The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  WHO is JERRY BYRD's Number #1 Fan?
Garry Vanderlinde

CA
Post  Posted 27 May 2010 10:23 pm    

Byrd is God Cool

Buddy Emmons is Jesus Cool Cool

Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2012 10:37 am    

...and Ray Montee is his prophet. Very Happy

Keep it up, Ray. Winking Cool

Don Kona Woods

Hawaiian Kama'aina
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2012 11:23 pm    

Quote:
Byrd is God Cool

Buddy Emmons is Jesus Cool Cool

No, they are both idols!

Matthew Dawson

Portland Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2012 1:18 am    

I can't claim to be his #1 fan, but I did practically go into convulsions yesterday trying to explain to my "Spanish" guitar playing friends how JB had the greatest tone and musicality in the history of the electric guitar. The Electric Spanish guitar is just a fad that will pass.....

Tom Snook

Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2012 6:17 am    

I seem to remember getting a fair amount of scolding for writing,Don Helms is God a few years ago.Some folks made me feel kind of unwelcome.I meant no disrespect to any one,especially GOD!Or Don Helms for that matter.

c c johnson

killeen,tx usa * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2012 12:03 pm    

I think all of us are forgeting Al Stotler, who Jerry always considered to be his #1 fan. Keep your thumb pick hot. cc

David Nelson

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2012 3:02 pm    

More than 13 years of research were necessary, but I am now able to say, unequivocally, and without possibility of contradiction, that I am the #1 Jerry Byrd fan in my household.

Alan Brookes

Post  Posted 25 Dec 2012 5:00 pm    

David Nelson wrote:
...I am the #1 Jerry Byrd fan in my household.

I'm the only one in my household who's ever even heard of Jerry Byrd. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Rick Collins

Claremont , CA USA
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2012 5:44 pm    

Who is Jerry Byrd's #1 fan?

Well, let me put it this way:
I have a hand-written personal letter from him he sent to me from Honolulu.
I have it framed on my music-room wall.
"Tiare No Tahiti" (yes, that one). I can play it just like he does (yes, including the harmonics). Smile

Now, do you really want to claim you are a Jerry Byrd fan __ at all? Evil or Very Mad Razz

Clyde Mattocks

Kinston, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2012 10:44 pm    

I don't lay claim to a rating, but I was taught by Kenny Dail, I have several bakelite Ricks, a Jerry Byrd Rick console, a couple of handwritten letters from Jerry. I have sat in the studio to watch the Two Guitars show with Jerry & Chet and had Jerry dedicate Limehouse Blues to me. I have been to Jerry's house in Nashville with the late Jack Ward, one of his personal friends and Jerry fixed sandwiches and drinks for us before sitting crosslegged on his living room floor and giving us a private concert. Oh yeah, I have a bunch of Mercury 78's as well as quite a few albums and records he played on by other artists. Due to being close friends with Jimmy Capps, I have been priviledged over the years to watch sessions and broadcasts which Jerry was on and interact with him. After he moved to Hawaii, I only had two correspondences with him, but I treasure every moment of this genius' music I have experienced.

Rick Collins

Claremont , CA USA
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2012 8:20 am    

Clyde, you may just be Jerry's #1 fan.
At least I'm on the fans list __ I think. Laughing

Will there be another to eclipse Jerry Byrd?
...probably not in our lifetime.

Chris Templeton

The Green Mountain State
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2012 9:50 pm    

When I took lessons from Jerry at Harry's Music Store, he never played steel, only rythm guitar.
He once came to Maui to hear my older pal, Ray Knapp play. Ray asked me to sit in. I had traveled from Kauai and I was petrified when I sat in and Jerry was in the audience. Stone cold petrified. Jerry's bar control was unbelievable. Him listen to me?
The thing I love about steel without pedals is you can't BS on the A&B pedals until the next idea comes along.
Go to any pedal steel gathering and you mostly hear players doing this. That's one of th reasons I love Buddy's playing so much, because he doesn't B.S..
Jerry called pedal players, "pedal pushers".
Jerry's #1 Fan? from my perspective (in no order), Ray Montee, Scotty, Senor Ely & Kaleo, Jerry's wife.

Paul Seager

Augsburg, Germany
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2012 9:21 am    

I have a confession. I am not a Jerry Byrd fan! Now I realise that to many or most on the SGF, this amounts to a statement akin to blasphemy (particularly to the "JB is God" fan-club Smile ) and I am not saying that I couldn't become a JB fan, heck we even share the same birhtday ... it's just that I have no idea where to start with him.

