The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  The state of country music... What's your take on this?
Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2013 3:49 pm    

I opened for this guy twice. Another marketing pretty boy karoake singer. Does anyone remember Garth Brooks or care who he was? Merele Haggard is STILL selling CD's and touring after 50 years. Ray Price also. The difference is their music is CLASSIC country and the others are THROW AWAY Rock. People will be buying Merle Haggard music 50 years from now while Blake Shelton will be forgotten in 5 years. Rock music called country. It's B.S.! Keep it up folks. It's starting to make a difference.

Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2013 4:01 pm    

Most rock is pretty moribund-except for rockabilly.They love that stuff over on the Gretsch forum and there are a great many Youtubes posted there of members' bands absolutely nailing the look and the sound of six decades ago.If Blake is having a hard time charting,maybe he should consider doing a rockabilly set.

Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2013 4:34 pm    

The irony is that I am buying Wynn Stewart music right now. As far as real country music goes he couldn't carry Wynn Stewart's microphone. I know others who are also buying Wynn Stewarts music.

David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2013 5:42 pm    

Can I really hear acid rock on the radio? Where? Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmiOBYJy2vk

If my radio would play that I'd listen all day.

Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2013 7:44 pm    

Dave Grafe, you've got it exactly. Brilliant analysis. Blake Shelton needs to go polish Merle Hagard's shoes. Right now Blake.

Wally Moyers

Lubbock, Texas
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2013 8:06 pm    

http://www.countrymusicislove.com/2013/01/blake-shelton-clarifies-apologizes-for-offensive-remarks-on-twitter.html

Now he apologizes...

Keith Hilton

248 Laurel Road Ozark, Missouri 65721
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2013 8:08 pm    

I wondered what was wrong. I'm going to have to quit that old Bob Wills dance music and learn some Justin Bieber and Taylor Swift songs.

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 24 Jan 2013 9:25 pm    

Well, he's apologized to Price and the rest of his "heroes," but it seems he left the rest of us out. Totally expected from someone whose insincerity is fast approaching legend.

Jerry Humphries

Jasper, AL.
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2013 10:04 pm     Blakey boy

What he said doesn't offend me one bit. What burns me up is back in the peak of real country music being produced in Nashville the big money people from La and NY blew in to town to claim their share of the profits from real country and started gradually to change the face of Nashville. They need to go back where they came from and make any kind of music they want. Leave Nashville to making the kind of music that made Nashville what it is or was known for. That being said i like all kinds of music. Detroit was known for making soultown music. Lets get back to what we had, there was a lot more creativity back then instead of trying to lump or fuse a lot of different styles together. Just my 2 cents worth, now im broke. Muttering

Jim Pitman

Waterbury Ctr. VT 05677 USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2013 10:03 am    

Go the end of that story and reed the lyrics to the new Dale Watson song Blake inspired? What a hoot.

Curt Trisko

St. Paul, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2013 11:10 am    

There's still plenty of newer generation country artists who are really talented at writing and performing songs in the same vein as classic country while also doing songs in the newer style. They're probably the most pissed-off about this controversy. Shelton gets all this attention from classic country fans over what he says while the more authentic country musicians are dying for that amount of attention.

I think Dave Grafe probably best articulated the real source of irritation in this thread. It's not so much that people like Blake Shelton are finding success playing a different style of music, it's that they crown themselves as the rightful heirs of classic country. It's probably over-the-top to talk like country music is something sacred, sort of like the people that get offended when you call pro-wrestling fake. But it means a lot of things to a lot of people and has for the past 75 years.

Michael Hummel

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2013 12:49 pm     A slightly different viewpoint

I've been playing 6-string guitar for 45 years, just about entirely in rock/pop bands. Quite frankly for most of those years I thought country was distasteful, so never really bothered to listen.

About a year ago, I got an invitation to audition with some "country" fellows. I decided to join them and we play mostly "new country" (please don't hate me!) with a few "classic country" tunes thrown in. I've been enjoying it so much I bought my first Pedal Steel (see signature) and I'm about 6 months into the struggle to learn how to play it.

Anyway, my point is that by getting into the country side of things as I have through the "new country" route, I am now interested to listen to the "classic" stuff both to see where country has evolved from, and to learn the pedal steel from the legends that shaped its use.

If it weren't for the "new country" material my current band is playing, this probably would never have happened.

(hoping I don't get heaved off the forum for my frank admission!)

Smile
Mike

LJ Eiffert

California, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2013 1:54 pm    

Well,Let's see how long it takes before Reba & the all power house group that we helped make in like Bob Romero and that Nashville come together group to make big money for who? and what? over 30 years before who are running most of these young people behind all of this change the format from how they got here in Country Music. As the God Father of Southern California Country Music I am deeply sorry for the real fathers who made all this open road to being in a star that is so out of line it ain't funny anymore. Winking Uncle Leo J.Eiffert,Jr.PS: Now we all got change.

Greg Stasny

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2013 1:55 pm    

Mike,
Besides where country has evolved from, and the steel guitar legends that helped shape it, there is a third avenue......us lucky folks down here in TX still have access to bands and their music, still performing country in the traditional/classic manner.
And they are not all "old guys (or gals)"..Landon Dodd, Jake Hooker, Justin Trevino, Bobby Flores, Jody Nix, Billy Mata, Amber Digby, and more all entertain us with plenty of steel and fiddle, along with fine vocals. Check them out!

Kevin Lichtsinn

Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2013 3:41 pm    

I guess I am an "old fart". My kids are "young farts". We all like the country music that Blake evidentally is putting down, and me and my family. Sorry, Blake, you lose. I don't buy your crap and never will. Laughing

Steven Finley

California, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2013 5:58 pm    

The way I see it is if your REAL COUNTRY and over
25, you do not have any chance of makeing it big
any more.
After all look at the most of us real country
music players the music establishment has kicked
in the gudder and spat uppon,its to bad,its sad
but so true.

