The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Back to the Basics!
Reggie Duncan

Mississippi
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2002 10:42 pm    

I decided to get back to the basics with my rig. I have never had a rack or anything, but I have used some processing in my time.
Three weeks ago, I took off my Goodrich SS matchbox, and set my Profex on Reverb only.
Playing my 1979 Emmons through the Profex reverb into my Nash 400 has truly been a joy the last three weeks! Sounds better to me.

[This message was edited by Reggie Duncan on 09 November 2002 at 10:48 PM.]

Nick Reed

Russellville, KY USA
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2002 3:56 am    

Couldn't agree with you more!
Right now im considering using just a BOSS digital delay stomp box and doing away with my Pro-Fex. I'm gonna try that combination with my Nashville 1000's reverb. I'm tired of luggin around that rack case. I think too many effects get away from what the guitar really sounds like. And I like the sound of a BARE BONES EMMONS. Nick

Peter de Smet

The Netherlands
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2002 5:41 am    

Since a few weeks i play steel on my Kendrick 4212 tube amp with build in reverb only. And i must say i love it.Especially in the higher notes and the midrange. I don't need any effect with this combination because it is the pure sound that i like.

Peter

------------------

Terry Wendt

Nashville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2002 12:17 pm    

Hi Reggie,

Been There
Still There
Lovin' every minute of it!

When you coming to gNashville Reggie?

------------------
TheEarlyDays.com

and appearing regularly...
Jimmy Crawford/Russ Hicks... and Buddy Emmons on Bass! aLotOfSpace.com

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2002 12:30 pm    

Drew Howard

Post  Posted 10 Nov 2002 3:33 pm    

My signal chain is pretty simple, too.

Fessy>Matchbox>Nashville 400

Very rarely a Zoom pedalboard for delay.

In a barroom, who is going to notice a little echo?

Drew

------------------
www.newslinkassociates.com
www.drewhoward.com

Reggie Duncan

Mississippi
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2002 4:28 am    

Terry, our band was scheduled to play at the Christian Country Music Association's showcase last weekend in Nashville, but we decided that we couldn't pull it off. Sure would have been nice tho! When are you coming my way?

Rex Thomas

Thompson's Station, TN
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2002 8:45 pm    

Had a nice chat with Ricky (Terminator - can hump 4 Sho-Bud Professionals & still get his solo in!! ) Davis about staying with the basics except in cases when you're situated next to the group's drummer, BLUTO. Then you grab your handy RV-3 out of the ol' pak-a-seat & your in business. http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum11/HTML/002646.html
But yeah, Reggie; if I'm on solid ground with no chance of shakes, the real deal reverb springs come ON. I agree. Back to the basics.

Sam White

Coventry, RI 02816
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2002 7:35 pm    

I play my Fessy thru a Nashvill 400 with a ProFex II with reverb and digital on it along with my Match box and use the no.1 on the front of the amp with my amp settings and reverb on 4.Now you want a sound I have it beleave me. I also have a George L PF-1 pick up in it.It is a fantastic steel and sound you won't beleave.
Sam White

Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2002 6:51 am    

I think that a lot of players(including myself) go through those "cycles" of adding effects units, twin speaker cabinets for stereo imaging, etc., etc. and then return to the single amp setup. I've stayed with the single amp setup with stock reverb and it is a satifactory setup for my personal tastes.

It doesn't hurt to experiment with the various gear on the market or one would never know what or if you are "missing out". But, Jimmy Day was always my favorite player and he had all of the soul and feeling that motivated me to try to play better and learn more licks.

Keep an open mind about products as the best is yet to come.

Jim Eaton

Santa Susana, Ca
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2002 9:37 pm    

I recently got a Boss-RV-3 digital reverb & delay unit to use with my Fessy SD-10 & Peavey 112 Bandit, shortly after I bought a Boss BR-8 digital 8track recorder that has the Boss digital reverb & delay built in.
I was very impressed with the sound I got plugging my Fessy directly into the BR-8 and using the internal EQ & effects to record, and wanted to get that sound live too. After searching the forum and reading about Lloyd Green using the RV-3 unit (and getting his settings here on the forum too!), I ordered one for myself. I am a very happy with sound I'm getting, in fact the guys in my band ask me if I got a new amp. I plugged my Tele into it last night and it sounds great too! As far as I'm concerned, this is now my "basic set-up".
JE:-)>

Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2002 7:01 am    

My rig is simple. My push-pull through an RV-3 to my Nashville 400 or my Twin Reverb depending whether I have to do double duty or not.

------------------
1985 Emmons push-pull, Session 500, Nashville400, 65 re-issue Fender Twin, Fender Tele