The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  spray silicon instead of oil??
Jeremy Brownlow

San Marcos, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2003 9:24 am    

What are the advantages or disadvantages to using spray silcon on the changer etc. instead of oil?
Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.
thanks,
JB

Bobby Bowman

Cypress, Texas, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2003 10:25 am    

Jeremy,
There are different views and opinions about this and I guess they all have their valid points. But, as a repairman and one who works on a lot of different guitars in various stages of wear and condition, I really think this is one of those "less is better" things. I don't care for silicone based lubricants at all,,,anywhere on the guitar,,,I prefer teflon base lubs and very little of that. IMHO a quality light oil is better than silicon. Most guitars that come in for rework or repair have way, way, too much oil in and on them. Clean and dry is usually best. Lub is fine when and while it is new and fresh, but after a short period of time it becomes more of a detrement than a help. It attracts dust and such and soon becomes a laddened grime.
BB

------------------
If you play 'em, play 'em good!
If you build 'em, build 'em good!

Rex Thomas

Thompson's Station, TN
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2003 1:28 pm    

Spray silicon instead of oil?
My opinion; NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

[This message was edited by Rex Thomas on 15 February 2003 at 01:30 PM.]

Joseph V. Sapp

eastern shore, Md.
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2003 5:11 pm    

just my opinion, but any type of oil will collect dust, gum up and eventually cause more problems than you had to begin with. I myself use a product called Tri-Flow, its a tefflon spray which I use quite spareingly. not just on the changer but on the rollers as well. Silicon,,,well read whats in the product that your using, I've known players that swear using WD-40, but if you read the small print, its a karosine base, and that cant be good period !!!! just my two cents worth but I'd stay away from any oil. IMHO

Joe

Derby SD-10 4X5 Nashville 400 Fender twin
Profex ll Lexicon MPX 100

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2003 6:40 pm    

I wouldn't recommend any kind of "spray" oil! Even with those little "spray tubes", it's just too hard to control, and goes just about everywhere. Silicones do have advantages in temperature extremes, as well as being safer in medical and food-service machinery, but I don't think they have any real advantages in our application. They're generally more expensive, too.

A good, light, machine oil (like sewing-machine, or gun oil) is hard to beat.

[This message was edited by Donny Hinson on 15 February 2003 at 06:41 PM.]

Gino Iorfida

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2003 6:12 am    

Just say no to silicone..... I don't know if your guitar is a mica or lacquer finish, but the use of any silicone, if it's a lacquer guitar etc WILL find it's way to the wood, and if there ever is any reason to do any finish repair, the lacquer and seal3ers will not stick at all... not sure if/how it will affect the glues used if the mica will ever need relaminated, but I wouldnt want to take the chance... not with the amount of GOOD, NON Silicone lubes out there...

Glenn Austin

Montreal, Canada
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2003 10:33 am    

I just finished rebuilding my 79 Push Pull Emmons and what I did was use the silicone spray on the undercarriage and Singer sewing machine oil on the changer itself. The Silicone spray contains no oil whatsoever and dries in seconds. It will not attract dust or dirt, so the bottom of the guitar stays clean. It's what you would use to spray on the tracks of a patio door or a window so that it opens easier. Very slippery stuff, but I wouldn't use it on the changer.