003 8:38 am    

Hey Kevin!

Congratulations. I'm sure it's ZBeautiful guitar and you will have ZBest smile on your face when you play your ZB.

I also have another case for tthe pedal board and legs - drops a few important pounds off of the total weight and off of my back.

ZBest,
larry

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2003 6:15 am    

Hey Kevin,email me your pictures and I will post them here.I can`t wait to see it.
damirzanne@yahoo.com
DB

Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2003 8:57 am    

Thanks Damir.

Chris Erbacher

Sausalito, California, USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2003 7:26 pm    

thanks jim, this will make my life a lot easier. has anyone out there used one of these cases? looks real nice, i'm just concerned with the size of the wheels, as it seems like bigger, more meaty wheels would make it easier going up steps, especially big steps. i really appreciate the tip.