The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Newbe Needs Advice on Pick-up Change
John S. King

Mentor, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2003 8:59 pm    

Has anyone changed a pick-up on a MSA S10 Classic? How hard is it? Is there a pick-up that can be installed without problems & what is it? What would be the very best pick-up to install? I don't want to get into a job I will regret or one that will require major modifications to mount it. Your advice will be most appreciated. Thanks

------------------
John

Gino Iorfida

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2003 11:47 pm    

Well, I've changed the pickups on a D10 MSA, Classic, so it should be just about hte same procedure. WITH one consideration... what pickup is currently in there? I.E. does the aluminum that the changer sets on extend past the pickup toward the neck (if so, I"m guessing you have a SUperSustain or SuperSustain-II pickup in there -- i.e. is it like 2" wide).
OR is there wood surrounding the pickup on all sides (i.e. narrow, like 3/4" wide pickup)?

If it's the wider pickups, then changing is pretty simple, unsoldering 2 wires, and strapping the new pickup in (different makes have differnt means to mount etc)... if it's the older style, then there may have to be some routing involved.

My personal choice is a TruTone by Jerry Wallace who hangs on here. Very nice pickups etc. Don't know if one would fit into the older style w/o routing, however, with Jerry you have the advantage that he could a) rewind your current pickup to his specs etc or b) come up with something custom that would drop right in...

John S. King

Mentor, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2003 4:11 am    

Thanks Gino for your help. The aluminum does not extend past the changer. The pick-up looks like it is set in the wood, it measures 1 1/8 inches wide x 4.00 long and you can see the ten magnets which are about 1/4 inch in diameter. The reason I want to replace the pick-up is that when the steel is turned on you hear a buzzing or humming sound and I have been told that this was typical of the MSA pick-up's, besides this one is about 25 to 30 years old I would estimate.

------------------
John

[This message was edited by John S. King on 15 February 2003 at 04:12 AM.]

[This message was edited by John S. King on 15 February 2003 at 05:15 AM.]

Fred Shannon

Rocking "S" Ranch, Comancheria, Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2003 4:25 am    

John, get in touch with Jerry Wallace by a search on the Forum...This guy builds a terrific pickup that blows the wheels off...I have a Classic with one of Jerry's pickups installed and the changeover was very simple...The pickup is named TruTone and it really is just that. FRED

------------------
The spirit be with you!
If it aint got a steel, it aint real

John S. King

Mentor, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2003 5:21 am    

Fred, Thanks for your help, I will definitely look into that possibility

------------------
John

John S. King

Mentor, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2003 6:20 pm    

Bob, You can close this one. Thanks for everones help.

------------------
John

Michael Brebes

Northridge CA
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2003 11:32 am    

Sounds like you've got the old single coil pickup. I replaced one with a Lawrence 710 and had very good results. The only problem is that the 710 is the same size as the later SuperSustain pickups and I had to route the hole bigger to make room for it. I don't know if there is a replacement pickup that is available to fit in the existing slot.

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2003 12:38 pm    

Sierra is now allowing owners of other brands of guitars to retrofit their instruments with their interchangable pickup system. Of course, not all guitars can accomodare it, but yours can. I suggest you do this, and then you will be able to choose from a wide variety of pickups and change them at will.