The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Farris Currie
Russell Nugent

LA (lower Alabama)
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2013 4:41 pm    

Well, those of you who have been checking the forum for a dozen years or so may remember my friend Farris. I met him several years ago when I bought a great ShoBud Professional from him. He was a simple, hard working, God fearing man who was doing the best he could to take care of his disabled wife and to eke out a living by welding ornamental iron. He had been battling a myriad of illnesses for several years now, and was diagnosed with ALS a few months ago.

I haven't seen him in a year or so. I used to visit him at least once a month when he lived in an assisted living facility about an hour away. He had his Emmons set up and was frustrated that a stroke kept his left hand from doing what he wanted it to but he tried and, frankly, it sounded pretty good! He also wrote a few songs, did some watercoloring, and plotted an escape!

He didn't like living in the ALF, which was actually the elementary school that he had gone to many years prior. When I would visit him one of the aides, a very nice Hispanic women, would check on him and he would mention that he wanted to marry her. Well, one day I got a call from his sister that he actually did marry her!

She lost her job; he gained his freedom and his escape from Resthaven!

That's when we lost touch.

I called Anita, his sister, a couple of months ago and she told me that he was in a nursing home in Avon Park, about another 30 minutes east. I sent him a copy of the latest Mike Johnson CD and asked her to tell him I would visit soon.

It was not meant to be. Seasonal allergies (in Florida it's already past Spring) brought on a cold that's been lingering and I didn't want to do anything that could hurt him.

I was planning to visit next week.

Tonight I got a call from Anita that on Monday, Farris had a massive heart attack. He died about 1 a.m. today.

I am sad that I did not get a chance to see him again, but glad that his struggle is over. I wouldn't wish ALS on anyone.

Farris loved the steel guitar, the Steel Guitar Forum and all of his friends he used to converse with. I'm sure that he and the Possum King are kicking it around again.

Thanks for the Shobud and the friendship, Farris. I'll miss that you're not around.

autry andress

Plano, Tx.
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2013 5:03 pm     Farris

Hate to hear this. I sure miss Farris & the possum King
from the humor section from a few years ago. They could sure shoot the bull.
Rest in pease guys you are not forgotten.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2013 5:38 pm    

Farris Currie was a real crack-up in the Humor section of the Forum. I never met him in person, but from his writing I'm certain that he was beloved by many in his life.

Here's the link to read through his old posts and reminisce: http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/search.php?search_author=Farris+Currie

Rest in peace, old friend.

Ken Lang

Simi Valley, Ca
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2013 6:24 pm    

Farris and his story's were a bright spot on the Forum. Sad.

Donna Dodd

Acworth, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2013 1:43 am    

b0b wrote:
Farris Currie was a real crack-up in the Humor section of the Forum. I never met him in person, but from his writing I'm certain that he was beloved by many in his life.

Here's the link to read through his old posts and reminisce: http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/search.php?search_author=Farris+Currie

Rest in peace, old friend.

Thanks for the link, B0B. Great memories. Farris was a special man.
- from movie Six Degrees of Separation

Come visit my steel guitar store on CafePress! http://www.cafepress.com/zoomwithaview
Webmaster, http://www.georgiasteelguitar.com

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2013 2:38 am    

Condolences to the family. Farris came to our steel club jams a couple of times, although he didn't pick.

Archie Nicol

Ayrshire, Scotland
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2013 3:15 am    

Sad news. He and Jennings' wonderful [sic] possum recipes were as unique as they were inedible (I assumed). Never tried possum. He is sadly missed on here.

Arch.

Chris Boyd

Leonia,N.J./Charlestown,R.I.
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2013 5:11 am    

Very sad.. RIP Farris...

bruce fischer

florissant, mo. 63031 USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2013 1:09 pm    

0, so sorry to hear this.
may he be pikkin' in the heavenly band............
bruce & lynn

Walter Stettner

Vienna, Austria
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2013 12:43 am    

Farris was a real character and a very nice person. I I exchanged messages with him and even talked to him in person one time in one of the old Steel Guitar Chat Rooms. I miss him, as well as the possum king.

