Author Topic:  Zum Encore
James Taylor

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2013 2:53 am    

Thank you Roger and very happy steeling.James Taylor Smile Smile Smile

Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2013 3:19 am    

Whats the going rate roger to send a S10 back home, the most affordable? Ups said $1800.00 approx! Crying or Very sad
Of course i'm taking it on the plane, but i need to know shipping via another affordable method, anything for $300 etc ?? Rolling Eyes

Zum encore's are great guitars. Have you checked with Jerry Hogan, James? he has a website i see.
V.A.T won't go down as you know Very Happy and import fee's might be a killer along with shipping...Combine it with a trip the states and take one home on the plane, stuff some clothes in it and distract em with a joke telling them it's a experimental guitar device, they normally look dazed and say Uuuuh OK. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2013 7:07 am    

Larry

My experience using USPS has only been with 6-string guitars. There's an upper limit with regard to dimensions but an acoustic in a shipping carton just falls within those limits. Surely a steel in a box would also fall within them?

I sent a Telecaster to Germany which cost about $110. I sent two acoustics to a friend in London and they were delivered without any duties being levied! I declared the full values on the forms, too - I don't understand that, but it happened.

There's a short period of anxiety due to the low maximum insurance but, as I said earlier, I've never had any issues.

I should say that the extra weight in a steel might push those rates up a bit but I bet they're still way under those of UPS, Fedex and/or DHL.

CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2013 7:25 am    

shipping the Encore to France via USPS was approx 190 $
that's a lot cheaper than fedex, ups or dhl

Last edited by CrowBear Schmitt on 20 Mar 2013 7:30 am; edited 1 time in total

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2013 7:28 am    

Thanks, Crowbear - that confirms that the weight will push it up a bit (not surprisingly, I suppose! Whoa! )

Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2013 1:03 pm    

Thanks fellows...What i actually did a short time ago was to go to the UPS website and go through the dimensions and weight chart, which gave me the scary number's...I may have been way off with something, but about 50LBS was right at $1500.00 i believe...I'll have to go to the USPS website just for a trial run and see what they show. Thanks Roger and Crow, that sounds a lot more reasonable, one can expect a couple hundred in real world, and would probably be affordable for James because would be about 120 quid...

James Taylor

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2013 3:47 pm     Zum Encore

That does seem to be a reasonable costing in this economic position we are all in at this time. Thanks Larry, Roger and CrowBear . James Taylor Smile Smile Smile

Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2013 1:33 pm    

If someone could tell me how to post an MP3 or WAV on here I would post Braydon playing his Encore. He has been playing about 8 or 9 months and is doing well I think. He lives in Tulsa, OK about 125 miles from us so I don't get to help him as much as I would like.
Jerry

Fred Glave

McHenry, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2013 2:11 pm    

I think if you just cut and paste the http: of the recording right to your post it should work. I haven't used it yet, but once I do, you all will wish I never did!
http://soundcloud.com/

James Taylor

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2013 6:55 am     Encore

OK, ROGER, CROWBEAR and LARRY ,I have actually ordered one and will let you all know when it arrives. It may well be a miracle if I can pick two strings on it Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2013 7:08 am     Re: Encore

James Taylor wrote:
OK, ROGER, CROWBEAR and LARRY ,I have actually ordered one and will let you all know when it arrives. It may well be a miracle if I can pick two strings on it Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

James
Where about in the UK are you? I will be setting up steel guitar lessons and classes in May this year.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,

Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2013 7:46 am    

Well done James, sounds good...Please let us know what the shipping rates are please, [out of curiosity]! Very Happy

Ken's highly recommended if you can James.

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2013 8:06 am    

Larry Bressington wrote:
Well done James, sounds good...Please let us know what the shipping rates are please, [out of curiosity]! Very Happy

Ken's highly recommended if you can James.

Well thank you Larry - you're a star. Very Happy
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,

Doug Earnest

Branson, MO USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2013 8:52 am    

Postage is $181.25 for a 43 pound package 34L x 11H x 11D, including insurance in the amount of $650 which is the maximum amount available to the UK.
Thanks for the order James. If you don't learn to play it won't be because you don't have a good guitar. I bet you will do fine. At the very least you can amuse yourself for a good long time.

