The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Emmons Vol. pedal question
Joseph V. Sapp

eastern shore, Md.
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2003 10:23 am    

I play a Derby but use a standard Emmons Vol. Pedal. the pedal attach's to the pedal bar in a standard way. the bottom or heal of the volume pedal rests on the floor. the problem is on carpet,,its fine, but on a hardwood floor, it slides all over the place. is there anything that can be done to keep this from happening ? Its driving me nuts !!!!!! God Bless

Joe

Derby SD-10 4x5 Nashville 400 Fender twin
lexicon MPX 100 profex ll (other secret toys)

Tony Orth

Evansville, Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2003 10:42 am    

I use a piece of Duct tape, rolled back against itself (sticky side out), and stick it to the floor under the pedal. Cheap and works great.

I'm interested to see if anyone else has a better idea.

Tony

C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2003 11:17 am    

This is NOT a small thing. Many of us have experienced it. And it should NEVER have been.

Upon thinking about it, the following can be added to what Tony said:

1. Dip the rounded part of that "carriage bolt" into the stuff they use on long nose pliers' and cutters' handles. Available from electronic stores and some hardware stores.

2. Replace the carriage bolt with a standard bolt head type; and glue some rubber, rough felt or cork on the flat side of the bolt.

3. Use a standard bolt, cut the head off of it and purchase a standard "door stop" from a home center. Remove the rubber tip, and glue it on to one end of the thread shaft.

I am sure, you will receive more inovative suggestions than these.

God bless you in your quests,

carl

Gord Cole

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2003 1:27 pm    

At the hardware store you will find small rolls of an open-weaved "netting like " material covered in a no-skid rubber . It's for use under small floor mats in the house. You just use scissors to cut a piece the size of your pedal and put it on the floor under the pedal. I carry some around with me in my kit too. Works for me!
Regards. Gord

SCOTT TYLER

NEWINGTON,CONN.,U.S.A.
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2003 1:41 pm    

Take the carriage bolt to your local Sears Hardware store and get a small rubber foot to fit over it snugly. Then re-adjust the depth of the carriage bolt in the pedal for the thickness of the rubber foot. I've had the same one on there for years.....

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2003 1:53 pm    

I'd recommend replacing the carriage bolt with a step-bolt. The step-bolt has a head which is larger and not as rounded as a carriage bolt. Then, I'd clean the bolt head good with alcohol or lighter fluid, and then coat the head of the bolt with a thin layer of silicone rubber, known as "RTV" (comes in a small tube like toothpaste). The product is carried by most hardware and home-supply stores. RTV-108 silicone rubber adhesive/sealant (by G.E.), works real well, and really stops the slipping. It's also great to put a dab of this stuff on each bottom corner of your cutting-boards. It stops them from sliding all over the counter when you're trying to cut something.

Also, a thin coating on the bottom of the rubber feet on your guitar legs works real well too! (Keeps it from "walking" when you're using those knee levers.) Remember to clean the surface well, and let the silicone dry for at least 24hrs before use.

Michael T. Hermsmeyer

Branson, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2003 7:43 pm    

Or you can carry a small rug with you, or even a piece of that rubber type shelf liner. I bought a rug years ago when I was rehearsing at an artists home where she had a very deep pile carpet. It was so deep that the pedals of my push pull were sinking into the carpet and it was very difficult to play. Thought I was in quicksand. I bought a small rug, 3'x4' I think, and it made it possible to play steel in her house. It also works on those slick floors. It doesn't take up much room in the truck, I just keep it rolled up in there. It could also keep your steel seat legs from scratching that nice hardwood floor as well.
Thanks, God Bless,
Michael T.

------------------
UTILITY MAN PRODUCTIONS
'73 EMMONS D10 FATBACK, '92 EMMONS D10 LASHLEY LEGRANDE,
'85 DOBRO 60DS, '95 DOBRO F60S,
'95 MELOBAR CUSTOM, 1955 FENDER TRIPLE NECK STRINGMASTER. EVANS, FENDER, PEAVEY,
and MESA BOOGIE Amps.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Martin Weenick

Lecanto, FL, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2003 2:09 am    

Scottys sells the rubber feet for Emmons pedals. About $ 2.00

------------------

Martin W. Emmons LG III 3/5 Peavy 1000

Ernie Renn

Brainerd, Minnesota USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2003 3:47 am    

Martin;
I believe the rubber feet Scotty sells are for the bottom of the angle adjustment thumbscrews. Pitch if you will. (Not Tonal pitch... Angle pitch. )

------------------
My best,
Ernie

The Official Buddy Emmons Website
www.buddyemmons.com

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2003 4:20 am    

A lot of good suggestions here and looks like most of them will work. Another solution is to go to a boat dealership and buy a little bit of self stick non-skid rubber tape. It is made to stick on boats so you don't fall when getting in an out. I just bought some and am going to put it on my pedals, since my foot has been slipping off occasionaly. If you replace the carriage bolt with an elevator bolt, then some sort of non-slip stuff on the head of it, your problems should be over. An elevator bolt has a large flat, probably 1" or 1 1/4" in diameter head. This would give you a large surface of traction. You can get these at Home Depot, Lowes, etc. They are in the little drawers where they have the speciality hardward.

Joseph V. Sapp

eastern shore, Md.
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2003 8:36 am    

Thanks folks for all the suggestions. isn't this forum GREAT !!!!!! something as a small problem to some, was solved in a just a few posts. Just cant say enough good about this place. this will be my weekend project. I'll try the small rubber foot thing first, (if I can find one). and if I cant,,,go on from that point. y'all gave me some fantastic ideas, which I never thought of. but then at my age,,,thats understandable. LOL.... God Bless

Joe

Derby SD-10 4x5 Nashville 400 fender twin
Profex ll Lexicon MPX 100 (other secret toys)