The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Large digs in aluminum
George Wixon

Waterbury, CT USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2003 7:36 am    

Trying to get out some really large digs in a pedal board. Small scratches are not a problem as you would normally sand them out before polishing but what about deep gouges or large digs? These digs are probably a good .010 to .015 deep and about as wide, length may range from 1/2 to 1 inch . I was thinking about using liquid aluminum but don't know if it will polish up or for that matter stay put while sanding and polishing. This pedal board is from a Pro III that I'm restoring and I'd like to save it if possible.
Any suggestions?
Thanks,
George

Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2003 8:48 am    

George, from the back side place a punch in the center of the gouge and hit it with a hammer. You should ease into it and not raise the metal any more than necessary. The idea is to make a raised area where the gouge is, then file it flush. Repeat this as necessary until the gouge is removed the sand and polish. It might leave some ugly pings in the back side but that is normally not nearly as tough to hide if needed. Use caution doing this on cast aluminum but it is easily done on soft aluminum such as the pedal bar. This is the method autobody repair was done before they started using plastic filler.
Jerry

Ed Naylor

portsmouth.ohio usa, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2003 9:49 am    

The old Sho-Buds used castings that sometimes were filled with little "Air Bubbles" that is caused by the type of Alumiumn that is melted and used in the castings. It has been my experience to "Block" sand it with 320 Automotive paper then with 600 grit wet/dry then polish. If that doesen't do it, it can't be done. Ed Naylor Steel Guitar Works

richard burton

Britain
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2003 12:22 pm    

Why not give it a uniform matt finish. Sand blast it. It is not essential for the pedal bar to be shiny.

George Wixon

Waterbury, CT USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2003 1:53 pm    

Ed, I'll try the sanding and see were I end up. These gouges are fairly deep and I can't get to all of them by punching the back out. I was thinking about a matt finish but I like the shine more. Thanks for the help.
George

Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2003 7:09 pm    

I take mine to a professional metal polisher.
You can find one in the phone book. They all come back looking brand new for $30.00.

Bob Cox

Buckeye State
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2003 7:15 pm    

Another way is to heliarc new metal over gouge.Then file then sand.Any good weld shop can help you on the weld.