James Taylor

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2013 10:59 am     Encore

Doug, I have always loved the steel guitar and Don Helms inspired me. However, it is the sound of the pedal steel that really got to me and the E9 sound in particular. I have a Fender 8string pedal steel which gives me some satisfaction and till I get your one; it is fine. However, I did play six string till a nerve in my left hand ended that.I had an excellant teacher he had played with all the top jazz trios and quartets in London and was infact voted top rhythm guitarist and came second as soloist; that was many,many years ago. Thank you DOUG and everyone else who has been helpful. YOURS AYE JAMES TAYLOR SCOTLAND Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

James Taylor

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2013 11:35 am     Encore

Yes Larry, although I live in the far north of Scotland, you know Ken's name is known in this backwoods too!!!I will patiently wait for Doug's masterpiece and take it from there. I must say this has been a very difficult choice for me as there are many excellant second hand instruments out there .Then some of the new makes like Fred JUSTICE guitars had me looking for a while as they are impressive too.In the end I always heard the sound bites of the stage one and such good reports kept touging at my heart and I have never heard a bad word on them from anyone. This will be a house model and the grandchildren will be fighting over it when I leave this mortal coil.Perhaps I'm the first elderly pensioner to buy one? YOURS AYE JAMES TAYLOR THANKING EVERYONE OVER: SCOTLAND ,<ENGLAND and ALL OVER THE USA FOR BEING SUCH GOOD FRIENDS IN ALL THIS. JUST LOOK OUT FOR MY SILLY QUESTIONS!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2013 11:44 am    

James
You have some great players in Scotland, so there would be no shortage of guys who could show you the ropes. I know Allan Thompson, Malcolm McMaster, Billy's Murdoch & McKillop and Bob Adams personally, and all are really nice guys who are also good players.

James Taylor

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2013 12:21 pm     Encore

Thank you KEN ,I do appreciate the interest everyone has taken in this and there is little doubt I'll get round it. I have lots of patience . EVERY BEST WISH JAMES TAYLOR Smile Smile Smile [/url][/u]

CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2013 2:26 am    

Good to see you made the jump James
Doug is great to work with
you're gonna love your Encore... Winking

Mule Ferguson

N Wilkesboro NC,
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2013 5:56 am    

Welcome aboard James. We will have to start an Old Farts Encore Club. Wear Kilts, Drink Scotch, and Steel.

80 yr old Steeler
Mule Ferguson
Son of Fergus

James Taylor

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2013 10:55 am     Encore

Thanks Crowbear you have always been one of the gems!Thanks Mule and son that seems like a good idea and perhaps with a :ZUM a Zimmer and a Zig zag staff aid Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy .Can someone tell me how to include pictures? I did it once and it expanded over an entire page. Now all I get is numerical images!!! On the whisky that you mentioned Mule I have a story. During the war a ship HMS Polition sank off one of the islands on the west coast . Well we live on the Moray coast and while the customs and police were raiding the crofts on the west, local fishing boats were shipping cargoes to our area. Under my grandmother's bed lay crates of expensive whiskey. Our neighbours were the POLICE and every New Year they complimented my father on his choice of pure mault whiskey. A chief Inspecter now retired is writing a book on his service and the Police so I gave him that story in detail. Yes we were great whisky drinkers my father even took it in his tea;but that's a longer story. YOURS AYE JAMES TAYLOR or should I say slange -a- va, good health.

Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2013 11:17 am    

Long as we can smoke a fag or two jockie, count me in please, thanks awfully ode chap! Very Happy Very Happy

I'll be in Bristol in may if theese was in the area.

Mule Ferguson

N Wilkesboro NC,
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2013 11:56 am    

720x1080
Large pictures are automatically resized.
Pictures larger than 1600x1200 may fail.

jpg, jpeg, pjpeg, gif, pn

James, make sure the pictures are less than 1600 X 1200

Mule Ferguson

N Wilkesboro NC,
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2013 12:02 pm    

Here is the photo for the last post. make sure to give time to uploadan be sure to insert picture. its a little tricky at first.
Mule

James Taylor

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2013 1:07 pm     Encore

Larry We have a son near BRISTOL but it is years since we have been down that way . However, I do hope you enjoy your stay and the weather has improved by then . Mule , thank you for the practical advice I will try again and sorry for my rotten spelling in the last letter,infact it is quite embarrassing with our native drink!!!! Sad Embarassed JAMES TAYLOR