Janice Brooks

Pleasant Gap Pa
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2013 6:25 pm    

Into my 6th year I'm still pushing real stuff at
Bus Of Real Country.

Charles Davidson

Phenix City Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2013 7:54 pm    

Hey Mr. BS.some of the old farts as you call them such as Hank Sr.,Marty,Earnest,Hank Snow,The Carters,Jimmy Dean,Kitty,etc are STILL known after 40,50,60,years.You POS do you think 50 or 60 years from now your music will be in demand ? Don't think so hoss.YOU BETCHA,DYK?BC.

Cal Sharp

the farm in Kornfield Kounty, TN
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2013 12:15 am    

My phone hasn't rung all day, so I guess that's BS not calling me for a gig. I've had the honor and pleasure of working with a bunch of old farts and jackasses, like Faron, Price, Tubb and Tater. Sorry BS, whatever it is you do is crap compared to that stuff, so keep on not calling.
Custom Made Covers for Steel Guitars & Amps at Sharp Covers Nashville

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2013 7:32 am    

Well, although I am not a fan of BS..what he did was tell the truth.

I'm gonna play devils advocate...

Read the article..he didn't call the artists old farts,he is referring to the buying public...Country Music OLD fans..like the title says...FANS not Artists...

He didn't flame the artists, he flamed the buying public...if he didn't call them old farts or J Asses, nobody would have even payed attention...

Whats the difference between people calling him a zero talent New Country Artist or him calling others old farts ? The fact of the matter is nobody is buying old traditional music, not even us...and that's what he is saying... Maybe he is sick and tired of being told he has "No talent " by the old farts ...while he is selling millions of records ?

Why is it ok for many of us to call him out on New Country but it's not ok for him to call us old farts ? He didn't call Ray Price an old fart, or Merle, he's calling the people who don't buy ANY music old farts...and he is right...

When was the last time any of you a who may dislike NEW Country Music , purchased a new Ray Price CD or even a new Merle CD ? How about a Stonewall Jackson CD ? That's what he is talking about... Buy any Jim Ed Brown CD's lately ?

Those old traditional CD's, give me a break, they pulled all the Steel or anything that may connect them to Country music out and replaced it with string and horn sections...now they are complaining about new vs old country ? Hello..earth to McFly...They tried to go crossover by removing Steel guitars., it didn't work... that ain't on BS...

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Clyde Mattocks

Kinston, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2013 8:03 am    

Tony, I understand your point of view completely as it applies to record sales. The part that got me was "Nobody wants to HEAR Grandpa's music". I play it about four nights a week to somebody and I'm sure you do , too. No, we're not selling out arenas, but then again in the golden era, country music was not the dominant form.

In my area, there are several bands, fronted by guys in their twenties who are doing Waylon, Buck, Vern and George Jones to young crowds. Grandpa was on to something when this music was born. I submit that bluegrass thrives and flourishes and is completely recognizable as the same form that Bill Monroe created seventy years ago.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2013 8:21 am    

Clyde, we are in complete agreement, but Blake Shelton is referring to record sales...

I am playing out a good bit, we don't play as much Country as we used to, things are changing again...traditional Country is still strong in the Halls and Lodges but not so much in the clubs, those gigs are really more middle of the road...I call it Haggard to Hendrix..Jones to Stones...a little bit of everything...I only use the Pedal Steel on the 5 piece gigs, otherwise it is the 6 string Lap or Dobro...with the trio or 4 piece gigs...

I need to come visit you when I am up in Raleigh, I need to come to one of your gigs and say hi..and soon !

Plus I can testify..being a somewhat OLDER fart, I have not bought ANY CD's in a very long time.... Sad

BS is talking about me !

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Joe Miraglia

Jamestown N.Y.
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2013 10:09 am    

Tony--I agree with you. Too bad old and new can't mix. The band I am with does one of Blake's songs. If you would like to hear Willow Creek playing one of his songs click below.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGlZcOCg2Vk

Ken Lang

Simi Valley, Ca
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2013 10:28 am    

The young people of today do not want what the old people like.
That's the way it's always been. That's the way it was when we were young.

I don't listen to Blake or the young folks, they don't listen to me.

When I was a growing musician, anybody 5 years older was a has been. That's the way with life. Let's let the kids enjoy their music, and we will enjoy ours.

And stop whining about it.

Charles Davidson

Phenix City Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2013 12:01 pm    

Tony, I DON'T agree with you .Why? You must not watch tv very much.Look at all the info-mercials selling the family reunion shows on Dvd of all the greats of REAL country music,and the box sets of CD;S of the same,these ads have been on for years,Someone is buying them or the ads would be gone,and they are NOT cheap,It is absurd and preposterous to insinuate that no one is not buying the REAL country of the 40's and 50's.Long ago I heard a famous songwriter say[If you hear your song as background in your doctors office or as elevator music,then you know you have made it.It's been 60 years since Hank passed on and he's still selling,[Don't believe it] next time you are in a large record[cd] shop see how many cd's he has in there.Now let's jump ahead 60 years,wonder how many will remember Garth Brooks,Tim McGraw,Taylor Swift,Blake Shelton,Luke Bryan,etc.and how well they are selling. The REAL thing lasts a LOOOONG time.but BULL CRAP soon dries up and blows away,YOU BETCHA,DYK?BC.

Last edited by Charles Davidson on 27 Jan 2013 1:00 pm; edited 2 times in total