The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Brand New to PSG
Lary Marshall

Green Oak Township, Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2013 8:33 pm    

I have got the fever to learn how to play Pedal Steel Guitar. I've been playing regular 6 string acoustic and electric for nearly 50 years, and really want to see if I can learn how to play this great instrument. I've never even touched one, and have no background on the instrument other than what I have read on this forum. As crazy as it may sound, I'd like to purchase a very nice instrument {$3k-$5K}(i've learned from my 6 string days that a good instrument can make a significant difference)but there are a lot of brands, both new and used. If I decide to go with a used PSG, I'm pretty sure that I will buy from this site. I would be very interested in your comments and recommendations on an instrument. Also, any recommendations on some good beginner's instruction would be appreciated. Living in Michigan, I have not found a very broad support base yet. Thanks for any comments.

Jason Lynch

Essex, United Kingdom
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2013 2:55 am     welcome

one more PSG picker is always good!
I'm UK based, we're rarer than hens teeth covered in rocking horse droppings over here!
most players would say avoid the starters and budget models and buy the best profesional model you can afford. if nothing else, it will hold it's value better than a starter model if you decide that PSG isn't for you after all!
I, like a few people i suspect, started with a book. Winnie winstons, in fact. there are a few good one's out there, winnies, micky adams, to name but two. also youtube vids, by Micky adams, joe barcus, and a few others will help re pick and bar control, palm muting, basics of chords and scales and then just leap in and learn something. I'm only three years in. I'm sure, however, that somebody on here will know a good player or teacher near you that can help.
All the best
Jason

Tommy Janiga

New York, USA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2013 3:22 am    

Hey Lary -

I was like you - nearly 50 years on keyboard, 40 on guitar and bass, and finally bought a steel after wanting one for a long time.

When I sold my Mom's house, I had some mad money for something I wanted, so I started reading here and learned some things (If you search, there are lots of threads like this one). I wanted a Zum, but they weren't taking new orders (I think they do sell starter models). I bought a Mullen G2 SD10 and I'm very happy with it. Mike Mantey was good to deal with. I've had it for two months now.

http://www.mullenguitars.com/guitars.htm#.UV1h6mcmmUk

I'm not helpless mechanically, but I didn't want to mess around with a rig that needed work while at the same time trying to learn to play it.

It's not an easy instrument, but nothing wrong with a challenge. Plus, after dropping that much cash, I'm determined to become a competent steel player. Good luck.

Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2013 4:24 am    

Lary, where in Michigan are you located. I have several pedal steel guitars and I am considering selling one or two. I live near Manchester, west of Ann Arbor. Or, maybe I could just offer you some advice.

Jim Pitman

Waterbury Ctr. VT 05677 USA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2013 5:05 am    

Larry, have you decided which type D10/S10/S12U/ you would prefer?
I was going to recommend attending one of the large PSG conventions and going from booth to booth trying different guitars. But, if you have never played one, I don't think you would know what to look for.
I would recommend buying used. Get one of the major brands. Then get a year of experience under your belt. At the end of that year you might consider buying new when you become familiar with the issues like tuning repeatability/playability/tone/detune/hysteresis. This gives you time to develop a preference.
A used PSG would not depreciate as rapidly as a new one. You could sell it to finance the new one. If you buy a double 10 the market is bigger for resale.
I certainly wouldn't rule out a single 12 universal for your final purchase. Nor would I rule it out for your initial purchase if you have a strong preference for the universal concept. It has weight and versatility advantages.
I just bought a new S12 universal based on people's personal impressions of a guitar offered by a new builder, Frank Carter, who makes the "Infinity". They had posted threads here on the forum about it. I lucked out as Frank had a new S12U already built and ready to go when I had the cash on hand. (Frank lucked out too, lol).I did not have the chance to try it out so it was a bit risky. However, the jargon and subject matter in the threads was quite familiar to me. I was not disappointed with my purchase. This is the fifth PSG I have owned in 30 years so I was quite the informed buyer though.
Ditto what Jason said on learning material.

James Sission

Sugar Land,Texas USA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2013 5:23 am    

http://steelguitar.com/beginners.html

Click on that link and go to the very bottom right hand corner. John Fabian did a video for 6 string players wanting to play pedal steel and he explains how to make the transition. Its a very good video for a guy in your position.

Jason Lynch

Essex, United Kingdom
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2013 5:39 am     Ditto

I've watched this video too, I think i right clicked on it and selected "save target as" and saved somewhere. useful as a starting point.

Adrian Wang

Singapore
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2013 6:41 am    

Do note, to take the weight of the PSG into consideration, should you want to carry it around.
I am about a year into it & still far from good.
Being halfway across the globe from the pedal steel country, I had to get new so that it would not require repair.

Last edited by Adrian Wang on 4 Apr 2013 6:47 am; edited 1 time in total

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2013 6:44 am    

Larry, I started out on keyboards before I started playing steel. There are so many great steel guitar companies out there that build wonderful steel guitars. I play a Jackson BlackJack Custom built by the Jackson Steel Guitar Co. Those steel guitars have a sound similar to a 1960s Sho-Bud. Before the Jackson, I played a beginner's '74 Emmons, then a GFI Ultra D-10. You will love playing the steel guitar!

Brett
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Lary Marshall

Green Oak Township, Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2013 8:22 pm     Thanks everyone

Thank you all so much. I'm so impressed by the openness of the PSG community. I'll keep you all advised with my progress. My target is to purchase my first PSG this summer. (Note that my plans have changed from buying my PSG to buying my FIRST PSG)
Lary

Mike Wheeler

Delaware, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2013 5:11 am    

Lary, I also was a 6 stringer when I started on pedal steel in the 70's. Back then there was no internet, few stores carried steels, and very little published instruction material available. Being a finger style player was a huge help in learning...I was used to individual finger control and that made steel playing much more familiar. But nowadays there's info everywhere and in all kinds of forms. The best advise I could give would be to play what makes you happy. The rest will come to you in time with practice...just like on 6 string.

Anyway, you'll have a blast with a steel! Just keep it fun, and don't get too wrapped up in learning fast. That can take all the fun out of it...and, to me, the fun and enjoyment was the biggest motivator...and still is! Smile

As for learning material, check out Jeff Newman's stuff at http://www.jeffran.com/

Eric Dahlhoff

Point Arena, California
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2013 8:21 am     Get one that fits you

I also played 6 string guitar for 40+ yrs. And when I first started learning PSG 3 yrs ago, I was able to try several and was amazed at how different the ergonomics were - by that I mean the distance and relative positions of the pedals and knees.

So my main advice is to get a modern-ish one that allows you to easily move the knee levers around. And experiment with moving them until you find what works & feels easy.
Thats my 2 cents.
PSG is just plain awesome fun! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy