The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Modified ShoBud info??
Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2003 10:09 am    

At lunch today I went by my favorite music store (Alpha Music, Virginia Beach, Va.) for some strings and to my surprise they had a very nice looking S-10 ShoBud for sale. It was a very clean guitar with the red finish but only had two knee levers on the right. There were screw holes underneath indicating that it probably had two more levers at one time. It has the wide pedals with the grate on top so it's probably a pretty old guitar but dang near mint condition.. What made me curious about this guitar was that when I looked at the endplate there was only one row of raises and one row of lowers but it had nylon tuners. It had the 4th string raise on one knee lever with a brass collar on it for the E to F raise. The 8th string raise was in the normal way and tuned at the endplate. The guitar also has a different pickup which looks like a double coil type with blades instead of the individual pole pieces. Could this have been one of those rack and barrel things converted to the regular pulling system? That's the only thing I could figure with only one raise hole per string. They want $999.00 for the guitar and considering the shape it's in that's probably a good buy but I'm not sure. it looks like it just came off the show room floor. Also, if it was a converted rack model, did they have a red finish in that era? Thanks for any info you might be able to give me about this.

------------------
Livin' in the Past and the Future with a 12 string Mooney Universal tuning.

Ed Naylor

portsmouth.ohio usa, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2003 11:17 am    

Sounds like a Pro 1 with a Lawrence Pickup. Ed Naylor Steel Guitar Works

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2003 3:16 pm    

Sounds like the pickup is a Bill Lawrence 705. I have them on the E9th on my Sho Bud Pro III, and my MSA Classis SS both, and I really like the sound.

------------------
Darvin Willhoite
Riva Ridge Recording