The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tuning recommendations for a Fender 400
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2002 1:49 pm    

ok---here's the deal. A 44 year old fellow plays guitar in a rockabilly band. He has messed around a little on a lap steel. He just bought a Fender 400. He wants to play steel for enjoyment and for the occasional song on the stand. He is not committing himself to the single-minded pursuit of PSG. Nor is he going to buy a 10 string guitar anytime soon (although you never know what might happen if the bug bites him good).

So----this has been discussed before but I've never found a good answer when someone asks me. For this guy in particular, is he better off with the lower 8 strings of the E9 neck, B to G#, low to high, or is he better off using the modern 'chromatic'strings and losing the low B and D? It is so 50/50 in my mind that I can't figure what to tell him, although for his rockabilly, retro interests I lean toward the pure 8 without the chromatics.

What kind of wisdom is out there?

also---can this guitar take an .011 on the G#? Or does it need to be tuned down to D9?

Michael Johnstone

Sylmar,Ca. USA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2002 5:54 pm    

If it's a later model with the rocking cam changer,it'll take any tuning without breaking strings.If it's an earlier model with the little wire loops dragging the strings over that fixed non-rolling bridge,you'll indeed need to tune down to D9. I had a 400 when I was first starting out and tried it both ways - first losing the chromatics then losing the low B & D. Both ways were unsatisfying and I soon got rid of it and got a 10 string guitar. If I knew then what I know now or if I was even was going to play that guitar today, I'd put a C6 tuning on there.You could do a lot w/4 pedals and it would be great for rockabilly and retro country. -MJ-

Doug Seymour

Jamestown NY USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2002 6:11 pm    

Jon, try him on C6th with the inside 8 strings. No G or D on top & no C on the bottom. Pretty good starter into music rather than just pedal mashing on E9th. How many pedals on this 400?? OOPS! I re-read your post Jon....you said Rock-a-billy! let him mash, they won't be into music (w/theory & all that stuff) so let him go with the D9 maybe. I'm supposing no KL? They were not stock anyway?? Forget the top 2 strings! The chromatic runs etc are for country, right?

[This message was edited by Doug Seymour on 24 November 2002 at 06:16 PM.]

[This message was edited by Doug Seymour on 24 November 2002 at 06:19 PM.]

Alvin Blaine

Picture Rocks, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2002 1:12 am    

A few years ago I went from using a Stringmaster to a Fender 400(now I have three of them). They origanaly came with an A6 tuning and I tried that, but kept breaking strings so I just droped it down a whole step to G6 and thats what I've been using the past three years and havent broken a string yet. I don't remember what gauge the strings are, I just did a trial and error on it. If the string was to heavy it broke and if it was to small it sounded thin.
___P1__P2__P3__P4
G______________A
D__e
B______c
G__________F#__A
E
D__e
B______c
G__________F#

Sometime you end up using your right foot on the pedels more than the volume, but it makes it fun.
On another note, a fellow forumite came out to see me play last week and sugested that I ask around about someone who could change the cables on one of these to rods. Has anyone out there tried this?

[This message was edited by Alvin Blaine on 25 November 2002 at 01:15 AM.]

John Bechtel

Nashville, Tennessee, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2002 2:06 am    

I haven't personally seen it, but; I know it has been done! I don't think it is worth the time and expense. The cables seem to be satisfactory! I would tune from 1 to 8: E,C,A,G,E,C,A,F (C6) with pedal#1 Lower 4-1/2 tone to F#, and raise 8-1/2 tone to F#. pedal#2 Raise 1-1/2 tone to F, and lower 5-1/2 tone to Eb. pedal#3 raise 2&3 1 tone ea. to D&B. pedal#4 raise 6-1/2 tone to C# and lower 8-1/2 tone to E. These are the same changes that are pretty much standard on the 10 str. pedals 5,6,7,&8. And C6 is a pretty good all around tuning for any style or type of music! If it breaks strings 3 & 4, I would drop to a B6 w/same guage strings. "Big John" http://community.webtv.net/KeoniNui/doc

[This message was edited by John Bechtel on 25 November 2002 at 02:22 AM.]

Doug Seymour

Jamestown NY USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2002 2:08 am    

I used to make my own cables, but I never tried making rods. I think you could & I'll bet it might be great if you were enough of a mechanic to get the cross shafts & bell cranks made. Go for it!

basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2002 5:00 am    

Hi Lads,
I think that the Rockabilly style would be best served using a pedal set-up that encompased the three main chord inversions.
E6,(Root on top) A6, (5th on top) and C6,(3rd on top) A guitarist can relate very easily to these tunings. ie. 3rd fret = G-C-Eb etc.

this CAN be done on a 4 pedal set-up, and include Maj7ths 9ths and 13b5ths
Forget the E9, Even In an 8 string format it's still too "Country" for Rockabilly.
Use something like these :- http://www.waikiki-islanders.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/tunings.html
The ones described as A7 etc.
I know these are 10 string , but they transfer to 8 string with no real diference.
Baz
http://www.waikiki-islanders.com

------------------
Quote:
Steel players do it without fretting

http://www.waikiki-islanders.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

Bill Ford

Graniteville SC Aiken
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2002 6:40 am    

Do anybody have Sneaky Pete's tuning?
I think he still plays a 400(and very well)
you might look at that one...
BF

------------------
Bill Ford

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2002 9:09 am    

Quote:
for his rockabilly, retro interests I lean toward the pure 8 without the chromatics.
I tend to agree. The 6th tunings are nice but there is plenty of that on e9 (mash those pedals).

The E9 requires a D string!! He will need lots of 9th chords and 13th chords.

Instead of high G# I might use high F#. But for a guitar player it is probably best to keep the high and low E strings that he is already familiar with:

P P
E
B ++C#
G# +A
F#
E
D
B ++C#
E
Then he can fool around with any other pedal changes.

Joerg Hennig

Bavaria, Germany
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2002 9:57 am    

Bill, Sneaky Pete´s tuning is here: http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum5/HTML/001960.html
It needs more than four pedals, though, and I´m not sure I´d recommend it to a guitar player who only wants to play some steel. Of course, ol´ Sneaky could play everything on it, including R´n´R´ kind of stuff.
I tend to go with Earnest´s suggestion. I used to play a lot of rockabilly guitar and also had a lap steel (didn´t know anything about steel guitar tunings in those days) and somewhere found a tuning chart for C6, but could never really relate to it. As has been said, a guitar player can relate to E9 much easier and forget about the chromatics, they were not invented yet in the heyday of rockabilly.

Regards, Joe H.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2002 11:13 am    

Top notch suggestions, everyone. I have alerted him to this thread and I think it will be real informative for him. With what I gather about his needs and desires, I do believe that an E tuning of some sort is what he's looking for and I agree that the D is a must. I thank you and I expect that he appreciates the help too.

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2002 5:11 am    

A couple of steel player from my old days in LA used the E9 or D9 on a Fender 400. What they did was tune it like this (Low to High)
D E F# G# B E G# F#. With the regular E9 floor pedals you can get a whole lot of good stuff on this tuning. Also try tuning pedal one to lower the G#'s to G. You can get most of the Ralph Mooney jewels on this tuning too. And like E.Bovine said "Mash those A & B pedals"....You can get the 6th stuff like that or use the B pedal and the D string as a root for some more positions.

[This message was edited by Jerry Hayes on 26 November 2002 at 05:15 AM.]