The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Bar Size -- Does it Matter?
Alan Kirk

Paso Robles, CA, USA
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2002 12:04 pm    

I play a U12 and I have one of the longer "12-string" bars, but I'm not sure it's the handiest thing to use. It seems a smaller bar might be easier to manage.

Do any of you guys out there playing 12 strings use a 10-string bar?

------------------

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2002 12:08 pm    

I play a D-12 and used 10 string bars for 30 years. Recently I've been using 12 string bars, but I think for slants and general control, a 10 string bar works better. Unless your hands are huge, the only reason I can think of for a 12 string bar is if there is a string span that you absolutely can't reach with a 10 string bar.

Gary Steele

Columbus, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2002 5:00 pm    

Jim, I agree with you. My big bar feels good but my hands are as big as the hood on a 49 Cadillac. Good topic.

Drew Howard

Post  Posted 24 Dec 2002 6:21 pm    

I was just going to ask other 12 string players about this. I just traded for a Carter Single 12 and am using my regular 10 string bars on it but wondered who used 12 string bars. I think Larry Bell does.

Happy Christmas
Drew

------------------
www.newslinkassociates.com
www.drewhoward.com

Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2002 8:02 pm    

I think it depends on the style you play. Bottom line is, if you need to span 11 or 12 strings, you ain't gonna do it with a 10 string bar. I find that on the solo/unaccompanied stuff I do I'll need that extra string or two's span more often than for playing with a band. The extra weight doesn't help for bar movement or speedpicking, however.

I use a 15/16" BJS bar that's about 3 1/2" long -- I believe Bill sells that as a 12-string bar. Interestingly, I used a 1" diameter 3 3/8" bar when I did the tune referred to on this post and needed that extra 1/8" in a couple of places where I couldn't quite span the 1st thru 11th strings. A few 'silly millimeters' can make a lot of difference -- in length and diameter. I also find the weight of the 1" bar is cool for slow stuff, but REALLY gets in the way when you need to move it around fast. 15/16" works best for me, but as Gary says, hand size can be an important factor as well.

------------------
Larry Bell - email: larry@larrybell.org - gigs - Home Page
2000 Fessenden S-12 8x8, 1969 Emmons S-12 6x6, 1971 Dobro

Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2002 8:47 pm    

I used to use a 12 string bar on my 12 string guitar. But lately I have been using a 10 string bar.

I like full chords, and many times play a sweep of all 12 strings.

But I am getting used to the 10 string bar now and find it easier to handle all around.
Actually I notice my 10 string covers 11 strings.

Larry, I posted a reply on Steel Players on your great "Winter Wonderland". A fine rendition....Happy Holidy Season...al

Chris Forbes

Beltsville, MD, USA
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2002 3:56 am    

This may be just me, but I have a buddy who uses one of the big bars. I would swear it sounds better because he used my bar for a couple of tunes and it seemed the tone wasn't quite as good as when he used his oak tree of a bar. Has anyone else come across this or am I dreaming?

RON PRESTON

Dodson, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2002 4:33 am    

'A Few silly millimeters make a BIG difference in lenghth and diameter...That's what SHE said. Oh, sorry, I just couldn't resist..

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2002 6:17 am    

I use a 12 string bar. 1 inch by 3 and a half. I find it more comfortable.

It's really a matter of personal preference. So much about the steel isn't a question of what's right or wrong, or what's better, but what do you personally like.

Should I use the Emmons or Day set up? Should I have mey E raises and lowers on the left knee or the right? or on different knees? Should I get a D-10 or a single 12? What color is best?

The answer to all these is whatever feels right to you. What works for me might not work for you and visa versa.

I suggest you try out a few different bars and see which one you like.

Tim Rowley

Pinconning, MI, USA
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2002 4:26 pm    

I use a 15/16" BJS bar, I like that size better than 7/8", and 1" feels like a piece of pipe to me.

Tim R.

Reggie Duncan

Mississippi
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2002 10:03 pm    

Tim, I agree with you 100 percent! The one inch bar is just a little big for me. The in-between size 15/16 is just perfect for tone and handling!

KENNY KRUPNICK

Grove City,Ohio
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2002 10:11 pm    

I use a BJS 15/16, 12 String bar. I play the double neck 10 string. The reason why is more mass for tone. Gary Preston also uses one. Larry Cole also uses one,even though he plays 12 string universal,I believe it to be one of the best size bars you can use.