The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  ? on Fender Champion lapsteel
Jay L. Taylor

Greer SC 29651
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2000 4:40 am    

I an considering buying one of these guitars in excellent condition. I would appreciate any information such as years this guitar was produced, the guitars worth, etc. Thanks, Jay

Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2000 8:25 am    

According to Gruhn's Guide to Vintage Guitars, the Fender Champion was produced between 1949 and 1955. Most are yellowish pearloid, but some are blue (the blue might have faded to a greenish color).
These lap steels have a sound that to me resembles the Fender Telecasters of the same period.
The most common problem on these guitars is crumbled tuning buttons - the plastic used for the tuner buttons did not hold up well. Fortunately replacement tuners are easily available.
It's worth whatever you pay for it; I see them going for between $150 and $500 depending on condition and where it's being sold.

------------------
Brad's Page of Steel:
www.well.com/~wellvis/steel.html
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars

Sur Singh

Mass
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2000 8:31 am    

Are these champs "Student Guitars"? There is another Fender guitar called Champ, is that different or the same as Champion? I think I might have read in a Fender book that Champion name was changed to Champ due to some copyright issue or something. While we are on Fenders, is an Organ-Button a coveted instrument? What is roughly a good price for it?

Thanks.
-Surinder Singh

[This message was edited by Surinder Singh on 11 August 2000 at 09:31 AM.]

Lew Collins

Boulder, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2000 6:11 am    

These are great guitars if you like Telecasters! I don't play my Champion to often anymore...it's just so bright sounding. I like my bakelite Rick alot more...sweeter and warmer and rounder sounding. But the Champions are great little guitars for soloing through a little tweed Fender amp...sounds alot like the lead pickup on a great old Tele or Broadcaster.