The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Strobo-Flip replacement tuner $119
Rick Barnhart

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2013 1:34 pm    

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2013 2:31 pm    

Thanks for the heads up Rick. Will be fun to compare with the Sonic Research Turbo Tuner!

It's also up on the Peterson web site now:

http://www.petersontuners.com/index.cfm?category=197

User manual in pdf form is there and it does support multiple settings for the same note and offers USB programming. They have confirmed the $119.99 street price as well.

Greg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Dickie Whitley

Post  Posted 24 Jan 2013 5:27 pm    

...any timetable on when it'll be available for purchase?

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2013 5:46 pm    

I think the value of Stroboflips just tanked to well below $100 and my just purchased Sonic Research Turbo Tuner needs a lower price and a USB port. Kudos to Peterson for offering great value! Loving the bright single row LED strobe on the Turbo and standard 9 vdc supply though. The newPeterson does go up a bit in price if you add the power supply.

Greg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

David Hartley

Post  Posted 14 Feb 2013 5:12 am     Hi Rick

Are these going to be available at the TSGA in March?

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2013 7:06 am    

Returned my ST-122A Turbo Tuner for a full refund including shipping. It was a nice product with a bright display but lacked the memory capacity and USB port of the HD. Plus it was a lot more money!

Greg

rodger_mcbride

Minnesota
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2013 1:42 pm     Good news for steelers

I got an 1st run production unit a few days ago.

A little bigger than I thought it was going to be, but a great size, maybe a 2/3 of the length of the open Flip and just as wide and thick.

A big easy to read screen. the two rows of strobe seem to lock in more accurately and doesn't drift or jump like the the old Flip fourth row always did. The octaves of the notes are shown, and the same note can be programmed to different offsets in 7 octaves. Excellent dampening and note capture on everything I tried it with including a Hindustani guitar with 11 sympathetic strings (5th octave) to the lowest BooWah G# (1st octave) on a Universal pedal steel.

Kind of a rubberized armored feel to it, but I think it's all plastic. Beefy though, not cheap.

Handy little folding stand built in to put it upright.

The built in speaker works for both a specified note and offset in manual mode and for the metronome function. It also outputs it to a PA. The built in mic seems pretty sensitive and the contact clip with that came with the StroboFlip plugs right in.

Great battery life and a bright display, big enough to read on the floor.

No noise or degradation of the sound of the guitar in the pass through. Quiet with usb power too.

Menus and sweeteners are easy to get to and the Newman pedal steel offsets, including pedal and knee lever offsets are burned in the memory. Also includes new C6 and A6 lap steel sweeteners.

With the web app to program it, it should be easy to modify it to your hearts content and you can eliminate the sweeteners you don't use. And with the wheel control its easy to add presets that include your preferred sweeteners, transpositions, etc and not have to scroll through a bunch you don't use to get to the one you want. Great for multiple instruments.

However, the web app isn't quite finished and won't download your programming to the tuner yet. Sue from Peterson says in a couple of weeks, by the time they get their next run, it will be working. That said, if you use the built in sweeteners, it works really well and is the easily the best tuner I've used. Once the web app is fully implemented, the updates and enhancements from Peterson are sure to be spectacular. The metronome functionality is phenomenal, with more capabilities to modify the beats, counterpoints and time than anything I've seen in a portable device.

rodger

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2013 7:31 am    

Also power is via USB to 5v lithium battery or by any 5v mini(micro?)-usb connector as found in phone chargers- the one for my Droid worked flawlessly. $119 is MAP pricing- it lists for about $150 and the mounting hardware (swivel and bracketing) is additional. It comes with more presets than you can shake a stick at and care has been taken to see that steelers are well represented in that it has about a dozen steel presets including the ability to to set same notes of different octaves differently (ie.- 4th string E and 8th string E notes can be set differently) if so desired.