The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  snap rings
George Wixon

Waterbury, CT USA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2003 3:37 pm    

I have a foolish question that I think I may know the answer to but not certain. Why couldn't an E ring be used instead of a snap ring? The only reason that I could possibly come up with is that a snap ring is maintaining contact with 90% of the groove where as an E ring only contacts the groove in 3 small spots and may tend to pop out of the groove if there were enough of a side force on the shaft.
It just seems that an E ring is much easier to work with and no special tools are required to put them on or take them off.
Has anyone tried using an E ring in place of a snap ring on any of the pull rod linkages for a Shobud?
George

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2003 5:46 pm    

It wouldn't be country.

Bill Ford

Graniteville SC Aiken
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2003 5:57 pm    

George,
E rings might work better on the E9 neck!!!!(you knew that was coming,didn't you?)With that said,snaprings are a more reliable fastener,speaking from past experience,I've not lost near as many snaprings as E clips.The equipment I used to work on/with had both and I always replaced with snaps. You can get an inexpencive pair of bentnose SR pliers that should work well on your Sho-Bud.

------------------
Bill Ford

George Wixon

Waterbury, CT USA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2003 7:03 pm    

Bill, I have all the tools already. I was just curious to know why the snap rings were used instead of the E rings. I just got a Shobud Pro III and had the whole thing apart to clean out 30 years worth of crud and in the process of putting it back together was just thinking if anyone ever lost one of those clips at a gig what a big problem it might cause trying to get another one on in its place. These things are bad enough to work with when you have all the room and light that you need and I could only imagine what it would be like trying to replace one where you now need extra tools and probably very little light. E rings just seem a lot easier to deal with.
George

Bobbe Seymour

Hendersonville TN USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2003 7:17 pm    

It all depends on how long your "E-rings". Sustain could be the issue here. A dark sustain will ring longer than a light sustain. Actually , a snap doesn't ring all that well. Just a POP! and it's over.
Earnest Bovine, you started this line of answering!

I stock both , have used both and found it makes NO difference in operation.
( I hate having to be serious.)

Joerg Hennig

Bavaria, Germany
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2003 11:25 am    

Quote:
if anyone ever lost one of those clips at a gig what a big problem it might cause trying to get another one on in its place.

In case that happens, I always carry a few inches of bare copper wire (very small diameter). A few wraps around the shaft of the rod puller will hold it in place. It actually works.

Joe H.

Gino Iorfida

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2003 12:48 pm    

I don't see what the problem with the snap rings are. You can get a box of 100 for under $10 at a good hardware store or McMaster Carr. Snap ring pliers for under $10 as well at a lot of places. (sears, lowes, homedepot, flea market etc). At that price, just throw a handful in a ziplock bag and a pair of the pliers in your pac a seat, and be done with it

John Kavanagh

Kentville, Nova Scotia, Canada * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2003 2:25 pm    

Those of us who tune a tone low would have to use a D ring, of course.

RON PRESTON

Dodson, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2003 1:53 am    

Good Lord,
I just got in from my Sat. night gig....it's 5:00AM....and I'm REALLY trying to hit the sack.......But, YOU GUYS ARE "RINGING BY BELL".
Bobby, When you ARE SERIOUS..Your STILL FUNNY.
Goddnight, ALL....

Willis Vanderberg

Petoskey Mi
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2003 9:19 am    

Ron:
I never could convince my wife that saturday night gigs lasted until five in the morning.....Bud