The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Bobbe's NEW fingerstyle video????
MUSICO

Jeremy Williams in Spain
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2002 7:03 am    

In a recent topic on GFI guitars Bobbe entioned that he had just finished recording a nes fingerstyle video on a GFI.

Bobbe ¿WHEN CAN WE ORDER? the first one was great.

Jeremy Williams
Barcelona Spain

Bobbe Seymour

Hendersonville TN USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2002 12:31 pm    

This one is much more detailed than the first tape where I just "touched on" this style. If a player has any talent at all, this video will make a thumb-player" out of him.(or her) Just do what I say, practice, and it will come. It is all explained carefully in this tape. The best part of this whole deal is the low price, only $24.99 plus s&i. I promise, anyone can do this complicated sounding style easily by just doing what I say.
Bobbe

Glenn Pezzillo

Langhorne, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2002 7:40 am    

I'm not sure what fingerstyle means with regard to the steel. Does this mean without finger picks?? If so, then I'm definitely interested. I've played classical guitar for years and I struggle with using metal fingerpicks on the steel. It does seem difficult however to get a bright sound on E9 without fingerpicks. Does your video get into this at all?

Bobbe Seymour

Post  Posted 10 Dec 2002 8:58 am    

Greg,
Finger style means, playing chords and melody at the same time, like a piano player playing rhythm and chords with his left hand and the melody with his right, (or visa versa if he wishes). Like Segovia playing part of the chords (with a rhythm) and including the melody also. The majority of steel players have been ignoring any style except the most elementary, basic for the entire life of the instrument. I feel steel players need to expand the boundaries of what has previously been done. Let me put it to you in this light, why have twenty strings, five knee levers, and eight pedals, just to play one note at a time? It doesn't matter how many pedals or knees you have if you play ONE NOTE AT A TIME!
After hearing steel guitar for my lifetime, I've about heard all there is on ONE NOTE AT A TIME! I'm offering the steel community a chance to break this stereotype mold and to offer the listening public a chance to hear steel guitar played great like "classic guitar", "Travis-Atkins" guitar, "Van Epps" guitar etc.
Yes, I did this whole video with NO finger picks, but it could have been done just as well WITH picks, that's not what this is all about, this is about taking the steel guitar to a new level.

Bobbe Seymour

Post  Posted 10 Dec 2002 8:51 pm    

Open mind, learn new things and take steel in a new direction, this is every steel players job and will benifit all steel lovers everywhere. Lets prove to the world that there is more to steel guitar than they have seen so far. I don't think we have scratched the surface of what this instrument can do yet. Look at the vast styles being played on standard guitar. Hey guys, listen and learn new things that the entire populus of the world can "get into".
Whats coming out of Nashville on record isn't one percent of even what these great players can do. Paul, Tommy, Hal,Maurice, Buddy,Steve, etc. can play a thousand times more than producers will let them, and would love to do so.
We can help, just support new great steel guitar and attack ignorance of steel guitar with great new styles and tremendous ability, and play it fearlessly. Learn! Learn! Learn new styles, new directions and be proud to let everyone hear it and be proud of what you can accomplish. Finding teaching material now days is easy and very inexpensive when you do. If you can't learn great steel now days , you just don't want to.

I. M. Hawkinstuff

Bill Ford

Graniteville SC Aiken
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2002 5:53 am    

Bobbe,
Will the video work for E9 or just C6,I only remember seeing you use C6? I have a standard E9 S12 with G# and E added.
BF

------------------
Bill Ford

Bobbe Seymour

Post  Posted 12 Dec 2002 8:39 am    

It will work fine Bill, it's the right hand we are concentraiting on, not what the left hand is doing.

Bobbe Seymour

Post  Posted 15 Dec 2002 5:10 pm    

Roy Thompson plays this style on E9th very well! As a matter of fact I also play a little thumb style E9th on this video but I explain that it is easier to play on C6th. However,---------> It can be done!( and Roy makes it sound good!)

Bobbe

KENNY KRUPNICK

Grove City,Ohio
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2002 9:44 pm    

Hey Bobbe, somewhere along the line here,I'm going to order the first volume of your thumb and finger style video.

Jack Klein

Alpena, MI, USA
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2002 11:27 am    

hey Bobbe, when can I expect my video?
I ordered when it became available.
thanks Jack

Bobbe Seymour

Post  Posted 17 Dec 2002 3:11 pm    

Jack, about five days should do it my friend.
Bobbe