The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  wierd sound
Joey Gaskins

New Bern, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2003 2:32 pm    

I've recently noticed that on the 12th fret strings 3,4,5,and six give a wierd droning sort of sound. It only happens at the 12th position even with AB pedals down. I just put on a new set of strings and still get this sound. It's the same whether plugged into my amp or not. Any ideas?

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2003 2:36 pm    

Do you let the strings vibrate on both sides of the bar?

Rich Weiss

Woodland Hills, CA, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2003 3:57 pm    

That's your dead spot. It affects some guitars more than others. I've got one on mine, as well.

Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2003 4:09 pm    

If it sounds like an electronic chorus effect you are not totally blocking the strings behind the bar.

Joey Gaskins

New Bern, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2003 6:25 pm    

Joey, You were right on the money. I was using a new seat and while setting directly in front of the 12th fret I was letting the pressure up off the strings while directly in front of me. Thanks.

Bill Crook

Goodlettsville, TN , Spending my kid's inheritance
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2003 2:21 pm    

Joey G....

I have seen that effect used by several players throughtout the years. With a bit of practic,pickin' on the left-hand side of the bar can and will produce some wonderful and unusual sounds. By not muteing the strings and strumming on the LEFT side of the bar,a full bodied coures effects is heard. One dosen't need an amp to hear this effect either.

This effect is most notable at the 12th fret due to 12th fret is 1/2 of the fret-scale. Now we can do it also at the 5th,7th,8th,and others but be careful where you actually pluck/strumm the strings. Example: bar at 5th,Strumm at 3rd. We get a nice "Tinkerbell" effect here. The root note,(because we have the bar at the 5th fret)will not be an "A" tho. It's all harmonics,at every position played except the 12th. There, we get a true "E".

Play with this a bit and you will suprise folks with the unexpected swells and overtones. I must admit.... DON'T try this at a live gig unless you're really good or want to live dangerously. A missed hit here is the mother of all train-wrecks.

Have fun .....

[This message was edited by Bill Crook on 20 January 2003 at 02:23 PM.]