The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  JB Frying Pan
STAN REMICK

Mukilteo, WA, USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2000 6:16 pm    

I have been thinking seriously of purchasing one of the limited production JB Frying Pan 8 string steels that were made in the 70's by ShoBud. I would appreciate any input on the guitar's quality, sound, etc.

Stan Remick
Steel player for Mended Heart www.mendedheart.com

George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2000 9:30 pm    

If you have any thoughts about the JB (Sho-Bud) being a modern day replacement to the old Rickenbacker Frypan, it is not. As I have mentioned on previous posts, this guitar has what appears to be a duplicate of the Rickenbacker horseshoe magnet pickup, when in reality, the horseshoes are mere decoration and have no bearing whatsoever on the pickup itself. This is not to say it is not a good guitar, it is...but in no way compares to the original Ric frypans. IMHO the Japanese models are superior to the Sho-Buds...

c c johnson

killeen,tx usa * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2000 3:44 am    

I agree with Keoki that the new frypans are not the equal of the orig Ricks,however they do come close,that is if you happen to get one that the maker was paying close attention to quality control at the time. There can be so much difference in the tone from one frypan{new} to another. IMHO, The Sho-Buds have a sweeter tone. The Excels that I have played either are very sharp or muddy. Does the frozen tundra effect your tone, Keoki. The 113 degree temp here just sweetens things up. BTW in fairness to Excel, I have their JB dbl 8 and it is the finest guitar I have ever owned.

------------------

Dave Mayes

Oakland, Ca.
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2000 7:01 am    

I had a JB (Sho-Bud) Frypan and my right hand never got comfortable with the placement of the volume and tone control knobs. The over all workmanship was a bit lacking on mine, but that didn't bother me. On the upside I was very happy with the sound of the pickup - although it sounded nothing like the original Frypans. I also liked the wide string spacing at the nut and bridge.

wayne yakes md

denver, colorado
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2000 8:40 am    

It's a great guitar with a bluesy, throaty, tone that is great. Check out Chuck Lettes new CD and on the tune he wrote,"Little Ricky" has plays the JB Frypan and it sounds wonderful.

STAN REMICK

Mukilteo, WA, USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2000 9:06 am    

Thanks everyone for your input on the ShowBud Frypan. It is so great to have the forum as a resource and the collective knowledge of all the great steel players. I am continually amazed at the ease with which steel players share information.

Stan Remick
Steel Player for Mended Heart www.mendedheart.com

p.s. I have a real challenge this weekend. Our band is switching off sets at the Puyallup Washington Fair with Craig Chambers and Tommy Morrell. That is a tough act to follow.

Ric Nelson

Silver Spring, Maryland
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2000 1:18 pm    

I have a 24 1/2 JB ShoBud Fry Pan and I really like everythig about it. For my style of playing it works well, with a rich tone. I think you'll be happy with it.

If you don't know where to get one, I can help you if need be.