RIP, my friend.

Walter Stettner
Vienna, Austria

David Collins

Madison, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2013 2:43 am    

Rest In Peace ol friend.

CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2013 8:35 am    

Rest in Peace Farris aka PK : Possum King
Thanx for sharing some good times here w: us
my condolences to his family

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2013 9:06 am    

I liked Farris and Jennings, although I can't say I actually ever knew what they were talking about!

RIP Farris.

Wayne Morgan

Rutledge, TN, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2013 9:44 am    

Sad news, Farris was one of a kind, he loved to talk steel and about just anything else. We spent a lot of time in the steel room. He had a vision at one time to sell the shop and all his tools and buy a moterhome and visit all his steel friends around the country, that never happened. Hilda was from east Tennessee and he always called me Cuz, because I lived in east Tn.
I sure missed him when he was no longer in the steel room and tried to keep up with him. I tried to keep a curent phone number fro him and kinda lost all contact, and later I heared that he was doing good and had remarried.
He was country as boiled 'possum and me beeing the Hillbilly I am, we became good friends.
I miss you ole pal
Wayne

Ben Elder

La Crescenta, California, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2013 9:34 pm    

In my early days on the Forum, I was so tickled by Farris's posts (not even the ones in Humor, a section I rarely visit) that I wrote the SGF post-equivalent of a fan letter. We never met except on these cyberpages; I'm all the way across the country, probably some years younger, a city kid with a pointy-headed education and not much experience with possums--but still I became a big Farris fan. I've missed seeing his posts on the Forum in recent years and his absence leaves a huge void.

So now I hope he's cracking up--and jamming with--John, Jimmy, Jerry, Winnie, Don, Buddy C, Hal, Shot, Pete, Red, Leo, Ed, Mike and all the rest.

Donna Dodd

Acworth, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2013 7:55 am    

Russell, Farris was a blessed man to have a friend like you!
Farris and I talked on the phone a few times when he was first in the nursing home. He later sent me a long letter that included some of his own song lyrics. I was moderator of the HUMOR section for a number of years. So many of us played possum with him and Jennings. I loved every minute of it! Here's a little sampling from our buddy, Farris:
Quote:
Jennings,thank you my friend for the call this evening, Larry get ready man for the gator hunt. Crowbear,Thank you for the call this morning.I am so greatful to all you guys.i can feel it now a big Gator hunt is coming on. even Crowbear,i could hear it in his voice boys,he is wanting in on the hunt to. Boys don't ever let Jennings sing to ya,it will hurt your ears.......haha farris
Farris Currie

Quote:
posted 20 April 2005 06:49 PM profile Don't know how to say how much i love you guys!Most i will probaly never meet in this life.But you all will never know how special you are to me.I was thinking today,about yesterday,my birthday,and all the kidding,then selling the pro1 on the forum,no conflicts. Just don't ever won't to hurt any of you in any way.some times i smart off,not thinking,but love you all.

farrisHAHAHA,you guys are something else!!Love each one of ya!!Thanks RON,seems the possum kindda took over huh.Well,Jennings called me tonight,so glad to hear him again.i was sure getting worried about him for a spell.

I been telling all my Friends about the forum. and to join up.Jennings and I agree,its the best thing we could have for us old folks. How i wish we could have had something like this years ago.

I have learned so much on here,and friends all over the world.

you guys are the best.. farris

Come visit my steel guitar store on CafePress! http://www.cafepress.com/zoomwithaview

Cass Broadview

Post  Posted 16 Mar 2013 1:35 pm    

So sorry to hear this. My dear friend George Redmon still has the letters that Farris sent him with a newspaper clipping from florida. I will pass this on to george, who is in very poor guarded health himself. We had a fun time back then with Farris, i miss those carefree fun days on the forum. Cass Broadview

Dan Galysh

Hendersonville, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2013 6:03 am    

Yes, I also miss the animated exchanges between him and the Possum King. Rest in peace.

HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2013 8:58 am    

Those good 'ole boys were fun 'ole boys......and sure livened things up......I also miss Porter Faucett from years ago and more recently Cleat Wooley......all of these guys went about funnin' around in their own way......even if I had no idea what they were talking about at times, they were having fun and it sure rubbed off.....

RIP, all of them.......

Last edited by HowardR on 6 Apr 2013 8:16 am; edited 2 times in total

Jay Yuskaitis

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2013 12:57 pm    

So sorry to hear this. Jay Y.

Ron Whitworth

Yuma,Ariz.USA Yeah they say it's a DRY heat !!
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2013 5:28 pm    

Sorry to hear of his passing..
He kept this forum laughing a lot -
was so funny to read his posts along with Jennings also.
He will be missed.
Ron

We need to turn the TWANG up a little

It's not what you play through, it's what you play through it.

They say that tone is all in the fingers...I say it is all in your head Smile

Some of the best pieces of life are the little pieces all added up..Ron

the value of friendship. Old friends shine like diamonds, you can always call them and - most important - you can't buy them.

Tony Davis

Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2013 4:20 am    

Well...I never did get to meet Farris...but I did get to meet Jennings ..The Possum King...Here,s how the story goes........
They were always joking...and Jenings saying he waa
Possum King.....I think somewhere a long the line
Lillie was Possum Princess.......
Anyway....Jennings was looking to buy a Possum cap...bit like a Davy Crocket cap....couldnt find one anywhere......"enter the Possum Queen!!...Donna Dodd.!!.....she tracked one down in New Zealand....but couldnt be sure it would arrive in USA in time to present it to Jennings in St Louis........Sooo...knowing I was going to St Louis...asked it be sent to me..and would I bring it there...Yep..No Problem !!!

Jennings was thrilled with his Hat when it was presented to him at Donnas B/day party !

Then Donna gave me a white Tee shirt with something about Possum on it..I forget what....and asked would I go around and get a few Forum signatures for Faris

Well I got a couple or three..then though..Hang On !!!!!...I can do better than that for HIm....!!!

So I went wandering...got the BIG E...Doug J...Don Helms...Russ Hicks....jus everyone who was there...they were all pleased to sign it

I believe Farris was real pleased with it....

Wanted Donna to have it back to keep ..but she said "No Way !!!

Bob Hickish

Port Ludlow, Washington, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2013 7:29 am    

Tony
Thanks for the reminder , there was a cast of caricatures . MS Dodd brought a lot of Humor to the Forum - but with Farris & Jennings it was non stop -- two That I remember , but not mentioned , were -- Larry East & Larry West --- we also lost one of the Larry’s - Maybe there all back at it , in the here after -- may they all RIP

Donna Dodd

Acworth, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2013 2:30 pm    

Tony, you are right about the shirt we did for Farris. I was hopeful that I had taken a picture of it after you got all the signatures for Farris, but I can't seem to locate anything. Sad The shirt said something like Possum (put-some) steel in your country . Farris called to say thank you, and said it was something he would treasure always. I'm pretty sure you got a signature from everyone who attended that show, Tony!! Couldn't have done it without you!

Bob, Farris always talked about 'his Larrys'. We called them Larry East and West. Larry (West) was Larry Strawn from Arizona. What a great guy. Larry (East) was Larry Robbins - also a wonderful guy! It was a very sad time when Larry Strawn died so unexpectedly.
Don't forget another of the possum characters was Archie Nicol, aka as "The Bish".

Fun times .............

Willis Vanderberg

Petoskey Mi
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2013 10:56 am    

I was very fortunate to live about half hour from Farris. I did visit the old iron works a few times. He was doing triple duty as caretaker for his wife, iron worker and steel picker. His old shop was pretty interesting. A lot of old ShoBud parts laying around . I also knew Jennings too. He loved the old p/p Emmons guitars. There was never a dull moment or a lack of conversation between those two.
So I hope you both are resting high up on that mountain, Lord knows you both deserve it.
Just remembering two really good folks...

Old Bud