The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  'Time for new strings' indicators?
Bruno Rasmussen

Svendborg, Denmark
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2003 5:32 pm    

How often do you replace the strings on your PSG? Which are the indicators for you, that new strings are needed? Declining sound quality is obviously one, but how does for example the continuous stress on the strings from pedals and knee levers, affects the condition and ability of the strings for being in tune? Are there any symptoms to be aware of? What are your experiences?
With a six-string guitar I know how to detect strings that need to be replaced - before they are worn-out. With PSG I have limited knowledge about this subject.

This is more a question of maintaining sound quality and ability for playing in tune, than to anticipate string breakage.

------------------

Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2003 5:51 pm    

Check your tuning with a tuner at the 7th and 12th frets. If it doesn't fret true it's time for new strings.

Sometimes the 3rd will develop a slightly fuzzy, zinnnnng sound -- just before it breaks. That's another sign.

Any trace of rust or pitting is another thing to look for.

And, obviously, if they just start sounding bad. They don't have to be worn out to sound bad.

------------------
Larry Bell - email: larry@larrybell.org - gigs - Home Page
2000 Fessenden S-12 8x8, 1969 Emmons S-12 6x6, 1971 Dobro

C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2003 7:13 pm    

I have heard that PF changes his strings anywhere from onest a month, to once a week to once a session to onest a day. In all truthfulness, I have NOT a clue how often he changes his strings. I have never heard him say, And I am positive Theresa aint gonna tell me either Neither!

Also, I am sure what I have heard is pure "talkin off the top of one's head" So you know what I did when I heeerd it. It went in one year and............!!"

Changing strings is like opinions. It is sooo personalized. I had a friend once that said he loved the sound he got best "JUST before he needed to change strings". I have another friend that his strings looks like PF never changes his. Because they always look like he just got dun ado-un it!! It beet all I evah did see.

I had another friend whose strangs would qualify for the local junk yard and pass the most ardent of "rust" tests!! Yesiree bobweiser, his .011 strang was now an .060!! What with them reddishbrown barnacles all over it.

I hate to change strangs worse than takin "black draught"* medicine dry!!! And they show it too. Fortunately I have a changer that does not break strings; so the entire price of the Guitar was worth that alone

Seriously, it depends on YOU. What suits you should be the rule. If the guitar plays and sounds like you want it to, leave 'em on there! If it doesn't, just maybe ya need to change them sapsuckers.

And may the Good lord be with you when ya do it!

Too!!

carl

* For those of you who do not know what "Black Draught" medicine is, you can get some kindly of an ideee, if'n ya tuk some metal filins from a masheene shop floor, pored 'em into a bucket a mercury and then packaged it as the cure for evah thang that evah would go wrong widya!

Hey Theresa, did yo mama evah make you and dear brother Paul take that mess when yu us a growun up? Huh? And then say,

"It us gud fer whut ails ya"

[This message was edited by C Dixon on 13 January 2003 at 07:15 PM.]

Reggie Duncan

Mississippi
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2003 8:41 pm    

When the 3rd develops a slightly fuzzy, zinnnnng sound, I change it, along with 4 and 5. I change 1 and 6 every other time. I change 2 and the wound strings less often, about every other month.

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2003 8:42 pm    

When I can't get the guitar to sound in tune, even though the tuner says that it's in tune, I figure it's time to change strings. Those wierd overtones just drive me nuts.

------------------
Bobby Lee - email: quasar@b0b.com - gigs - CDs
Sierra Session 12 (E9), Williams 400X (Emaj9, D6), Sierra Olympic 12 (F Diatonic), Sierra Laptop 8 (D13), Fender Stringmaster (E13, A6), Roland Handsonic

Dan Tyack

Olympia, WA USA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2003 8:45 pm    

Once every two weeks, or when I get intonation problems, whichever comes first....

------------------
www.tyack.com

nick allen

France
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2003 11:55 pm    

Further to what Carl wrote... (before the medicine diversion ) http://www.b0b.com/infoedu/steelstr.htm

P Gleespen

Toledo, OH USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2003 7:41 am    

After a string breaks, I know it was definitely time to change that string a few minutes ago.

Chick Donner

North Ridgeville, OH USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2003 2:07 pm    

When they break, or they're so rusty that blood poisoning or tetanus is a very real concern.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2003 2:20 pm    

Taking it a step further than Bobby Lee--if you have a good stable guitar but find yourself chasing after the pedal tuning at the changer end--constantly tweeking the nylon tuners when the guitar usually holds up well---there can be other causes for this but I'll consider the age of the string in question before doing anything else.

And yes, a string in two pieces that just recently was only one......while it may seem like your lucky day, assets multiplying and all, it is probably saying 'change me please'.

DroopyPawn

Fox, OK, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2003 5:18 pm    

So far on my Sierra (that I've had for a year now) about once every year.
gs

------------------

John Kavanagh

Kentville, Nova Scotia, Canada * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2003 9:48 am    

Well, I think it's like the kitty litter - it's time to change it as soon as you start looking forward to having done it.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2003 11:41 am    

I'm with Carl on this one - I have a passionate hatred of changing strings (and stopping for gas, but that's another matter)!

I hate the fiddling around, the search afterwards for all the off-cuts, the fact that my guitar has (temporarily) no strings on it - and the fact that my string-winder keeps falling apart. However, I'm always pleased when I've done it!

I change E9 strings once a week if I'm doing an eight-show schedule (3rd and 5th every four shows - never again do I want to lose my 'B' string during a show!), and C6 far less frequently (every six to eight weeks).

I remember Buddy saying that he changed the unwound strings pretty often, but held on to the wound ones for a while....

Speaking of that, it's about that time, I think - now, where did I put the two halves of my string-winder.....?

------------------
Roger Rettig

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2003 2:17 pm    

I've heard that you need to change strings at least every six months. Brett Day, Emmons S-10, Morrell lap steel
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger