The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  b7th?
Dave Birkett

Oxnard, CA, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2003 10:43 am    

Is it possible to find a 7bth harmonic? If not, what is the most effective "route" to follow? I'm particularly interested in tuning the G notes on an E9 tuning. Right now, I'm just finding a position where an Emin and an A7 both sound tolerable. Thanks.

[This message was edited by Dave Birkett on 27 January 2003 at 10:47 AM.]

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2003 11:20 am    

You can chime a "E" note on the 12th fret and Chime the "G" note with it on the 7th fret and that will give you a root and 4th tone harmony...and those are easy to hear to tune together.
Ricky

C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2003 12:02 pm    

I am assuming you are talking about the G note on the 6th string when one "splits" using the B pedal and the knee lever that lowers the G# to F#.

I tune this so it make the A7th chord sound right to my ears. This means the Emin sounds flat (G note) in terms of JI. But to me this is the better way to do it favoring the 7th sound rather than the minor sound.

Soon, I will be adding another knee lever; which will lower all the G#'s to G on my U-12. These WILL be tuned for the pretty Eminor referencing JI. And I will probably harmonic tune these G notes like Ricky suggests.

The way I tune harmonically for the G note on A7th (referencing ET) is to FIRST get the 9th string D note harmonically tuned to the A note (B pedal down). By harmonics at the 12th and 19th frets, strings 6 and 9.

THEN, use that D note to harmonically tune the G note. I do this at the 19th and 24th frets, strings 6 and 9 respectively.

Good luck, and God bless you,

carl

Dave Birkett

Oxnard, CA, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2003 1:22 pm    

Thanks, guys. Carl, you're right. I play A7 w/pedals down all the time and rarely use the pedals-up position Em; so getting the G from the D sounds like the trick.