The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Marking Pedal Rods
Bob Tuttle

Republic, MO 65738
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2002 2:32 pm    

I've always had a problem with marking pedal rods with pieces of tape or filing notches in them in order to tell what pedal they attach to. The method I have used for several years is to paint the flat end of the connector with liquid paper, and when it dries, number them using a fine point permanent marker. It is very neat, easy to see, and lasts a long time.

Sidney Malone

Buna, TX
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2002 3:11 pm    

I took some of those sticky numbers that come with a blank VHS tape put a drop of glue on and stick it to the flat end. It's worked for 3+ years and haven't lost one yet.

Jim Eaton

Santa Susana, Ca
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2002 3:31 pm    

On the Sierra S-12 that I recently sold, it came with really cool little plastic wrap-around number tags. They were white with black numbers that were very easy to see.
I need to remember to check with them to get some to put on my Fessy. My PP has the rod numbers stamped into the connectors. The connectors are black and I smeared some white-out across the area and wiped off the excess.
JE:-)>

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2002 3:47 pm    

Hey, Jim
That 'white-out' idea sounds brilliant - I'm going to try it on my LeGrande; I can read the 'stamped' numbers in broad daylight, but that's about all!

My old 'Pro III' had the pedal # set into the bottom of the connector - really visible, even in a poorly-lit back-stage area. That's the only Sho-Bud I ever had - was that standard practise on those guitars?

For all the money these things cost, you'd think they'd have overcome that particular irritation by now. How do Zumsteels deal with it? (I'm waiting for my new one.... )

Mike Delaney

Fort Madison, IA
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2002 3:59 pm    

My Zumsteel has the plastic bands with numbers around the rods. You're gonna love it!

Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2002 4:32 pm    

My Carter came with the rods numbered! www.genejones.com

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2002 7:41 pm    

I just use 1/4" wide strips of electrical tape wrapped around the rods at different distances from the bottom. I can just hold all the rods in one hand and look for the one with the closest marker to the end and that goes on next.

------------------
Livin' in the Past and the Future with a 12 string Mooney Universal tuning.

Fred Einspruch

Alaska
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2002 5:02 am    

In Electronic industry there is a company called Brady, they make "Brady labels". One type is a set of white adhesive tape type labels that are already numbered. You just peel them off this blue cardboard/plastic backing and wrap them around a wire (or pedal rod). They would work great. Brady also makes these plastic thingies that "clip" around the wires, but it might be harder to find the right size for your pedal rods.

Bill Ford

Graniteville SC Aiken
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2002 6:06 am    

Brady also makes a round marker that is just the right size to go on the bottom of the connectors.

Bill

------------------
Bill Ford

Joerg Hennig

Bavaria, Germany
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2002 12:56 pm    

Roger,
I think it was standard on ShoBuds in those days since mine had them also until about half of them came off one by one and mysteriously vanished. I then wrote the numbers on the bottoms with a felt-tip pen but they dissolved into some weird illegible characters. At least I still know which "symbol" goes where.

Regards, Joe H.

------------------
One of these days, if I feel like it, maybe I´ll do it...!

Randy Beavers

Lebanon,TN 37090
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2002 12:47 pm    

I just got a used LeGrande II. I had to look real hard with good light to see the numbers on the pedal rod ends. I got a tube of artist acrylic white paint, from Wal-Mart.
Just "dab" it into the numbers and then take a wet rag, like t-shirt material, and wash off the outside. It will leave the paint in the number and it looks professional. This is the same method to do paint fill in golf clubs or any engraving. You could even use a fluorescent paint. Shows up great even in dim light.

Michael Johnstone

Sylmar,Ca. USA
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2002 1:01 pm    

I use the Brady tape wire numbers but also put clear heat shrink tubing over them to keep them from getting loose and falling off which they eventually will otherwise. I also keep a mini maglite in my case for setting up in dark club situations.