Most of the YouTube videos that I've seen are a little too saccharine for my taste and until I saw Mike Neer playing Slippery Elm, I might never have taken any further interest in JB at all.

So, here is a plea to all you #1 fans: Convert me! If there is one JB album / colleciton that I should pursue and play until thin, which is it?

\ Paul

Oh and just for the record, I'd always thought Ray Montee was the #1 JB fan. First time I typed "Jerry Byrd" into Google, I arrived at Ray's site and its been bookmarked ever since.

Bayern Hawaiians: https://www.youtube.com/@diebayernhawaiians3062
Other stuff: https://www.youtube.com/@paulseager3796/videos

Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2012 11:04 am     Not a Jerry Byrd fan, I'm simply amazed............

From Jerry's earliest recordings, each one has become a progression of sophistication in its own right.

Each song can become an extremely valuable lesson for learning how to play the steel guitar. I know of no single record that could provide all you're commenting about.

I'd go for a listen of "DROWSY WATERS"..... It was an early recording. Then, 'Steelin' the Blues" with Rex Allen on vocal. Don't listen to the 'music' but rather, to the many different bar movements and the seamless tonal changes throughout each song. No one has ever matched his skillful technique, not eve pedal players.

Jerry seldom played the same lick or 'trick' in any one song and in fact, you'd be hard pressed to hear the same lick in any other song. He was very creative, something seriously lacking in much of today's music.

Speedy West, Johnnie Siebert, Don Davis, Billy Robinson and countless others credit JERRY BYRD for their deep seated interest in steel guitar.

Just LISTEN to JERRY BYRD. Sooner or later, you're going to ask yourself: "How'd he do that?" Then, you'l be hooked.

James Trout

Louisville, KY
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2013 11:30 am     Jerry Byrd Fan

Reading through these posts cracks me up. However, what I'm a fan of is anyone passionate enough about lap steel to run a website, share a picture or video, tell me a story, post tab, or just giving me your honest opinion relating to lap steel (in all of its forms). To b0b for the forum, Brad as the moderator, and everyone who posts - I'm your fans - keep up the good work!!!

David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2013 11:36 am    

Jerry Garcia?

Mike Anderson

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2013 3:13 pm    

Um, why Garcia? From JB's biography it seems Garcia had contacted him and wanted lessons, but wasn't willing to make the move to Hawaii. Maybe there's a joke here I'm missing. Smile

David Nelson

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2013 4:36 pm    

I, too, must be missing something. Sorry. I thought this whole topic was a joke.

Edward Meisse

Santa Rosa, California, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2013 2:59 pm    

For the most part, I'm not a big fan of Jerry's music. But I am in awe of his technique! That guy was THE MASTER of technique. I've read his instruction book. So I know how he did it. But I can't figure out how he did it......if you know what I mean. Confused

Chris Lucker

Los Angeles, California USA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2013 11:12 am    

I will never forget that one handed catch Jerry Byrd made in Superbowl XXIII.

Nate Hofer

Overland Park, Kansas
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2013 5:57 am    

I'm Ray Montee's number one fan. Anyone care to challenge me? Wink

Alan Brookes

Post  Posted 14 Jan 2013 8:21 am    

Solomon Hofer wrote:
I'm Ray Montee's number one fan. Anyone care to challenge me? Wink

I thought I was. Cool

Ian Ufton

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2013 9:59 pm    

I knew J B --- backed him up on 2 [ ?] occasions -- considered him a friend --- had long discussions with him about music , steel guitar etc. --- the world misses him , Im miss him --- a brilliant musician , once called me his " soulmate ' --- I have countless personal letters which I treasure to this day --- and was one of the the priveledged few who had access to his home phone # ,
R I P Jerry
ps I know that he believed in " living again -- coming back as another person " -- i sure hope he was right !
Ian K.

Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2013 5:43 pm     You're one of the greatest....................

Ian, you play one fabulous rhythm guitar!
Few can even begin to compete with you. I've enjoyed your playing, especially with JERRY BYRD.

Ian Ufton

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2013 9:10 pm    

You are too kind -- but I appreciate the comment .I believe that you and Scotty are the #1 J.B. fans --- you both promoted his music tirelessly , thnx for all your efforts ,
truly , Ian K.
ps if you give me your address, i will send you a copy of my CD --- sample tracks on my website , hawaiianufton.com

pps hope to " run into you " once more before we join Jerry .