The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Earl Finley - Lead Guitar player Westerm Swing Era
Billy Tonnesen

R.I.P., Buena Park, California
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2013 6:35 pm    

My old Buddy from the old Western Swing Era passed away at age 88 last week. We played with the Ole Rasmussen Capitol recording Band from 1946 thru 1955.
Earl also was part of the last Bob Wills road band along with Jimmy Wyble and Steel Player Billy Bowman.
This Band was active for about 6 months but did not make any recordings. Attached is a picture of Earl and Myself with the Ole Rasmussen Band around 1950.
I am now the only living member left ! We also did a couple of Sessions with Tommy Duncan when he was working with the O.R. Band.

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2013 3:05 am    

Hey Billy, sorry to hear of Earl's passing. The "Nebraska Cornhuskers" were really a gem in the history of California bands and many artists when booking in SoCal wouldn't bring a band with them, they'd just use you guys as y'all were the top of the heap for sure! I didn't know Earl but I know you and knew Teddy Wilds as I played a couple of things with him years ago. That's a great picture and I can't believe how small you look! Anyone that knows you knows that you're about 6'6" tall but you don't seem to be in that shot. Also, who's the guy standing next to Earl? He looks familiar...........JH in Va.

Bryce Baker

Whittier,Ca
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2013 10:42 am    

Billy, sorry to hear of Earl Finley's passing. You guys sure made a tight guitar combo. Always enjoyed listening to you.
Your comment about Earl playing with Jimmy Wyble and Billy Bowman with Bob Wills was interesting. Do you have any approximate time era this was in?

Billy Tonnesen

R.I.P., Buena Park, California
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2013 12:44 pm    

Jerry: Standing next to Earl was Austin Strode, Pisno Player ! here's another picture of the Band
at McDonald's Ballroom in Compton, Ca. where I am standing up. My height was 6' 4".

Bryce: The time line for the Bob Wills band had to be in the early 60's. I believe Bob's health problems took him off the road.

frank rogers

usa
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2013 5:03 pm    

Mr. Tonnesen, It is an honor to have the greats that pioneered this wonderful instrument, that we love, as members of this forum. Thanks so much for sharing the pix and the stories. May your good friend RIP. F.R.