The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Autographed copies of the new Josh Graves Memoir
Anna Bartenstein

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2012 11:12 am    

Buy your autographed copy today!
Shipping expected to begin in late September.

http://www.fredbartenstein.com/book.html
or contact me by email through the forum to pay by check or money order.

$21.95 plus shipping

http://www.fredbartenstein.com/book.html

Bluegrass Bluesman: A Memoir
Publishing House: University of Illinois Press
Author: Josh Graves
Editor/Other: Edited by Fred Bartenstein;
Foreword by Neil Rosenberg
Pub Date: 9/1/2012
Pages: 176 pages
Dimensions: 6 x 9 in.
Illustrations: 41 black & white photographs
ISBN: 978-0-252-07864-4
Format: Paperback

The life and music of a bluegrass pioneer, in his own words.

A pivotal member of the hugely successful bluegrass band Flatt and Scruggs and the Foggy Mountain Boys, Dobro pioneer Josh Graves (1927-2006) was a living link between bluegrass music and the blues, maintaining ties with black artists and comporting himself as a classic bluesman with a gold tooth and snappy headgear. In Bluegrass Bluesman, this influential performer shares the story of his lifelong career in music.

In lively anecdotes, Graves describes his upbringing in East Tennessee and the climate in which bluegrass music emerged during the 1940s. Deeply influenced by the blues, he adapted Earl Scruggs’ revolutionary banjo style to the Dobro resonator slide guitar and gave the Foggy Mountain Boys their distinctive sound. Graves’s accounts of daily life on tour through the 1950s and 1960s reveal the band’s dedication to musical excellence, Scruggs’ leadership, and an often grueling life on the road. He also comments on his later career when he played in Lester Flatt’s Nashville Grass and the Earl Scruggs Revue and collaborated with the likes of Boz Scaggs, Charlie McCoy, Kenny Baker, Eddie Adcock, Jesse McReynolds, Marty Stuart, Jerry Douglas, Alison Krauss, and his three musical sons. A colorful storyteller, Graves brings to life the world of an American troubadour and the mountain culture that he never left behind. Also included are tributes from more than twenty of Josh Graves’ musical contemporaries and disciples, along with material on his instruments and repertoire.

“An excellent autobiography of a highly creative musician. Graves was a first-rate storyteller with a discerning sense of what was important in his many memorable experiences.” – John Wright, author of Traveling the High Way Home: Ralph Stanley and the World of Traditional Bluegrass Music

“Josh Graves inspired hundreds of musicians to pick up the steel bar and slide it over the strings of the Dobro.... It’s good and fitting that the story of this talented and influential musician is being preserved in his own words.” – from Neil Rosenberg’s foreword to the book

Born in Tellico Plains, Tennessee, Josh Graves (1927-2006) is universally acknowledged as the father of the bluegrass Dobro. In 1997 he was inducted into the Bluegrass Hall of Fame.

Fred Bartenstein has performed many roles in bluegrass music, including magazine editor, broadcaster, musician, festival MC, talent director, scholar, and consultant. He was named a Distinguished Achievement Award recipient by the International Bluegrass Music Association in 2006. Fred lives in Yellow Springs, Ohio.

Last edited by Anna Bartenstein on 6 Sep 2012 2:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

Howard Parker

Maryland
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2012 2:15 pm    

Patiently awaiting my copy Very Happy .

Noted bluegrass historian, scholar and teacher. Fred is "Mr Deep Catalog" (and a master of the flip chart)!

h

03\' Carter D-10
70\'s Dekley D-10
52\' Fender Custom
Many guitars by Paul Beard
Listowner Resoguit-L

HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2012 8:02 am    

I'm also in the waiting room.......

Allen Hutchison

Kilcoy, Qld, Australia
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2012 2:00 pm    

Can't wait to get my hands on it. Cool

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2012 3:26 pm    

I'm sure I'll get a copy, but just out of curiosity, since Josh passed away some six years back, whose autograph is on the book?

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

HowardR

Post  Posted 30 Sep 2012 1:29 pm    

I just received my copy and the autogrpah reads "Fred Bartenstein"........ Laughing

HowardR

Post  Posted 11 Oct 2012 5:52 am    

I enjoyed the book very much, particularly since it's in Josh's own words and I really derived a sense of the times and Josh's background....I recommend this book if you're a Josh/Dobro/Bluegrass fan......

I do think that it should have been made known that the book was autographed by Fred Bartenstein and not Josh Graves as inferred.....I didn't buy the book because of the autograph and it's not important to me......but for somebody else who would be looking forward to that.....they would be very disappointed......