The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  How to clean the covering on your Nash 400
DJ Sillito

Lethbrige, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2003 3:48 pm    

Ever notice how difficult this covering is to make look clean and Shiny? I tried using Armor All tire foam. I had to be careful with it because it is a spray type product. It sure cleaned it up and made it look shiny. It had a little slick feel to it after.
And yes I read the instructions which said only use on tires but I thought I might give it a try. Having gear that is dirty and unkept or abused is a pet peeve of mine.
Is there a good cleaning product out there to clean these coverings? I would hate to use something that may be unsafe. How about cleaning the cloth mesh covering the speaker?.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

------------------
Darren James Sillito
Carter D-10 8P 5K
Nashville 400, ProfexII

Bob Knight

Bowling Green KY
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2003 4:12 pm    

"Scrubbin' Bubbles"

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2003 5:34 pm    

Windex and a soft bristle scrub brush will clean the Tolex vinyl covering. After that, you can wipe it down with a turkish-towel, and then apply any number of silicone spray waxes to get the "shine" back.

Plastic grille cloth can be removed and scrubbed, in similar fashion, but you have to be careful to stay away from the edges, as they will unravel if you scrub them too hard. I wouldnt use the silicones on the grille cloths, though, as it will just build up and attract dust.

Michael T. Hermsmeyer

Branson, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2003 6:17 pm    

Most folks I know use Armor All and a small stiff brush on the tolex. Maybe a hot damp cloth after vaccuming with a brush attachment for the removed grill.

Michael T.

------------------
UTILITY MAN PRODUCTIONS
'73 EMMONS D10 FATBACK, '92 EMMONS D10 LASHLEY LEGRANDE,
'85 DOBRO 60DS, '95 DOBRO F60S,
'95 MELOBAR CUSTOM, 1955 FENDER TRIPLE NECK STRINGMASTER. EVANS, FENDER, PEAVEY,
and MESA BOOGIE Amps.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Dave Birkett

Oxnard, CA, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2003 7:36 pm    

This is a great topic. Maybe Mike Brown could inform us of Peavey's official position if they have one.

David Cobb

Chanute, Kansas, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2003 8:58 pm    

I've used Turtlewax Formula 2001 Tire Foam'n Shine on a filthy Peavey(no offense intended) that I'd purchased used. Just used a rag to work it in. It doesn't seem to attract dust after treatment and looks great. Doesn't leave a glossy finish like Armor-All. Dry it well to prevent rusting of trim.

Danny Naccarato

Burleson, Texas
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2003 10:04 pm    

Believe it or not, an old friend of mine, who has pretty much hung up his playing about 3 years ago, Jim Lindsey, of Ty Herndon, etc. used to take his completely apart. Speaker, chassis, grill, etc. Then, hose it down with a garden hose in the driveway, soap suds and all. Rinse, etc. Then dry. It'd look like knew. I wound up doing that also, a number of times after watching him in disbelief. Really cleans it up. You also get real proficient at tearing 'em apart also

DJ Sillito

Lethbrige, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2003 9:48 am    

Thanks for the replies.

Bob- Is "scrubbin' bubbles" a brand name of a cleaning product?
David - you discovered the tirefoam too. I guess if it works theres no harm to it.

I actually did dissasemble my Nashville when I cleaned it with the tirefoam. I did a thourough job but it took me half the day. A quick application of some type of product would be the way to go.
I guess in the long run any cleaner and a little elbow grease goes a long way.

DJ

Bryan Knox

Gardendale, Alabama...Ya'll come
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2003 11:14 am    

I have found that "Greased Lightning" (usually available at Wal-Mart) does really well on Tolex covering. You might also try a diluted solution of "Oxy Clean" (also avail.@ WallyWorld)for the grill cloth. The oxygen cleaner works wonders on cig. smoked cloth.

------------------
Help prevent juvenile delinquency...teach children to STEEL

Steve Alonzo Walker

Spartanburg,S.C. USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2003 11:28 am    

I agree about the "Greased Lighting" I spray the tolex...wait about five minutes for it to work, and then use my shop vac to suck all the dirty grim away and then use Armorall or Formula 2001 for the shine look applied with a paint brush for an even spread. For the grille cloth, I take it loose from the amp and spray it with the "Greased Lighting", let it foam up and then use my shop vac again to suck all that foam and dirt out. Then apply the Amorall or whatever you want to use to the grille with a paint brush to spread it evenly.

Brian Wetzstein

Billings, MT, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2003 2:40 am    

I have always used glass cleaner and a scrub brush to clean... and armor-all "low gloss" to shine. i like the low gloss better than the regular stuff...

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2003 7:49 am    

Steve.I would have thought that Greased Lighting would be to harsh.Maybe bleach the tolex or even melt the glue and cause it to turn loose from the wood.It sure takes the hide off my hands. Thanks for the tip.Oh BTW.What's good for cleaning speakers cabs etc that are covered in Monkey fur?Ozinite are what ever it's called?--------------bb

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2003 8:10 am    

Moved to 'Electronics' section